"Excess" Corp lands above 1620 in Emmons and Morton Counties to Private Owners

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Excess" Corp lands above 1620 in Emmons and Morton Counties to Private Owners

At the Audubon tourney I was approached whether I heard about the "extension" of HB 1456. I said no, and the conversation turned to explanation. From what I'm told (and confirmed at state level) is the Governor's Office has sent a bill for introduction at the fed level. The bill will transfer so-called excess lands above elevation 1620 in Emmons and Morton Counties and then has language that enables the state to transfer to private landowners (heirs of original owners).

In principle, I'm a bit conflicted on this. But my opinion has always been I cannot support a transfer until I see legitimate proof excess lands actually exist to the project purposes as identified in the Pick Sloan Act and further cemented in the Master Manual. If land in fact was proven to be excess by some wild imagination then I could see a transfer. However, I question the cost associated to accomplish such a feat (researching heirs, deeds, recording, etc). Where is the net gain when you compare the loss of public access? It may be best served the land goes to a local entity such as township and county to utilize for possible public recreation areas, etc.

Anyway, why would a western North Dakota guy care about this? None of my business right? Well, as already mentioned the precedence is damaging to my beliefs being there are no excess lands. It's also damaging to access questions (the very questions the state, feds and public have asked about the Lake Sakakawea transfer). What acres are going, will there be access, how much will it cost, how will the properties be identified, what jurisdictions will control, how will NDGF be affected, how will water and other ROWs be secured and granted and the list goes on.

And in general, the land has been in the public realm for decades. It would be lost land forever to the public domain. Do we need to lose more public land?

Often I am told the state legislators are doing what the voters tell them, the state is doing what the legislature is telling them and the fed legislature is doing what the state is telling them.

So lets talk on that a bit, the bill was amended to remove private transfer (that's the people telling the legislators what to do). So the intent of the bill was obviously modified per the voters will. Here's where it gets questionable. The word "encourages" and "encouragement" are used in bill 1457. The state told me in conversation they have to draft the bill (as if it was a mandate). I disagree with that, encourage means the state should do what is right. Look at the case, look at the facts, look at the history of other transfer attempts, look at the concerns and then make a decision. There are thousands of lines of text written by Hoeven and Dalrymple (plus Stenehjem) taking a stance there are no excess lands, there are public access questions, jurisdiction uncertainties, funding and other issues related to Army Corp of Engineer land transfers that remain unanswered.

My point, how can the word encouraging combated with real-life-on-the-record opposition to previous land transfers be pushed through by the state? The Governor's Office should have had a backbone and took the position it always has.

Instead, since I'm forced to read between the lines it looks like Schmidt and Brandenburg have serious influence. After the resolution was passed $42,000 dollars was set aside for Eide Bailly to conduct meetings/hearings and sent out 520 surveys to adjacent landowners and cabin owners to project lands (only 210 were returned). It seems the 210 responses have convinced the state/feds that there is overwhelming support for a transfer. Do you think that's fair representation to a much broader subject? How much support really is there when so many questions are unanswered? Is this a case of Schmidt and Brandenburg telling the Governor to jump and he asks, how high?

I think we deserve public hearings which includes how the Army Corp of Engineers identifies so-called excess lands. Then the state and federal legislators can get a better idea of just how much support exists. Plus forces the Corp to be more transparent on how they derive lands in excess to project purposes.

Call the state and let them know how you feel!

http://governor.nd.gov/contact-us

Who to contact and how:

John Hoeven

Bismarck, ND
US Federal Building
220 East Rosser Avenue, Room 312
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: 701-250-4618
Washington, D.C.
338 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
Washington DC, 20510
Phone: 202-224-2551
Email:https://www.hoeven.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-the-senator

-----------

Heidi Heitkamp

Bismarck Office
228 Federal Building
220 East Rosser Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: (701) 258-4648
Washington OfficeSH-502 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2043
Email: https://www.heitkamp.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email-heidi

-----------

Kevin Cramer

Bismarck
220 East Rosser Avenue
328 Federal Building
Bismarck, ND 58501
Phone: 701-224-0355
Washington, DC Office
1032 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-2611
Email: https://cramer.house.gov/contact/email-me

-----------

Governor Jack Dalrymple

Office of Governor
State of North Dakota
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0100
Phone: 701.328.2200

Email: http://governor.nd.gov/contact-us

-----------

ACOE Project Manager: Larry Janis
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Attn: CENWO-OD-T Larry Janis
1616 Capitol Ave.
Omaha, Neb. 68102
Phone: 402-995-2440
Email: larry.d.janis@usace.army.mil

-----------

Linda F. Burke
Freedom of Information Act Officer
http://www.usace.army.mil/FOIA.aspx (link is external)
1-202-761-8557 (Washington D.C.)
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Omaha District
ATTN: CENWO-OC
1616 Capitol Avenue, Suite 9000
Omaha NE 68102-4901
Email: linda.f.burke@usace.army.mil

-----------
Maggie Oldham
Chief, Public Affairs Office
Omaha District - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Office: 402-995-2416
Mobile: 402-650-8154
Email: margaret.e.oldham@usace.army.mil

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an issue with land going to anyone because years ago it was once owned by a relative.

real life doesn't work like that.

keep up the good work posting this stuff, and keeping us informed.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
You folks down in Bismarck country realize there is a potential threat for you in the loss of Wildlife Management Areas, boat ramps and other public access right?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me too John. In fact, that is the single biggest issue I have with this. The land was purchased. It should have to be purchased back by the highest bidder if anything. Maybe come up with a realistic price and give the heirs a right of first refusal. But, the idea of gifting it back for free does not sit well with me. The loss of public lands is also concerning of course. But, given all the darn rules the corps has on these lands these days, it doesn't feel very public anyway.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You folks down in Bismarck country realize there is a potential threat for you in the loss of Wildlife Management Areas, boat ramps and other public access right?

I think that's part of the problem why there isn't a lot of commotion about this situation. We don't know what the impact will be.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bernie Kurtz had a great quote in our local paper a couple months ago. He said: never trust a democrat with your guns, and never trust a Republican with your public land. Good advice on both points.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called and left a message. Our 3 legislators support the deal if any of you are wondering.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This land better stay public. Private ownership is not good for the common man sportsmen

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would not want to see sportsman lose boat ramps or hunting access by the passing of this legislation. I do have friends that there families were forced to sell their farms and ranches to the government's use of eminent domain. It was quite an overreach when they told them they had no choice but to sell.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regardless of your opinion, contact the state and let them know it.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't there a ND legislator from south of Mandan that was pushing something like this a few years back? I think his family had some land around the granor bottoms area and he wanted it back

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bill says:
"The North Dakota legislative assembly encourages Congress to pass federal
legislation to return those lands and mineral rights to the state of North Dakota and the North
Dakota legislative assembly encourages the governor of North Dakota to work with the North
Dakota congressional delegation and Congress to secure enactment of necessary federal
legislation".
It appears to me the land transferred will go to the state, at least initially. If the land was bought and paid for by the feds, which is we the taxpayers, then how on earth can the land be given to anyone??? Shouldn't there at a minimum be an auction of the "excess" land? This stinks like a land grab to me, and the ones getting screwed again will be we the people.

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bill says:
"The North Dakota legislative assembly encourages Congress to pass federal
legislation to return those lands and mineral rights to the state of North Dakota and the North
Dakota legislative assembly encourages the governor of North Dakota to work with the North
Dakota congressional delegation and Congress to secure enactment of necessary federal
legislation".
It appears to me the land transferred will go to the state, at least initially. If the land was bought and paid for by the feds, which is we the taxpayers, then how on earth can the land be given to anyone??? Shouldn't there at a minimum be an auction of the "excess" land? This stinks like a land grab to me, and the ones getting screwed again will be we the people.

That's the HB 1457. The bill being written to be presented as federal legislation actually has verbiage that allows the state to transfer to private entities. That's why people need to call and ask questions about it. Telephone number in the first post.

But again, this means public lands will be transferred from federal property to state and then to private. How much to private? I do not know and that's an issue. Regardless of how much, as someone mentioned, those with heirs or adjacent land will definitely jump at the opportunity to get the land "back." Jim Schmidt and Mark Brandenburg are the key drivers behind the bill. I believe Schmidt for sure has land interests.

I still stand by the fact I need concrete evidence and explanation how lands are in excess of the Pick Sloan Act.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Regardless of your opinion, contact the state and let them know it.

I am not in favor of this legislation. I don't want to lose this public ground either. I was just explaining that the landowners didn't have a choice to sell the land and the government should not have forced them.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not in favor of this legislation. I don't want to lose this public ground either. I was just explaining that the landowners didn't have a choice to sell the land and the government should not have forced them.
If the govt didnt force land transfer, there would be no lake sak, bismarck would be flooded every spring and a small stream by august. The dams are a good thing for everyone from us down to the gulf of mexico. People who lost their farms and land were compensated, and Im guessing quite well, judging by how things like that have been done recently.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the HB 1457. The bill being written to be presented as federal legislation actually has verbiage that allows the state to transfer to private entities. That's why people need to call and ask questions about it. Telephone number in the first post.

But again, this means public lands will be transferred from federal property to state and then to private. How much to private? I do not know and that's an issue. Regardless of how much, as someone mentioned, those with heirs or adjacent land will definitely jump at the opportunity to get the land "back." Jim Schmidt and Mark Brandenburg are the key drivers behind the bill. I believe Schmidt for sure has land interests.

I still stand by the fact I need concrete evidence and explanation how lands are in excess of the Pick Sloan Act.

Tim,
I cant seem to find anything on HB1457 that you reference in regards to a land transfer. What I find pertains to firearms.......
http://openstates.org/nd/bills/64/HB1457/

Here is what I find in regards to HB1456
http://openstates.org/nd/bills/64/HB1456/

If Schmidt and Brandenburg do have interests in "free land" and are the ND Senators driving this legislation (which makes sense to me), then it is complete BS and they need to be run out of office. Talk about corrupt and selfish. I see where not only the land will get transferred, for no cost, but the mineral acres will go with it! Its a win win for the corrupt politicians and an obvious land grab to me. Another example of taxpayer rip off!! Who wouldn't want river bottom land, with mineral acres, given to them!!??

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the guy I was talking about

Representative Jim Schmidt

5165 Highway 1806 Huff, ND 58554-8721

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
[QUOTE=Colt45;

I see where not only the land will get transferred, for no cost, but the mineral acres will go with it!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if mineral acres and $ 100 Bbl. oil were the driving force behind this can or worms ?

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the govt didnt force land transfer, there would be no lake sak, bismarck would be flooded every spring and a small stream by august. The dams are a good thing for everyone from us down to the gulf of mexico. People who lost their farms and land were compensated, and Im guessing quite well, judging by how things like that have been done recently.

Actually, my grandparents were part of the people that were forced to sell their land for the dam and from what my mom has told me was that it was a take it or leave it offer and not a good one. They decided to buy some land that is by what is now the Audobon Game Refuge and moved the house where it currently sits...Mom has told me some interesting stories about the move. About 30 years or so ago, my dad and I went to Mallard Island and found the old foundation to the house. Heck, I could get behind this bill if that land was returned to the family-haha.

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member

Someone needs to put together a Map of the areas it will affect.

If you go off of the simple description of all land above 1620el. Then you are talking about 90%+ off all the little heart bottoms (Schmidt), same thing for Graner Bottoms. Those are just the large sections of land.

For the Emmons county side it doesn't look as severe in the northern parts, parts of the southern tip of the range, parts of badger bay area. But as you go south, all the public around Beaver Bay, Beaver Creek, Cattail, Langliers.....

We are talking thousands of acres. Many of which are some of the best public hunting, fishing, and camping areas close to Bismarck.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to do some research on their own. Download Google Earth and if you look on the lower right portion of the screen you will see the elevation of the land that the mouse curser is currently over.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93