Braided ice line

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 832 Advanced Ice Braid comes off my ice reels looking like a spring that has been stretched out. The braided line has been removed from one reel and respooled onto another ice reel but it doesn't make a difference. I have also dropped a heavy jig in 65 feet of water reeled up line. When I put a lighter jig it still curls up when I drop my jig down the hole can someone tell me if they have had problems with braid curling.
I have looked online but can't come up with a example based on Google search braided ice line curling off spool
Not happy with this line especially since I don't care to use it becuase of the curling

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used the regular power pro ice fishing for a few years and like it. Certainly no curling. It does absorb water so works better when its above freezing temps outside or inside a shack. Maybe the ice version doesn't absorb water?

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't stand power pro ice line. It is coated with PTFE but that does not help whatsoever. It will absorb water like crazy and freeze up. I have tried a couple kinds and so far the best has been fireline. However, that has its flaws too. I will be interested to see what everyone says here.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 6lb nano on a lot of my rods. My heavier rods that I take to Winnipeg have 10 lb nanofil spooled up.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i use power pro ice... i have some spooled with the slick 8 pp but this year I plan to run all ice line because the summer stuff does ice up way more

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Superlines work much better for ice fishing when the line is new and smooth. Once it frays a tad its gets iced up. Just sayin.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about putting some kind of product like rainx, Teflon spray, or wd 40 to help with repelling water

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have heard chapstick works well for coating braid. I've used the crystal braid for years and it does freeze up easier, but mono will also freeze so its not a huge difference to me. I've never had an issue with the crystal curling.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 6lb nano on a lot of my rods. My heavier rods that I take to Winnipeg have 10 lb nanofil spooled up.

Bad idea. I had magnum bluegills snap that junk. If you MUST use nanocrap then tie a double palomar knot. Nanocrap is really made for maximum casting distance and to choose that over say crystal fireline for vertical jigging makes little to no sense IMO. I just have snapped off to many big fish with nanocrap.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always used fireline crystal. Freezes a bit but not a big deal to me.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad idea. I had magnum bluegills snap that junk. If you MUST use nanocrap then tie a double palomar knot. Nanocrap is really made for maximum casting distance and to choose that over say crystal fireline for vertical jigging makes little to no sense IMO. I just have snapped off to many big fish with nanocrap.

I should fix that. I meant 10 lb fireline crystal on my winnipeg/heavy rods. I haven't had an issue with nano otherwise.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
6lb Nano on a perch sweetheart landed me a 42 inch pike and a 50 inch sturgeon. I do run a 12lb flouro leader, though.

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have run 8lb nano in Winnipeg for 3-4 years no fish lost to broken line. That said i usually retie every night and use a floro leader. I think it sheds water well to limit ice up. And yes you need to use a double palomar knot with it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

set yer drag properly... Gomer

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok here's another question for the peeps who don't have me on ignore.
1. When put new line on your reel how much tension on your drag is good enough to make sure the line goes on the reel with not being too loose or wound too tight?
2.Also I noticed that in the summer time or winter time my braided line out for a few days getting it all wet to find out that now after it has had a chance to dry out I don't have as much line on as before.
Discuss

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 178
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88