Do RED hooks make a difference??

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made a bunch of jigs with red hooks and was wondering how many of you folks think red hooks make a difference?? They cost over twice what a regular hook does, so I'm wondering if the cost is worth it.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tied up a bunch of 2 hook spinners with one red hook and one bronze or green or blue and mixed it up as to where I placed the red one. Most of the time, the fish was on the red hook, maybe 80% of the time. Not scientific and the makers of red line say it is near invisible in water so who knows for sure but I still use alot of red hooks, just in case. Haha

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes i do think red hooks matter for one reason over all others, the red coating protects the hook from becoming rusty and brittle. I have a container with hooks and all the cheap hooks are rusted and brittle.

Update

Now you give me gold bbs it doesn't matter what color hook I have on, I use a little hook just big enough to hook the leach. Gold gold gold

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
sometimes little things make a huge difference

I once attended a gathering of >90 fishermen at Devils Lake. Bite was really tough until one guy in the group discovered Lindy rigging with a blue bead ahead of the hooks caused a decent bite. So he told everyone that night and everybody poured into Walmart and other bait stores and every blue bead in Devils was purchased. The next day the bite was on... and those who had a blue bead - and only a blue bead - got bit.

I have tried blue beads since then on tough bites and have yet to get bit any more preferentially than other baits. ;:;banghead

so I am guessing that red hooks are like blue beads - yes, and no - it depends

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your talking about the color making a difference i dont find it to make a difference for me, if your pitching plastics you wont see any of the red the plastic will cover it up.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes, I think it does, and I seem to have better, or at least different success with red hooks. I remember one outing using slip bobbers in the tailrace and the bite was HOT! anyway, if we used a red hook with a minnow all we caught were trout, as soon as you'd tie on a black hook you'd catch walleyes, but no trout. Instances like these have happened to me several times, so I know it makes a difference.

The red might not make as much of a difference in deep water since red light disappears from the visible spectrum below 20+/- feet.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have on one occasion, for an entire summer, found that hook color make a difference. I have not had it happen since. However, based on that summer and me being well, me, I still use them. I don't use them on jigs but I do on lindys. Especially on slow death hooks and when I'm fishing with leaches.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never tried red hooks on a jig or spinners that I remember of but for a bare hook under a slip bobber it's all I use.
I can relate to Guys story in a big way.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have discovered in my years of fishing that sometimes the fish are biting that day for others on something that is not in my tackle box! Thus the incurable need to pick something up at the hint of driving by a store that stocks tackle!;:;boohoo Reminds me of a trip a couple of us took to Sturgeon Bay, Wisc to fish sconi waters of Lake Michigan for salmon a number of years back. We had tons of tackle for the excursion..or at least thought so..until we hit the tackle shop in Algoma...nope..the word was out they were hitting on something we didn't have in our tackle boxes so had to dig into the beer kitty for some tackle..hahaha..turned out they were right though as we did well!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised that any practicing scientists or engineers are able to stick with fishing sans HEAVY medication.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its all about contrast in the water and the color you are using. fish (see) the different contrast ( the blue bead) in that water for that year because of the contrast of the water that year. Fish don't see color just different contrast. The way I make sense of this is like seeing different shadows some are darker then others so when the bait in the water comes by a fish the fish see two different shades, the water as one shade and the bait as another because it is different and of course they also feel the vibration though there lateral line. correct me if I'm wrong but of all the stuff I read about this through different mags. this is what I get out of the it and I'm always willing to learn anything about what and how fish respond to things to make me better at this.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never tried red hooks on a jig or spinners that I remember of but for a bare hook under a slip bobber it's all I use.
I can relate to Guys story in a big way.

I have experienced numerous quality walleye bites while slipping bobbers - that keyed almost entirely on a certain hook color that depends seemingly on that particular day/scenario. Red is actually one of my least successful.

In fact....

Nope ... I've already shared too much. :;:howdy

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have experienced numerous quality walleye bites while slipping bobbers - that keyed almost entirely on a certain hook color that depends seemingly on that particular day/scenario. Red is actually one of my least successful.

In fact....

Nope ... I've already shared too much. :;:howdy

In the early 80s on Sakakawea one day I was being stubborn because I just knew there were fish over a particular piece of structure but the whole lake had lockjaw so I didn't see any point in running around. We were trolling spinners with quick change blades and had threw everything at them twice but my wife was digging around and found a purple willow leaf spinner. Myself and two pretty good fishermen watched my wife catch monster walleyes one after another and we couldn't buy a nibble. No exaggeration , If I did get the boat in gear between fish it was for about 10 feet and she would be fighting another one. I think of that day every time I see a big spread between 1st and 2nd in a walleye tournament. Sometimes it's location sometimes it's presentation but dumb luck is nice to have around.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12