Tommy Likes Wingies....and Meatloaf!

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tommy likes Wingies…and Meatloaf!

Got some fresh beef a couple of weeks ago and had some leftover ground pork. Mixed 1 lb ground beef with about ¾ lb. hot ground pork. Threw in a little bit of mustard and Worcestershire sauce, and seasoned to taste with…seasoning salt ( can use any seasonings you want really, I like Dakota trails Chuckwagon seasoning), garlic powder, and ground pepper. Added1 large egg with a couple tbsp milk, about ½ an onion and 1-2 hot peppers from garden (both finely chopped). Mixed altogether and let sit overnight. I dont do the bread or cracker crumb thing. Gotta let the meats speak for themselves. Just say no to fillers! Haha.

photo 2 (1).jpg

I just couldn’t let the rest of the smoker be empty, so I bought some wingies to throw on as well. Took some good BBQ rub and coated some whole wings. Tossed in ziploc and added about ¼ cup of vegetable oil. Tossed in bag and left sit overnight.

photo 1 (1).JPG

Fired up the Bradley to 275 the next day and put both wings and meatloaf in. Added a bit more bbq rub to wings. Used a combo of mesquite and apple wood. Cooked for about 2 ½ - 3 hours. Towards the end of the smoke I added some BBQ sauce to meatloaf and some wing sauce with a few special ingredients to the wingies. Finished on the Bradley at about 280 until the sauce glazed both the wings and loaf.
Turned out very good served with some tater salad and a boosh light or two!

photo 5 (1).jpg

photo 4 (1).JPG

photo 3 (1).jpg

photo 2 (2).jpg

photo 1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Every bit of that looks flippin amazing. Now I'm hungry ...

Is it good to eat right before bed?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks! And yes it is okay to eat/drink right before bed. Just have some peptol bismol on hand in the a.m!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks great. I have my wings perfected, but think I need to try that meat loaf

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good lord...........Daddy want. When you guys cook this stuff in the smoker do you guys roll smoke on it the whole time or just part of the time? Too much smoke exist? Curious, as I'm still perfecting the technique. Guess it's time to get some practice in this week, possible meatloaf incoming.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
For most things I throw in the smoker, I like atleast 2 hours of smoke. For the wings and meatloaf I had smoke going the entire time. Also depends on what type of wood you use. Mesquite is quite strong, but when paired with a fruit wood (apple, cherry) it is not overpowering at all. I guess it comes down to personal preference and how much smoke flavor you prefer.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every time I've tried to smoke chicken with the skin on the skin seems to get very rubbery. Am I doing something wrong?

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
MM, next time finish chicken with high heat. Throw on hot grill or pop in 500 degree oven. Will crisp that skin right up!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ummmm..... don't be holding back on this "perfected wings" thingy! Recipe please.

I dry rub them in a chicken rub that I purchased at Newbys Ace hardware, then I smoke them at 180* for about 2 hours, smoke the entire time, I take them off, put on a preheated grill at around that 400* mark. I then put homemade BBQ sauce on the upside while the bottom is getting finished off, flip and BBQ sauce the finished side until the other side is finished.

The trick is the smoke, the dry rub, then the high heat finish with homemade sauce. I use a variety of ingredients in my sauce, but the minced garlic in the sauce...oh boy does that make the flavor pop.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dry rubbed is my favorite. Famous Dave's makes a dry chicken rub called Country Roast Chicken that is pure awesomeness!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
bbq,looks like a 6 rack Bradley,did you add a 2nd heating eliment or fan?curious,I have the 4 rack with no issues other than sometimes I would like another couple racks and I herd the 6 rack oven needs extra heat and or fan.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
bbq,looks like a 6 rack Bradley,did you add a 2nd heating eliment or fan?curious,I have the 4 rack with no issues other than sometimes I would like another couple racks and I herd the 6 rack oven needs extra heat and or fan.

I have the 6 rack, works great in the warmer months, it needs extra in the winter months.
I have not added the extra element, I just heat up the garden shed I am smoking in when the temps get real cold. #guywhosmokesbetterthanme added to his, I just haven't bothered yet.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes it is a 6 rack. I am seriously considering adding a second element. I just wish the Bradley's came with a better heating element to begin with. When it is cold, it is very difficult to maintain a hot temp especially if all racks are used. Like Johnr said, normal weather is not a problem. Although with an added element, fan and PID, recovery times would be way faster in all temps. May be my project for this fall/winter.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx for the input,I tell ya what smoking ducks in the Bradley is great and the goose jerky turns out great as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76