Any Birders here?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd never paid much attention to swallows until this spring. We noticed a loner in the yard last Friday for a while then it left left and we haven't seen any since. I thought they must have scouts like with Martins so I googled it . Supposedly the lead swallow is an "early bird" and the lead Martin is a scout. I'm skeptical.

"Some folks think the early-arriving swallows are “scouts,” but the idea of sending advanced scouts is not really the birds’ style. Remember, we are talking birds, not the U.S. Cavalry. A swallow isn’t going to fly hundreds of miles north, check out the situation and then fly all the way back to tell the other swallows the coast is clear. The early birds are just early birds and that’s all."

Purple Martin “Scout”: The term scout is given to the very first martin(s) observed back at an active colony site each year. Scouts are the oldest individuals in the population, who migrate north as early as weather allows. They can be either male or female.

No Orioles yet , They usually show up on a rainy day so theres still hope. What they had to say about Orioles, early birds VS scouts. Scout birds are out at this time of year looking for food and homes as other orioles migrate north for the summer.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We had martins all the while I grew up at my folks house. I built a house the same as my dads and put it up at my place in the country. Had lookers but no takers. I have moved it at least 3 times and still no birds. They would come and sit on it and be around for a few days but no takers. I put up 2 martin houses at the lake and we have bunches. One of my neighbors has gords and houses also. I even took my home made house down and put up the same one that I use at the lake and have lookers again but no takers. Not sure but I might have to move it again. I would love to get a house full of martins. Love to watch them fly around and listen to them in the mornings and evenings.

Fish On!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
for anyone that cares, there are other options similar to bird buddy out there. just an fyi...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crows are moved in just like last year, so all that is to be heard and enjoyed is the overly loud and absolutely annoying Caw of the crow.

Makes me hate all birds

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crows are moved in just like last year, so all that is to be heard and enjoyed is the overly loud and absolutely annoying Caw of the crow.

Makes me hate all birds
1683822076671.png

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"Some folks think the early-arriving swallows are “scouts,” but the idea of sending advanced scouts is not really the birds’ style. Remember, we are talking birds, not the U.S. Cavalry. A swallow isn’t going to fly hundreds of miles north, check out the situation and then fly all the way back to tell the other swallows the coast is clear. The early birds are just early birds and that’s all."

Purple Martin “Scout”: The term scout is given to the very first martin(s) observed back at an active colony site each year. Scouts are the oldest individuals in the population, who migrate north as early as weather allows. They can be either male or female.
Now I know why the neighbor got so mad when I would shoot them with a slingshot or BB gun.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Makes me hate all birds
Kill a couple and they will move on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87