Do RED hooks make a difference??

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
With baits with treble hooks, I've found that it can help sometimes to add a replace the front hook on a crank with a red one when they are just getting the tail hook or are just slapping at the bait. Definitely doesn't always work, though.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mn yes. Nd no. Imo the nd walleyes r boneheads and just plain humgry

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a plain pink hook tipped with a minnow on my dead stick ice fishing, it usually catches fish for me.

Pink is better than red. Seems like tomfoolery however it is not

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
water clarity makes a difference,guyz fishin the red river with a 2" clarity depth it won't matter,clear water absolutely down to 20',one of the local lakes I fish is gin clear,sunny days red and bubble gum color hands down makes the difference on walleyes in shallower water,the clarity of this lake like others in the area is about 18',red hooks/pink bubble gum are always the best it seems down to 20',one hot summer day I grabbed my snorkel and fins and dove down to check out different color hooks@ 20+feet,no sunlight beyond 18' and no matter the hook color they were all black.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
water clarity makes a difference,guyz fishin the red river with a 2" clarity depth it won't matter,clear water absolutely down to 20',one of the local lakes I fish is gin clear,sunny days red and bubble gum color hands down makes the difference on walleyes in shallower water,the clarity of this lake like others in the area is about 18',red hooks/pink bubble gum are always the best it seems down to 20',one hot summer day I grabbed my snorkel and fins and dove down to check out different color hooks@ 20+feet,no sunlight beyond 18' and no matter the hook color they were all black.

Wow! Now that is taking experimenting to another level!!;:;bowdown:;:cheers

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it hard to believe a red hook matters. How much of the hook can a fish actually see? Small, thin, not to mention probably a minnow, plastic or worm hooked on. I doubt they see much. Plus...I was always under impression red disappears after a certain depth. So if it did make difference...that would be why in my opinion

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member

Cool! I see a precision hook color guide to go with precision trolling...

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told (and learned) a long time ago that every single rule or thought regarding fish can be summed up in one phrase.

"IT DOESN'T MATTER TIL IT MATTERS".

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a fear of being 20 ft deep in a lake, gives me the hebbiejeebies just thinking about it.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a fear of being 20 ft deep in a lake, gives me the hebbiejeebies just thinking about it.

same here. No worries here tho, i can barely kick down 10 feet in the deep end of the pool before buoyancy wins

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

but... you have human eyes, not fish eyes - do you know what they see?:;:muahaha

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually try to match the hatch or shock. Sometimes on an extremely dark sky day with light hissing rain (absolute favorite fishing weather) I'll go against the grain and throw the most gaudy-assed bait I have trying to "stir things up". I've had success with this ploy but more confidence in dark weather/water--dark lure; vise versa. I believe Rapala would have some success by offering color phases in their natural forage patterns.

Braided line and a Sharpie are indeed a fisherman's friend. Per the topic and the brave skin diver's observation I like the red trebles and a lot of my ShadRaps have red lips. The Sharpie does a great job and seems to dye the plastic: It's probably a confidence deal but confidence catches fish. It's an ancient proverb and it's true.

IMHO, there's two routes to go with line; invisibility or non-threatening. I currently choose the latter. "My" current MO of preserving the spool with a bbl swivel would lend itself to fluorocarbon. I haven't dabbled with fluoro as I don't trust ANY knot with current monolithic materiel and am enamored with the Palomar/Double Palomar due to tensile strength. The "double" is probably unnecessary but used for the swivel in both rings. Quality snaps are neat and allow quick presentation changes/knot changes to bait--all the way back to the swivel. It's better for the ego to have metal fail rather than knots or line. I hear flouro has superior abrasion resistance which is definitely an issue with braid and pike.

These Buds make me feel like Mr. Jack and his .270. Instead of Mr. .270, I could be Lt Swivel.

"MY" rig is easily modified to suit many needs as the swivel should NEVER touch the rod tip. Swivel back is the spool depth preservation like with a fly reel.

It's a short rig unlike this post.

On another thread I pooh pooed the effect of sunlight and I was wrong. I didn't consider bleaching. That's where the Sharpies come to play. Camouflage artfully.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you ever watched people fly fishing trout. I have seen guys grab an insect off the water, then wade to shore and tie up a fly as best they can to match it. One day ice fishing Spiritwood Lake I was pulling perch from deep water. Insects mostly have clear blood but a species of Chironomidae commonly called bloodworm that lives in deeper water has red blood. Every perch I pulled up fast regurgitated bloodworms. I tied some red hooks and I think for perch and walley some days I have better luck and some days I don't, but on average I do think I do better with the red hooks, especially on perch.

thecatwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to fish with a guy who would swap out all his crankbait treble hooks with red ones. Claimed the fish couldnt see red and he caught more fish with red hooks. This theiry was for crankbaits only.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I have to replace a treble hook in a crank, I use a red one.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of which some fishermen remove the front hooks from raps. Keeps the snags away. Or so they say.

Up on Audubon red hooks seem to be the ticket. With live bait rigs anyway.

If I have to replace a treble hook in a crank, I use a red one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33