UND eliminated from the list

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The committee ranked the seven nicknames one through seven, with one being their preferred name and seven the least preferred. Continuing to play as UND/North Dakota was lowest on the list with 56 points.
Committee member and UND alumna Diane Hillebrand made the motion to eliminate the name after much discussion. Committee member and UND faculty member John Bridewell seconded it.
The motion passed seven votes to four.
In the rankings, which were done purely for discussion purposes, Fighting Hawks was the most favored name, receiving 33 points, Nodaks came in second with 34 points and Sundogs was third with 40 points.
Committee member and UND alumnus Lowell Schweigert said it was a difficult decision for him and ranked UND/North Dakota at four.

- - - Updated - - -

Must be envious of the Blue Hawks notoriety.:;:smokin

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fighting Hawks? I don't really see that growing on people. Sundogs seems ok. Learning experience at least for anyone who would need to google it.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe they think those 3 are better choices than staying UND/North Dakota. When they first started this process I thought a nickname would be way better but after seeing what they've whittled it down to, I have to change my mind and wish they'd stay with UND/North Dakota. I guess it's one reason I can be happy to be an NDSU alum, nothing offensive about bison.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
And with that...it turns into a shit show. My almamater will not get another dime of my money.

sparetire

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fighting Hawks? I don't really see that growing on people. Sundogs seems ok. Learning experience at least for anyone who would need to google it.

But also quite a learning experience for those who try to find the definition on Urban Dictionary. :eek:

I don't like the Sundog nickname because it doesn't seem very marketable to me. It's tough to represent in graphic form, and any potential mascot would have to be unrelated to the name, like that silly Thunder the Bleacher Creature was. Yeah, they could use a dog as a mascot, but that's not really what a Sundog is.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I honestly would like to know how/why the committee members voted 7-4 on this. From what I understand, "UND" was the most submittted nickname suggestion during the little voting contest. Not to mention preety much everyone I talk to who supports the University of North Dakota, does not want to adopt a new nickname. That name speaks for itself. The only way I can see why it was voted down was because the NC double A is pressuring the higher ups. Adopt a new nickname or else. Kelley still has the chance to add the name back to list before final vote. But Im not sure he has the balls to do what is right. ;:;rant Over

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhhh wait heres the reason.....“I think I know what the popular vote would be if we threw these seven names out there based on submissions we had back in April, but I would say I've had alumni and I've had people who are stakeholders at UND who have encouraged me by saying we should pick a nickname, and that nickname isn't' North Dakota because we're always going to be the University of North Dakota,” Schweigert said. “It's a time for some courage.”

;:;banghead

I hope the Ralph Englested Arena gets turned into the largest IHOP in the world! Okay now my rant is over. Haha!

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I wrong or did Ralph specifically say if the nickname changed the hockey arena was no longer the universities to use?
seems to me the Sioux no longer have an arena.
or do a dead man's will and testament no longer apply

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
But also quite a learning experience for those who try to find the definition on Urban Dictionary. :eek:

Hahaha dangit I just had to look it up. I now want to hear someone use the term sundogging in public.

I don't like the Sundog nickname because it doesn't seem very marketable to me. It's tough to represent in graphic form, and any potential mascot would have to be unrelated to the name, like that silly Thunder the Bleacher Creature was. Yeah, they could use a dog as a mascot, but that's not really what a Sundog is.[/QUOTE
Good point, a by definition mascot could look suspiciously like a rainbow. :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Am I wrong or did Ralph specifically say if the nickname changed the hockey arena was no longer the universities to use?
seems to me the Sioux no longer have an arena.
or do a dead man's will and testament no longer apply

I believe that was the case at one point. I think the position has softened recently with the "foundation" in charge. I always thought they would be better off demolishing the think so at least they could keep the revenue from the place. The "foundation" is there to make cash not do a solid for the school.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Karl Goehring (chairman of the committee and former UND star golie) wanted to keep North Dakota as an option, but apparently most of the other members wouldn't go for it. Pretty lame.

I would think at this point people are going to vote for Roughriders or North Stars. Some people are already bitching about the insensitivity of the name Roughriders, so I definitely hope they choose that one.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Karl Goehring (chairman of the committee and former UND star golie) wanted to keep North Dakota as an option, but apparently most of the other members wouldn't go for it. Pretty lame.

I would think at this point people are going to vote for Roughriders or North Stars. Some people are already bitching about the insensitivity of the name Roughriders, so I definitely hope they choose that one.

Curious as to what that's all about?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious as to what that's all about?

I think the roughriders fought with Roosevelt in some war against Mexicans or some such thing, so naturally to call a team the roughriders is like spitting in castros face.

#notahistoryteacher

#everythingisracist

#roughridersareeverything

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know, lots of groups of people have fought wars over the years and lost. GET OVER IT!

#politicalcorrectnessisgoingtokillthiscountry

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
A quote from some moron in the Grand Forks Herald today:

"The name 'Roughriders' always will be connected to Teddy Roosevelt, and always will be a reminder to American Indians that causes pain and anger."

The guy who wrote this was one and still is one of the biggest supporters of the Sioux nickname and fought very hard to keep it. Look him up; him and his wife wrote a book on it.

Went back and read his entire letter, he does look a little off base on his reasoning, however I can see some of his point on taking the Sioux name away from UND and replacing it with something that may sound hostile to some Indians, which shows some hypocrisy.

I would have left it with no name at all.

I graduated and Satan, a Sioux, and a Gopher. The only one that I have left is the one that I'd rather not admit. Dam pussification of America.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
A quote from some moron in the Grand Forks Herald today:

"The name 'Roughriders' always will be connected to Teddy Roosevelt, and always will be a reminder to American Indians that causes pain and anger."

That guy is a complete idiot, there were Native members of the roughriders, volunteers on top of it. "Buffalo Soldiers" I would understand, what a dipshit.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Rough Riders is the name bestowed on the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry, one of three such regiments raised in 1898 for the Spanish–American War and the only one of the three to see action. The United States Army was small and understaffed in comparison to its status during the American Civil War roughly thirty years prior. As a measure towards rectifying this situation President William McKinley called upon 1,250 volunteers to assist in the war efforts. The regiment was also called "Wood's Weary Walkers" in honor of its first commander, Colonel Leonard Wood. This nickname served to acknowledge that despite being a cavalry unit they ended up fighting on foot as infantry. Wood's second in command was former assistant secretary of the United States Navy, Theodore Roosevelt, a man who had pushed for American involvement in Cuban independence. When Colonel Wood became commander of the 2nd Cavalry Brigade, the Rough Riders then became "Roosevelt's Rough Riders." That term was familiar in 1898, from Buffalo Bill who called his famous western show "Buffalo Bill's Wild West and Congress of Rough Riders of the World." The Rough Riders were mostly made of college athletes, cowboys, ranchers, miners, and other outdoorsmen.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything is racist, but more so when it helps racism.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74