Fishing Kayak Input Requested

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have one of these and they are by far my favorite way to fish. Super stable and easy to launch and load solo and fits in the box of the truck. sportsman_-_av1.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Dean!! I looked at those and you can't paddle them very well against current and the Sheyenne is notorious for long stretches of very shallow water where the motor shaft would smack bottom, not to mention the entire submerged forest a guy can't see. I am jealous as that would be PERFECT for some of the small ponds and sloughs around here. Nice Rig!!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah shallow can be a bitch. You can get around most of it by flipping the motor to a 45° angle and running it upside down. It's not the quietest way of doing things but alows it to go through water only three inches deep. I just run a small trolling mother on it and its a nice platform for sight fishing bass or trolling and hitting trees and rocks doesn't faze it a bit. My buddy has one as well and you should of seen the looks we got a few years ago fishing with them out in the main pack of boats down on oahe at cattail bay. It was nice because they are so maneuverable that we were able to get in much tighter on the flooded trees and absolutely crushed the big sow eyes. Actually had them out there in three foot rollers one day and they handled it better then most of the little 12 and 14 foot lunds and other metal boats.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hadn't seen that product before tikka. Thanks!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You fish in town much? I spent countless hours fishing at my grandma's house there in town catching a little bit of everything back in the 80's and 90's. Her house was the first one on the south and west side of the bridge south of brothers III.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure do!! I've caught some real nice fish from under that very same bridge at various times of the year.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would indeed, however I am torn between spending the cash and getting most of what I want or spending less and settling for less. At this point I'm thinking back to my first boat and all the items that it didn't have that I have now because I didn't want to fork over the sheckles. With the amount of time I spend muddin' every year and the waterfowl opportunities I could get myself into in the fall, I am leaning toward NOT going cheap, but not being frivolous either and getting what I need to be safe and comfortable on the water.

Thanks BR for that little tip on tying yourself to the kayak. Would have had to learn that one the hard way I suspect. :;:thumbsup

A nice aluminum canoe with flat back for an electric or gas motor is the way to go IMO. Also on the sheyenne i think most of your fishing will still be done on shore even with a canoe. The canoe is just the means to get to new spots and then pull her up on shore.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the suggestions Guys. This is what I'm looking at except without the go pro mounts.

Sexy-Girls-Coffee-07.jpg

That thing needs a Ma Duece pintle mount.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread KDM!! To your question above, SOT kayaks likely are better options for casting and landing but I have always been partial to the sit in's. Tracking is the reason that I like the site in style as the SOT's that I have tried do not seem to track as well. I prefer the Old Town to the Wilderness System (Pungo) for fishing as they are a bit wider and allow for easier access to gear. I really do not mind casting, but netting feisty fish can be a bit of a challenge:) I spent a lot of time on the Cheyenne.. growing up in Cooperstown, and still do some hunting along the Cheyenne. Good luck in your decision...Happy kayaking !!

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey KDm, I picked up an Ocean Kayak Predator 13 last year and used it on Sak, Darling and Buffalo Lodge. It is a sit on top. It is set up as a fishing rig. Great below deck storage, built in rod holders, plenty of space to mount electronics if you want. I have paddled Audubon for 8 hours straight "trolling" without getting to worn out. Only flipped once, my fault trying to reach too far. I don't know about standing up and sight casting, Have not tried and no interest in standing up in small boats. I really try not to make a fool of myself too often. If you are in no hurry I suggest trying sit in and sit on top first. Sit in is more stable, but a little harder to get back in if you flip. The sit on top puts your center of gravity higher up, hence not as stable, but much easier to re-enter (see above). Also the whole self bailing thing is nice. Be cautious of very wide kayaks. Yes they are more stable so you can stand up but a lot harder to paddle and a bitch when the winds are up (think sail area).

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably a fairly true assumption Enslow.

Good Stuff Wirehair and Orcus!! I'm learning that you kind of have to pick your poison when choosing a kayak. You give up some of one thing to gain in another. Give up speed to gain stability or gain maneuverability, but give up storage. Thanks for the insights Guys!!!

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been toying with the idea that I want to tangle with a catfish from a kayak for years. I researched all winter last year and purchased a Wilderness Systems sit on style. I have a Helix 5 and some other stuff to make it a cattin machine. Step one was to learn how to not drown or tip on it before I got into the river with it all rigged up and not tip or lose everything. That is as far as I got. I learned how to get in and out without tipping and how to paddle it. I just didn't have the time to go. It is still very high on the to do list.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would you tether your fishing rod to the kayak?
Would hate to roll the yak and lose a few hundred dollars of rod

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Big Rig kayak has a rod trough on each side of the kayak that secures your rods to the kayak when not in use. The rod tip slides under the front protective plate and you bungee the reel in place. It's one of the cool features of the Big Rig so when I'm in the trees or close to shore my rod tips aren't vulnerable to damage. The rest of your gear is "Supposed" to be in the storage lockers or under the cargo netting so if you flip, you just climb back on and go. That's the idea anyway. I'm SURE the realities of this are FAR different than the brochure, which is why I'm trying to get as much real world experience and info as I can.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Morning KDM, I learned the hard way, make sure everything is either tethered or floats. It is not like fishing off a tin can. If it falls, it falls in the water. I am getting a floating sleeve for my phone this year. I agree with Captainbrad, spend time in shallow water and learn how to get back on the horse. It is not if, it is when you will go in the drink. The initial response is panic, but it is pretty easy to get back in. Getting everyting sorted out takes a couple minutes. From experience it is not fun when you have a fish on.

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried fishing out of a 8ft or 9ft aluminum boat? A 50lb+ trolling motor kicks it around incredibly fast and will zip you up and down tiny rivers (James River - pretty narly in places before and after Jamestown). My river gear fit in a small tackle box that goes inside my hoodie sweatshirt front pocket. 1 or 2 rods with 10 pound fireline or whatever no stretch line to get out of snags with a small bucket of minnows. If you stuck a back rest in the middle of the bench seat, that could be a sweat set up.

Whatever you pick, you should keep the thread update with your adventures

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's one of the things I'm hoping to avoid by buying a kayak designed for fishing. I spend days and days muddin' on the Sheyenne and fishing with at back acke really turns the fun meter down. What kayak do you have fishsticks if I may ask??

I believe we got it at sams club or something. It is very similar to the Lifetime Tamarack Musky Angler (googled fishing kayak)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah Orcus, I've waded after fish and ducks enough to have "Baptized" myself more times than I care to count and my reaction is always the same. The "Holy Crap that's cold" followed by "Now it's time to get out of here" and ending with "That Sucked" and "Where's my Shieza" Do you have any pointers or a priority list on items you've found useful in your efforts to keep all your equipment on board??

Kraken, I have a 12 ft jon boat that I tried a couple of times and it's just to bulky for me to heft around by myself. I guess I haven't looked at a smaller one either. I'll add that to the list of possibilities. Thanks!!

Would an aftermarket seat help for your kayak fishsticks???

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
An aluminum canoe would have room for another person also. Just sayin...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 8