Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

nwndgeese

My 87 yr father(ND born, life res. accept 2 yrs Army) waited 6 years for a tag(Whtail not Mule) just to get rejected this year. BS them damn kids get their tags and cream of da crop... My oldman done more than 99% those youngster's will ever do for our state/community !!! OVER 80, GUARANTEED UM A TAG !!! I am not going deer hunting with my father ever again..... SAD....I remember him taking me out of school at 10am every opening Friday since first grade!!! and i never get to experience hunting with'um ever again... Was as healthy as a a 50yo man till he got lung cancer last Aug 17. We stayed in the truck(w/permit), but the basta.. was in the truck opening day 2017 803844E4-.jpg He/we passed on this buck 5-6 times last year, before settling for him the last Sat. of the 17 season. We watched a MUCH bigger buck but he broke off 75" of antler on his left side and we know he made it into May 2018. No chance of us chasing ol Lefty this year with NO TAG.. OVER 80 GUARANTE UM A TAG.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that harvest rates could be tracked a bit better than the current well after the season voluntary mail survey. Are you talking mandatory reporting? I’d predict lots of complaints. The G&F uses other things other than harvest rates to indirectly estimate population trends, insurance claims, Rancher deprivation complaints, on the ground observation from game wardens, landowners, etc. And some aviation based mullet counting.
i always hear we need better ways to count the deer numbers, but like it or not anything developed so far is expensive and has its own built in inaccuracies. In the future some smart person may develop automatic cheap drone methods.
yes, I was rambling around my hunting areas yesterday and lost count of the number of deer seen, mostly does and spotted fawns, but several buckstotards evening too. Yet there has been no increase in tag numbers. But deer numbers are spotty - lots where there is habitat, fewer where it is limited. Counting will always be an approximation that a lot of bar school biologists might rightly or wrongly disagree with.

What the hell is a buckstotard? You need to give up the Ipad, or at least get a friggin keyboard for it.

dank

What the hell is a buckstotard? You need to give up the Ipad, or at least get a friggin keyboard for it.

Um, you mean to tell me you post on a hunting forum and you don't know what a buckstotards are? Sheesh, millenials!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lottery isn't the issue. Yeah it's flawed, but the real problem is lower populations. There is no where for deer to live in many areas of the state. Hardly any CRP, lots of tree rows ripped out, and then digging/burning every slough possible.
This is exactly right.

Stop bitching about the lottery and start bitching about a lack of habitat.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This would be one of the biggest changes I would push for. I think I mentioned it on here before, but I would go 75 years or older get a tag every year.

My 87 yr father(ND born, life res. accept 2 yrs Army) waited 6 years for a tag(Whtail not Mule) just to get rejected this year. BS them damn kids get their tags and cream of da crop... My oldman done more than 99% those youngster's will ever do for our state/community !!! OVER 80, GUARANTEED UM A TAG !!! I am not going deer hunting with my father ever again..... SAD....I remember him taking me out of school at 10am every opening Friday since first grade!!! and i never get to experience hunting with'um ever again... Was as healthy as a a 50yo man till he got lung cancer last Aug 17. We stayed in the truck(w/permit), but the basta.. was in the truck opening day 2017tumblr_moxmun7wjI1s5hccbo1_500.jpg He/we passed on this buck 5-6 times last year, before settling for him the last Sat. of the 17 season. We watched a MUCH bigger buck but he broke off 75" of antler on his left side and we know he made it into May 2018. No chance of us chasing ol Lefty this year with NO TAG.. OVER 80 GUARANTE UM A TAG.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This would be one of the biggest changes I would push for. I think I mentioned it on here before, but I would go 75 years or older get a tag every year.
You guys really haven't thought this out have you....literally every person over the age of 75 male and female would end up with a tag because their kids/grand kids would put in for them and then drag them along with. Sorry but all the old timers had many great years of getting tags every single year. Now that there are way fewer tags and way more hunters they should still get a tag every year?? How do you get young hunters involved and continue being interested if all the tags are going to gramps?

I've said this a million times, but anybody who wants to hunt can. That's not what all the people bitching want though, they want a Buck tag in a prime unit every year.

Last edited:

You

Founding Member
Founding Member

Absolutely. I would love the chance to fill all 4 of my grandparents tags EVERY year instead of every few Thumbs Up

EnglishCocker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing that irritates me the most about a lot of people that want changes to the system is that they think that if we go to one tag everyone will get a rifle buck tag. This simply isn't the case. I would be willing to bet that most of the proposed changes would maybe cut 1 year off of peoples wait times if even that.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
We watched a MUCH bigger buck but he broke off 75" of antler on his left side and we know he made it into May 2018. No chance of us chasing ol Lefty this year with NO TAG.

Spoken like a rifle only hunter. There I said it.

Congrats to your dad for getting a nice buck.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys really haven't thought this out have you....literally every person over the age of 75 male and female would end up with a tag because their kids/grand kids would put in for them and then drag them along with. Sorry but all the old timers had many great years of getting tags every single year. Now that there are way fewer tags and way more hunters they should still get a tag every year?? How do you get young hunters involved and continue being interested if all the tags are going to gramps?

go easy on him, he's from MN, they're all slow learners. Reminds me of BLhunter if that rings a bell to anyone

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spoken like a rifle only hunter. There I said it.

Spoken like a guy that has 3 North Dakota big game hunting tags to fill his year and happy as a lark that many have none. There I said it .

- - - Updated - - -

KDM you should come and blow another head gasket .

Last edited:

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member

Spoken like a guy that has 3 North Dakota big game hunting tags to fill his year and happy as a lark that many have none. There I said it .

- - - Updated - - -

KDM you should come and blow another head gasket .

let’s see - my last rifle tag was 2013 - 4 years since for an east central unit!

My last pronghorn tag was 2007 so 10 years.

Just had good luck with the lottery. When I’ve been denied and others have gotten multiple - I’ve been happy for them.

And you you know what, it will probably be 5 years before I get drawn for another tag. So yeah I am happy this year.

Last edited:

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ohh , Sorry thought you were putting rifle only hunters down.

Believe me, I didn't just fall off the pumpkin truck .

no but they could most certainly go after the buck they spoke of if they really wanted to. Instead the poster comes off a bit whiney by saying what he did and how said it.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
How come one guys bow tag is more important than another guys rifle or muzzle loader tag? I'm on 9 years with out drawing a muzzle tag. I don't buy that it's so much harder to fill a bow tag. Is it harder? Yes but it's not that hard and with cameras and all the other advances it's pretty easy to pattern a deer. In the past 10 years I have tagged out 7 times and one of those years that I didn't was because of a broken leg. I'm on a run of 4 straight years of tagging out. I'm know better or worse of a hunter than anybody else on here. I just do a little home work and then go hunting. If I don't shoot one in Sept. I wait until the rut and if I don't get one then, I hunt the food sources when it gets cold.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
no but they could most certainly go after the buck they spoke of if they really wanted to. Instead the poster comes off a bit whiney by saying what he did and how said it.

You come off a bit whiney when you try to tell a person how they should hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

we all want to hunt , Don't feel special just because you have more than one method to harvest big game.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
You come off a bit whiney when you try to tell a person how they should hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

we all want to hunt , Don't feel special just because you have more than one method to harvest big game.

i don’t feel special. Just lucky is all.

never told anyone how they should hunt. Simply Said they could go after that buck if they wanted to.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
i don’t feel special. Just lucky is all.

never told anyone how they should hunt. Simply Said they could go after that buck if they wanted to.

The way you told me before and I can and will go back and find it if you really want me to . You told me if my son can't draw a rifle tag he should become a bowhunter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84