2016 Lake Sakakawea Land Transfer

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's assuming they will open those areas up.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think there is any indication that anything will be opened up at all. At least at this point we know who we can pressure to relax of their pointless rules. Will they do it? Very unlikely, yet at least we pretty much know where we stand.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boys, this has nothing to do with access for hunting and fishing (but it could), it has everything to do with a pipeline passing under the lake. Obviously the tribe has been talking with the regime.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Boys, this has nothing to do with access for hunting and fishing (but it could), it has everything to do with a pipeline passing under the lake. Obviously the tribe has been talking with the regime.

Never thought about that. Something to consider.

mounty

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the armed thread to see why federal transfer of land is a great idea per the argumentsame of GST and Fritz's the Cat. They have spent 70 pages saying that federal lands should be transferred. I wonder if that means only to the 50 states or the sovereign nations too?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The state is going to STFU apparently and let this deal slide. No surprise

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
After everything that the Obama Administration has done to stop the Keystone Pipeline from being constructed, someone thinks that this land transfer by the Obama Administration is being done to facilitate a pipeline under Lake Sakakawea??? Doesn't pass the smell test IMO!

Steve.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who cares about pipelines crossing the lake. The idea of a land transfer back to the tribes takes away land from the public and should be the biggest focus. I agree it should not be given back and should be bought by he new owner. This could really hurt the state if we don't take a stand.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
so let me get this straight. we are ging federally managed land back to the tribes because we the federal government and state government cannot afford to maintain these lands. but the federal government thinks a sovern nation that we fully subsidize in the first place can afford it? so in reality the feds say we cant afford it all while making us pay for it by using our own tax dollars to pump into the tribes anyways? im sorry guys but his is fucking outrageous! how much can grass cost to maintain anyways? jesus this is stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

i have zero dog in this fight but its worth fighting for right now based off of principle alone. we have to stand up now because if we accept this itll get alot worse. this is there test shot. they are seeing how far this can go. i have little knowledge on any if the legalitys on this but i hope there is somebody or a group getting a lawsuit ready now. tim? friends of sakawea? im just a common man but let me know what i can do

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
so let me get this straight. we are ging federally managed land back to the tribes because we the federal government and state government cannot afford to maintain these lands. but the federal government thinks a sovern nation that we fully subsidize in the first place can afford it? so in reality the feds say we cant afford it all while making us pay for it by using our own tax dollars to pump into the tribes anyways? im sorry guys but his is fucking outrageous! how much can grass cost to maintain anyways? jesus this is stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

i have zero dog in this fight but its worth fighting for right now based off of principle alone. we have to stand up now because if we accept this itll get alot worse. this is there test shot. they are seeing how far this can go. i have little knowledge on any if the legalitys on this but i hope there is somebody or a group getting a lawsuit ready now. tim? friends of sakawea? im just a common man but let me know what i can do

BINGO!!! We have a winner.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
After everything that the Obama Administration has done to stop the Keystone Pipeline from being constructed, someone thinks that this land transfer by the Obama Administration is being done to facilitate a pipeline under Lake Sakakawea??? Doesn't pass the smell test IMO!

Steve.

They are not doing the land transfer to facilitate the pipeline, They are doing it to prevent it. I'm sure the tribe wants possession so they can prevent it once they own it.

The pipeline is not the Keystone either. The pipelne will go from Keen to Palermo. The regime can't directly stop it by law, but if it can facilitate getting that land to the tribe it will certainly provide grounds for a nice lawsuit.

JoGa

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lawsuit that will lead to a bigger pay day? Or to actually stop it? So many questions with this ...

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the armed thread to see why federal transfer of land is a great idea per the argumentsame of GST and Fritz's the Cat. They have spent 70 pages saying that federal lands should be transferred. I wonder if that means only to the 50 states or the sovereign nations too?

Allow the obvious to be pointed out.

1. the concern here arises from a lack of being able to impact the FEDERAL Corp of Engineers management of these lands.

2. it has been a consistant statement these lands should be transferred back to the states, any insinuation that includes sovereign nations is a disingenuous fools ploy

So mounty/wstnodak after making this statement, would you answer one question? which are you most likely to be able to impact, the Federal Corps management of these lands, or a state agency answerable to your elected state representatives whom you may run into at Menards or Perkins or sit by in church?

I can introduce a bill thru my state legislature to allow access to the shores of a lake the state manages, and then testify myself in support and get others on sites like this to join me, what is the process to gain that thru a lake the Corps. manages? Submit comments in a public comment period that are largely ignored? File a law suit spending hundreds of thousands over several years only to be shot down in a Federal court?

If anything this is a great example why states are better suited to responsively manage these lands in conjunction with how the people that actually live in the state wish. Thank you for pointing that out mounty.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are the owners of these lands still alive? And are they buying the land back at fair market value? The offspring of a once owned piece of land, does not constitute a former land owner.

If my grandpa owned some land in south Fargo and the government took it from him at fair market value at that time in history for a needed school house, at what point is that land now going to be giving back to me? What the eff did me being born have anything to do with that land?

At no point should this land be given to anyone, other than the highest bidder.

sovereign nations need to be assimilated back into the grand old USA also, you are either an American or you are not. This racism of classifying groups of Americans on their heritage is as outdated as yesterdays farts. Are black folks in Europe considered African Europeans? if so I guess the Europeans are as effn retarded as our PC politicians and the divisions they force us to live with.

at what point is government owned land that was purchased by the government with our tax money not all or our lands? and if the government no longer wants the land, and is looking to no longer own, maintain, and over see this land, than us (the tax payers) that bought the land in the first place are the ones who need to over see the sale of this land, and at no point is this land to be gifted to anyone, indian or former land owner.

How is this even a legal proposition? If the house I once owned in south fargo still mine somehow after I sold it?

mounty

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. I will not engage in GST'S question scheme

2. I don't know who Wstnodak is.

3. Is not transferring federal land to a tribe the same as to a state? Be careful of your answer you wouldn't want to be pinned a racist.
You say this is a perfect example of why federal land should be transferred to states. It seems the the sovereign state of ND or the sovereign nations of TAT would be the same type of transfer. The COE is corrupt, The TAT government is corrupt and the ND govt is corrupt. Either way the majority will be screwed. At least, like it or not the COE manages for true multi use. Power, transportation, recreation, agriculture via irrigation and that nasty habitat/conservation. We know what we have now. Let the other corrupt governments be in charge and who knows what will happen.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

3. Is not transferring federal land to a tribe the same as to a state? Be careful of your answer you wouldn't want to be pinned a racist.
You say this is a perfect example of why federal land should be transferred to states. It seems the the sovereign state of ND or the sovereign nations of TAT would be the same type of transfer. The COE is corrupt, The TAT government is corrupt and the ND govt is corrupt. Either way the majority will be screwed. At least, like it or not the COE manages for true multi use. Power, transportation, recreation, agriculture via irrigation and that nasty habitat/conservation. We know what we have now. Let the other corrupt governments be in charge and who knows what will happen.

You are f'ing delusional if you think the state and tribe are them same thing. Call me a racist or what ever you want but its the truth. Most know where i stand on the state getting the federal land as i dont trust they wont just sell it. But it is a hell of a lot better than the tribe i dont have the time to show all the epic failure tribal management

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tribe has already approved pipeline crossing. It's no surprise given the fact a tribal member(s) are part owners in the company.

Some say access will be better paying a 30 dollar access fee. Play that card if you wish. I have not been able to purchase a deer rifle tag for many years because the tribe thinks non-members do not need a tag. So that means 30,000 acres I could hunt are now gone, completely for the purpose of a rifle tag.

Gst, authority does not exist to transfer to the state and most likely never will. The 30000 acres available for grazing bids will now be controlled by the tribe. You won't necessarily like that outcome. Come take a look at the acres of quality farm land turned to weeds because the leasing tribal member asks erroneous amounts of cash rent. That's hundreds of miles of shoreline cattle could find a tough way to water.

The tribal game and fish really only agrees to the MOU with NDGF because the Corp land created a negotiation piece. We pay them 25000 not to charge access fees and require tribal fishing licenses. So who's to say what's next?

Hundreds of thousands of taxes in lieu will be gone to counties within reservation.

The list can go on.

Bottom line there are no excess acres per definition. In the 90's they came up with 7000. In 2004 they came up with zero. Now 30000? And all they quote in the FAQs is a surplus property act with no indication of criteria on how? It's ludicrous.

But it's here. So I persuade you tell your officials you want the state and counties to sue. At this time, about only recourse because like politicians trying to get elected all we did was piss and moan. Complacency kills the cat, not curiosity.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

If a transfer "MUST" occur, I'm against any give away. The lands in question were condemned, taken and the landowners compensated. The greater good for the greatest many. That is how public works get built. That said, if a transfer of excess lands must occur, then the landowner who's land was originally taken should have first option to purchase it back at "appraised value." And to be fair, that should include Natives. The way it looks now, the Corps is seeking money to pay for the transfer to the Tribes. That's dumb.

30,000 acres X $1200 dollars per acre = $36 million dollars. That amount of money could be used to operate the fed/gov for about 2 hours 15 minutes. Psh!!!

The Corps of Engineers Master Manuel says the land cannot be transferred directly to the State of ND. The State should rip a page out of the fed/gov playbook and create a non-profit. Place the land into it and at a later date transfer the land to the State. Ha

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

My apologies for making an assumption the tone of your posts regarding my comments seemed much like those of a poster known as wstnodak. Given some peoples decisions to hide behind a new moniker .................

I do find it a bit ironically amusing though your first claim is you will not engage in answering simple questions..........yet you then ask a question with an apparent expectation of an answer........

So to directly answer your question in a little less direct manner than kurt r :), no it is not. You seem to have a misunderstanding of the difference between a sovereign nation and a state. Perhaps if you take the time to learn that and come back we can discuss this further and then perhaps you would be willing to return the consideration and answer the question I posed you.

which are you most likely to be able to impact, the Federal Corps management of these lands, or a state agency answerable to your elected state representatives whom you may run into at Menards or Perkins or sit by in church?

- - - Updated - - -

Gst, authority does not exist to transfer to the state and most likely never will. The 30000 acres available for grazing bids will now be controlled by the tribe. You won't necessarily like that outcome. Come take a look at the acres of quality farm land turned to weeds because the leasing tribal member asks erroneous amounts of cash rent. That's hundreds of miles of shoreline cattle could find a tough way to water.

And that Tim is exactly why this is a good example of why many of these Federal lands should be transferred to a entity that is more responsive to the people that are most impacted by the management of these lands..........the people of the state in which they lie.

Despite mounties insinuation, I do not support returning Federal lands to another sovereign nation where the people of a state have no say in the management of them.

If these lands would have been being managed by the state, instead of simply posting a comment to a website, you could have introduced a bill to share your plans with others, gained support, testified in support, and ultimately chosen to run to implement change if the elected representatives in place did not seem responsive to the peoples wishes.

Now as you state, after those public comments have been largely ineffective, you are down to convincing these state officials to sue a Federal agency in a Federal court.

I have this funny idea having conversations over a cup of coffee or after church with a handful of elected state officials (or when they are out campaigning for re election in a public forum) might be a better option for positive results for how these lands are managed than the process you have showed exists with the Feds.

- - - Updated - - -

You are f'ing delusional if you think the state and tribe are them same thing. Call me a racist or what ever you want but its the truth. Most know where i stand on the state getting the federal land as i dont trust they wont just sell it. But it is a hell of a lot better than the tribe i dont have the time to show all the epic failure tribal management

You mean like the Feds are doing? ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37