UND eliminated from the list

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
godzillafacepalm.jpg

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy who wrote this was one and still is one of the biggest supporters of the Sioux nickname and fought very hard to keep it. Look him up; him and his wife wrote a book on it. I think he was maybe pointing out the hypocrisy of naming a team after a group of people who fought against indians.

Very interesting, indeed.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy who wrote this was one and still is one of the biggest supporters of the Sioux nickname and fought very hard to keep it. Look him up; him and his wife wrote a book on it. I think he was maybe pointing out the hypocrisy of naming a team after a group of people who fought against indians.

The issue with Roosevelt is the opening of the reservations to more white settlement. Even with that Roosevelt probably shouldn't make the top 10 in presidents who did sneaky things to Natives.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they would have left North Dakota on the list, then that is probably what the people would have voted in. That is just kicking the can down the road to avoid moving on. Pick a new name and move on. The new students need a nickname to support. 3-5 years down the road, people will forget about it.

Oh, by the way, I am a huge Fighting Sioux fan but this is just getting ridiculous. People need to move on and welcome in the new name whatever it might be.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure on game day I'll be wearing a T-shirt with those nicknames on it, my rainbow suspenders, daisy dukes, and drinking an ice cold Zima.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they would have left North Dakota on the list, then that is probably what the people would have voted in. That is just kicking the can down the road to avoid moving on. Pick a new name and move on. The new students need a nickname to support. 3-5 years down the road, people will forget about it.

Oh, by the way, I am a huge Fighting Sioux fan but this is just getting ridiculous. People need to move on and welcome in the new name whatever it might be.

I have to disagree. Of course thats what people would have voted in, because thats what the people (majority) wanted! Why even hold a vote if the votes are ignored! Do not have to adopt some lame nickname, not just saying that because I dont want a new nickname, they are just terrible. Should have came up with something more clever like Tundra Honkies! Haha. I am truly dissappointed in this decision. Sure after some time the new nickname will be absorbed by new students, etc. But it will take some time. I just cant see myself buying any Fighting Hawk, North Star, Sundog, Nodak, or Roughrider gear or going to games or donating money, etc. The school WILL lose a lot of Alumni and fan support (including current students) over this bonehead decision. I hope they are happy with it. They would have been fine sticking with no nickname and still prospered. Those chickensh*ts on the committee knew if it was moved forward thats what people would choose. Whats your nickname? North Dakota, nuff said. :;:thumbsup Maybe I am just stubborn and hardheaded, but this really does grind my gears. Ol Hakstol got out at the right time.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure on game day I'll be wearing a T-shirt with those nicknames on it, my rainbow suspenders, daisy dukes, and drinking an ice cold Zima.

Don't forget the jolly ranchers for that Zima.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I, like Remm, was a Satan, Fighting Sioux, and then a gopher. These choices are downright laughable and is a prime example of what happens when a lack of leadership (Kelly) get empowered to represent all of our interests. My biggest beef with all this nickname stuff is the complacency that we (hard working, mind your own business, average Joe North Dakota folks) typically display during these controversies. Everyone saying, just deal with it, its life, lets pick a name and move on, ect, ect needs a swift kick to the gonads. The problem with going with the flow is that as soon as you give an inch, they'll try to take a foot. It happens with everything. Eventually we need to wake up, stand for principle, take stance that may be controversial and deal with the replications. The more I think about it, the less I care who gets offended by the name. Caring about all this feel-good crap has got to stop.

Sorry for the rant - this politically correct stuff drives me crazy! I need to go fishing :)

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I, like Remm, was a Satan, Fighting Sioux, and then a gopher. These choices are downright laughable and is a prime example of what happens when a lack of leadership (Kelly) get empowered to represent all of our interests. My biggest beef with all this nickname stuff is the complacency that we (hard working, mind your own business, average Joe North Dakota folks) typically display during these controversies. Everyone saying, just deal with it, its life, lets pick a name and move on, ect, ect needs a swift kick to the gonads. The problem with going with the flow is that as soon as you give an inch, they'll try to take a foot. It happens with everything. Eventually we need to wake up, stand for principle, take stance that may be controversial and deal with the replications. The more I think about it, the less I care who gets offended by the name. Caring about all this feel-good crap has got to stop.

Sorry for the rant - this politically correct stuff drives me crazy! I need to go fishing :)

Well said. Do you have any suggestions for a different nickname? Not just "North Dakota".

Fighting Sioux supporters are planning a few protests soon.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea, take the name that means the most out of it. Who are the people picking the name, throw out the name that was the most poplar. WTF

Throw that committee out the f-----g door and have the people that live here pick. WOW must be related to Obama This S---t pisses me off.

- - - Updated - - -

o and the committee would probably pick like flying pink praire dogs or some s---t like that. Sorry venting, stupid. Im not even alumni still pisses me off. I think Im better now. NOT

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering the deep tradition of the Fighting Sioux nickname and the pride that people had in it, I too believe the university should NOT pick a name at this time. Waiting hurts nothing. And after a few years maybe people will change their minds and be ready for a new nickname, really like not having one, the "pc" crap will go the wayside, or the silent majority in the tribes will tell the few anti's there's pride in nicknames not shame. Either way the only thing waiting hurts is one about to be past president's ego.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of these would be better:

Whitetails, Brush Wolves, Snow Geese, Pelicans, Sharptails, Channel Cats, Reds (reverence to the Red River flowing through town), or Glaciers (reverence to the formation of the RRV, and the fact that it's friggin COLD in GF in the winter).

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't drink Zima while wearing a Glaciers T-Shirt. I kind of like that one.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of these would be better:

Whitetails, Brush Wolves, Snow Geese, Pelicans, Sharptails, Channel Cats, Reds (reverence to the Red River flowing through town), or Glaciers (reverence to the formation of the RRV, and the fact that it's friggin COLD in GF in the winter).

I'm sorry, but I don't feel any of those names are marketable. If they were the whitetails, would you have a buck logo on the men's uniforms and a doe on the women's?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sorry, but I don't feel any of those names are marketable. If they were the whitetails, would you have a buck logo on the men's uniforms and a doe on the women's?

Victoria's Secret model silhouette for both.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still like the UND'ies idea....

Agreed. Perhaps Juanr's avatars would apply for temporary mascot status. New public mascot tryouts every semester including summer school.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77