March 29

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My father in law was in WW2 and he was captured in the Battle of the Bulge. My bride said he would never talk about the war to anyone, but shortly before he died, one night he opened up to me and told me all about what he went through during his service. My bride was in the other room and the next morning she was shocked that he opened up to me about it.
Fireworks scared the heck out of him especially if it caught him off guard. He said some battles they got shelled for 3 straight days and they had to just stay in their foxholes. I can see after living through that, how fireworks might be the last thing you wanted to hear.
His talk lasted all night and it is terrible what they had to go through and a lot of them never had winter clothes and had to use their old ragged socks for gloves. It went on and on.
Another good friend of mine was in Nam and was in many battles and he had lots of medals. He would open up to me at different times about some of the battles. I remember he said his favorite firearm was the pump shotgun. He said many times they were dug in to foxholes and the gooks would slowly crawl in and he said they were quiet. He said he never heard them but would see them crawling. He said they didn't hardly bleed, even when shot with the shotgun. He figured maybe they were doped up.
When he came home he slept with a shotgun and many times he would jump up with the shotgun at any little sound in the house. His bride was scared to death that he might shoot her by accident. He got over it, after a couple years.
If we only knew a small percentage of what those poor souls went through!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
he had it bad bbj.

Thanks for all the kind words about us vets.
Does not sound good for the walk tomorrow but trust me, i will have an old mill on all of you and you all can have a beer on me. db

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Godspeed and God Bless DB. Thank you and all 'Nam Vets for ensuring future vets received a proper homecoming. I'm afraid it's about to go back to the hairballs in the airports. NOT your fault.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^It's definitely not "Quigley" anymore:

1711682784890.png

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
15 family members which is the bulk on my family even from Chicago along with one lone, older Indian lady who felt it was important for her to be there for a member of her family.

Thanks to all. I had an old mill on you so hope you had one on me. Till next year. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88