Any Birders here?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Applaud the effort with the purple Martin house but...,
Without a perch, I don't see them using it. (Overhead power line)., dead tree branches.ect.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not to worry about them using the house. I have the same floor plan in a Martin house that is in a cattail slough and it gets 4 pair every season.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Applaud the effort with the purple Martin house but...,
Without a perch, I don't see them using it. (Overhead power line)., dead tree branches.ect.
There appears to be a perch the entire length of the house below each row of holes. I've built similar houses and the martins are happy to use them.

Fitz

Established Member
I got into feeding the Goldfinches (and house finches) the past couple of years, but the price of seed is (like everything) getting out of control. Any place in Bismarck to find less expensive seed besides Lowes/Menards/Runnings?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've got a large hollow in a box elder tree near our driveway. Think women's basketball size. There's been a pair of wood ducks that have nested in it for the past 4-5 years. Just looked out the window tonight and they're back for another year!

So cool.....

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a pair of Coopers Hawks that must be nesting close. Pretty common to see them the last couple years. Like watching them harassing the blackbirds, and vice versa when they snatch on from the nest.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve lived in the Bismarck area my whole life and have never seen a Cardinal until last spring. It had a nest in behind the neighbors house and it is back again this year. Pretty cool!
Look at this fellow!:

1682306476858.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grampa had a never-ending war with those sparrows nesting in his martin houses - birdshot out of a .22 was his go-to

You best research the fix cuz I think the martins can't stand those undesirables nesting in their neighborhood - horribly racist birds that they are

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy that was quick , It will probably take off for a day or 3 and returns with a colony. Nothing here yet but we are usually a week or two later.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sluggo are they building nests ? They still haven't shown up here yet but we today we will get up to 70 degrees so won't be long now. They must remember the cold wind in these hills when theres still snow on the ground.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84