"Excess" Corp lands above 1620 in Emmons and Morton Counties to Private Owners

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank God.

Never should any tax payer owned land be "given" to anyone but a legitimate buyer,

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let alone the self serving SOB legislator trying to gift himself a half section of land.

NAME????

- - - Updated - - -

All I know is that my favorite deer hunting WMA has become so choked with Russian olive and buckbrush in the past 10 years it's nearly impossible to hunt any more. Sharptails used to be thick in there and I haven't kicked one up in a half decade.

That's state land, if that answer your question...

sounds like that area needs a prescribed burn - which will get out of control - which will enrage everyone - best leave it tree chocked :(

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
NAME????

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like that area needs a prescribed burn - which will get out of control - which will enrage everyone - best leave it tree chocked :(

From an above article:

"Rep. Jim Schmidt, R-Huff, was a sponsor of a bill in the 2015 Legislature that asked Gov. Jack Dalrymple to put the transfer in motion with the Washington delegation. Schmidt said earlier his family would benefit if about 300 acres that are part of the Oahe Wildlife Management Area were returned and that he’d met with all the family’s 13 heirs on that possibility."

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
plainsman, can you tell us how many acres of private lands here in ND allow public access?
Why is it that every time you go after Plainsmen this image pops in my head?

monkeyfingafootball.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
NAME????

- - - Updated - - -

When I very first hunted there back in the late 90s, I'm like 99 percent sure they had a prescribed burn that year because I recall walking through some char as we rustled up grouse.

That's the last/only memory I have of any management whatsoever that takes place there. It has two small tracts that used to get planted with crops (which weren't wonderful because they often were still standing coming hunting season), but now have 6-foot-tall bluegrass instead. Lord know's why.

It needs a good burn and a skid steer with a brush cutting attachment.

- - - Updated - - -

And I know a manager hasn't set foot there in years because there are deer stands bolted to trees all over the damn place. From what I understand, these are supposed to be taken down every day. Some are so old they're nearly rusted out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
From an above article:

"Rep. Jim Schmidt, R-Huff, was a sponsor of a bill in the 2015 Legislature that asked Gov. Jack Dalrymple to put the transfer in motion with the Washington delegation. Schmidt said earlier his family would benefit if about 300 acres that are part of the Oahe Wildlife Management Area were returned and that he’d met with all the family’s 13 heirs on that possibility."

wow

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
GST give it a break. why can't you ask everyone that question instead of going after an individual, like always? And to answer, alot of private land in ND is not posted, meaning open to hunting, not necessarily "public access"....but I dont like the idea of losing public access to prime river bottom.

The quotes from landowners in that article are ridiculous. Definitely "both sides" of the story.

Well "everyone" is not whining about "land grabs".

But that is certainly okay with me if "everyone" wants to weigh in.

The simple fact is as you said many if not most land owners allows public access. Some require you ask, which to me is a simple curtousy. But there are those that will squeak loudly trying to get others to think land owners a "greedy".

Some are, most are not.

But it certainly seems like people here within the state weighed in and kept Federa,l lands from being lost to public access (as long as the Corp keeps them open)

So the fear mongering of the wolf/state will sell these lands might be just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing a little tax increase wouldn't help take care of for us. :::

I wonder (because I don't really know), if State managed lands are more frequently sprayed for weeds than the federal stuff? Anyone have some information on this outside of anecdotal observations?

Have friends that have pasture along side USFWS lands. The private land is sprayed every year and the noxious weeds are under control and actually decreasing. The Fed land is over run with weeds including noxious. Calls to the county weed board do not seem to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is it that every time you go after Plainsmen this image pops in my head?

15338619_10156217306521959_3426202957576622162_n.jpg
maybe that image is reminicent of your youth?

Do you spank your monkey a lot?

Did you never get picked for the flag football team?

Did you have a pet monkey?

I don;t know.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the deal guys. We NEED to have good conversations about these lands that these govts and agencies own. Despite accusations, I have little problem with an amount of public lands. But they need to be managed FAR better than they currently are.

Some are simply mismanged or neglected and others are managed by agendas driven by nonprofits that are in polar opposite of how these lands originally were brought into the public domain to be managed.

Those good discussion get derailed and what gets done when people come on here with stupid accusations and foolish crap. There are two other outdoor sites to take that crap too.

This representative (Schimdt) may have been doing what his constituents wanted him to do. Who here knows that? Isn;t that what we WANT our elected representatives to do?

Maybe he was just trying to get something for himself? Who here knows the truth?

But enough other people disagreed and stood up and spoke out and the states elected representaive at the Federal level listened.

It seems in this case just maybe things worked out how they are supposed to.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to post cliff notes for your post so those of us not interested enough to read your novels know what your talking about.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest you do what I did Dean. Block out the nonsense and every time you feel like arguing with a brick wall, write your congressman instead. It'll get you way, way, farther and the emails take far less time.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to post cliff notes for your post so those of us not interested enough to read your novels know what your talking about.

If you are not interested enough, why do you think I would bother writing a cliff note for ya.

- - - Updated - - -

The simple fact is despite some peoples claims the representative system of govt in our state does not work or only does what ag wants, when people took the time to be involved, it certainly seems like it did here.

So the next time people want to make claims such as that, remember this issue.

Kudos to Tim for giving a shit enough to get involved.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88