Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 87 yr father(ND born, life res. accept 2 yrs Army) waited 6 years for a tag(Whtail not Mule) just to get rejected this year. BS them damn kids get their tags and cream of da crop... My oldman done more than 99% those youngster's will ever do for our state/community !!! OVER 80, GUARANTEED UM A TAG !!! I am not going deer hunting with my father ever again..... SAD....I remember him taking me out of school at 10am every opening Friday since first grade!!! and i never get to experience hunting with'um ever again... Was as healthy as a a 50yo man till he got lung cancer last Aug 17. We stayed in the truck(w/permit), but the basta.. was in the truck opening day 2017 tumblr_moxmun7wjI1s5hccbo1_500.jpg He/we passed on this buck 5-6 times last year, before settling for him the last Sat. of the 17 season. We watched a MUCH bigger buck but he broke off 75" of antler on his left side and we know he made it into May 2018. No chance of us chasing ol Lefty this year with NO TAG.. OVER 80 GUARANTE UM A TAG.

Um no . Sorry but why don't you put him in for a guarantee draw ? Many many units are close too or at 100% draw for a whitetail buck . This is your own fault not GF

- - - Updated - - -

I am patting myself on the back. I accept the situation. Lets just start giving everyone trophies, ribbons, and deer tags. Life isn’t always fair, the sooner you figure that out, the greater your chances are to not become a liberal.

Relax Davey, Rec weed will be here before you know it.

best post I've ever seen , Kentucky is spot on

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Times have changed and there are more hunters and less deer, I understand that. I still say some of you are putting multiple tags and 3 months or more of recreation hunting in front of us one weekend hunters . Our family has been hunting (for meat) on the same piece of ground since 1906 , Would like to see my kids and grandkids to be able to carry on the tradition of the family farm harvest when I am dead and gone. Being called a whiner for sticking up for what I believe in shows me what type of mentality I am up against but it sure as heck won't scare me away or intimidate me in any way.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Times have changed and there are more hunters and less deer, I understand that. I still say some of you are putting multiple tags and 3 months or more of recreation hunting in front of us one weekend hunters . Our family has been hunting (for meat) on the same piece of ground since 1906 , Would like to see my kids and grandkids to be able to carry on the tradition of the family farm harvest when I am dead and gone. Being called a whiner for sticking up for what I believe in shows me what type of mentality I am up against but it sure as heck won't scare me away or intimidate me in any way.

Apply for doe tags then . Not sure your unit but guessing they are easier to draw ? Since you are meat hunters

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Um no . Sorry but why don't you put him in for a guarantee draw ? Many many units are close too or at 100% draw for a whitetail buck . This is your own fault not GF

- - - Updated - - -

best post I've ever seen , Kentucky is spot on

yep, life isn’t always fair, but his dad is/was over 80 and has been a solid taxpaying citizen for many years. Maybe I’ll put on my Liberal hat on this one, but to me it seems much more fair and balanced to give any old 80 plus year old dying man a gratis like tag than some of the younger people who buy 159 acres, get pheasants forever or other wildlife clubs or the USFW (us taxpayers) to pay for all their “ improvements” and food plots year after year then get a free rid gratis tag! Off topic but this is why I mostly stopped supporting these organizations.
When the legislature was debating giving tags to dying Make a Wish kids I testified that I was all for it but wished they would go further and allow a guy like me, who has certainly shot his share of stuff, to voluntarily donate my tag to a dying old man like this, or a dying kid. My suggestion to add this provision to the bill went nowhere, of course. Too many “liberals will take all MY tags” guys against this. Yep, might makes right...or sometimes wrong, IMHO

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apply for doe tags then . Not sure your unit but guessing they are easier to draw ? Since you are meat hunters

Meat hunters we are but horns make the hunt more exciting and always something to look forward to. Something about shooting a buck is different that shooting a doe, If you have 8 and counting I'm sure you can relate. I can only recall one exciting doe harvest and that was my wifes first deer.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meat hunters we are but horns make the hunt more exciting and always something to look forward to. Something about shooting a buck is different that shooting a doe, If you have 8 and counting I'm sure you can relate. I can only recall one exciting doe harvest and that was my wifes first deer.

I hear you . Well anyways good luck with whatever you'll be after this fall

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are trying to put more hunters in the field which is what some of us are promoting

First it was not me with the bad rep

Now that Sd has been brought up in this thread i can comment. They are not doing this to get more people in the field it is to appease the east and west side of the state and what they have proposed is not going to help those people who will not travel to hunt. It will make it harder for them as they will force all the other people to pick that county as their first choice be it black hills or the eastern countys. Now they whine because people like me apply in counties that have better draw odds and i get a few tags per year. Now i dont shoot a buck with the tags i do have and if i want meat there are endless doe tags that those people can get but they dont so they cant say i just want the meat. I want to hunt mule deer every year so with that i got a bow and will start bow hunting but with this new system it will make it easier for me to draw a rifle tag as i will travel to hunt but living where i do wont have to. I will get to put west river as a first choice and in the county i hunt will draw a any deer tag as it will cut all the east river and black hills hunters out and living in the low density area i do the people around here wont even use up all the tags. Now i will have to put in east river in the second draw but now all those people who thought the new system were going to get them there tags where they want will have to decide to travel or not my guess they wont start so i will get a tag in the second drawing. Having the points i do will make the muzzle loader tag a for sure deal when i put that in first and bet i still get the any deer tag with my second draw. In the end i think the new proposal is not a well thought out thing for the whiners that are not smart enough to look at draw stats now just wait till the numbers come in next year. Hunter numbers are dropping it is a reason that we are trying to get more young people hunting and thats why youth seasons are tags you get. I have never had less than 2 any deer/whitetail deer tags for the last 15 years so getting a tag down here is not hard not even close to as hard as ND. This is just about the vocal minority here they dont really want to deer hunt they want to drive out their back door shoot one off the road and go home. Any resident who wants a deer tag in sd will have one if they have half a brain and are not lazy and smart enough to read the excellent draw stats the SDgfp put out.

- - - Updated - - -

i want to elk hunt every year i go to Idaho its all about choices if people want some thing you can do it just might not be easy or convenient.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

“We want more people to be able to deer hunt more often rather than sitting at home for three or four years and not hunting for that long,” Game, Fish and Parks Regional Terrestrial Resource supervisor Josh Delger said.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

You're contradicting yourself. By your definition of a meat hunter, everybody is a meat hunter, I doubt anybody gets home cuts the horns off and throws away the meat. Obviously you're not starving, or you would put in for a doe first choice and be guaranteed a tag. I put in for a 8+ year tag first choice and a doe tag in a different unit for second. I get a doe tag every year, and I enjoy hunting with the wife and kids. And you know what? They don't give two shits if we're after a buck or a doe, they just love to be out.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're contradicting yourself. By your definition of a meat hunter, everybody is a meat hunter, I doubt anybody gets home cuts the horns off and throws away the meat. Obviously you're not starving, or you would put in for a doe first choice and be guaranteed a tag. I put in for a 8+ year tag first choice and a doe tag in a different unit for second. I get a doe tag every year, and I enjoy hunting with the wife and kids. And you know what? They don't give two shits if we're after a buck or a doe, they just love to be out.

Ok I will agree with that, You got me good. I guess we are horn hunters.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So then you understand that you could still hunt the same piece of ground (for meat) as your forefathers every year. Your kids and grandkids are still able to carry on the tradition of the family farm harvest. You just have to decide if applying for a buck tag is worth giving up a year or two of that tradition.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
So then you understand that you could still hunt the same piece of ground (for meat) as your forefathers every year. Your kids and grandkids are still able to carry on the tradition of the family farm harvest. You just have to decide if applying for a buck tag is worth giving up a year or two of that tradition.

Right/wrong both. Odds are in our favor that if somebody doesn't get two tags buck tags in our unit we have a better chance at getting one of them. That much I have decided.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
First it was not me with the bad rep

Now that Sd has been brought up in this thread i can comment. They are not doing this to get more people in the field it is to appease the east and west side of the state and what they have proposed is not going to help those people who will not travel to hunt. It will make it harder for them as they will force all the other people to pick that county as their first choice be it black hills or the eastern countys. Now they whine because people like me apply in counties that have better draw odds and i get a few tags per year. Now i dont shoot a buck with the tags i do have and if i want meat there are endless doe tags that those people can get but they dont so they cant say i just want the meat. I want to hunt mule deer every year so with that i got a bow and will start bow hunting but with this new system it will make it easier for me to draw a rifle tag as i will travel to hunt but living where i do wont have to. I will get to put west river as a first choice and in the county i hunt will draw a any deer tag as it will cut all the east river and black hills hunters out and living in the low density area i do the people around here wont even use up all the tags. Now i will have to put in east river in the second draw but now all those people who thought the new system were going to get them there tags where they want will have to decide to travel or not my guess they wont start so i will get a tag in the second drawing. Having the points i do will make the muzzle loader tag a for sure deal when i put that in first and bet i still get the any deer tag with my second draw. In the end i think the new proposal is not a well thought out thing for the whiners that are not smart enough to look at draw stats now just wait till the numbers come in next year. Hunter numbers are dropping it is a reason that we are trying to get more young people hunting and thats why youth seasons are tags you get. I have never had less than 2 any deer/whitetail deer tags for the last 15 years so getting a tag down here is not hard not even close to as hard as ND. This is just about the vocal minority here they dont really want to deer hunt they want to drive out their back door shoot one off the road and go home. Any resident who wants a deer tag in sd will have one if they have half a brain and are not lazy and smart enough to read the excellent draw stats the SDgfp put out.

- - - Updated - - -

i want to elk hunt every year i go to Idaho its all about choices if people want some thing you can do it just might not be easy or convenient.
Why is it that if someone wants their odds increased to draw a tag and hunt where the live or maybe their families land does that make them whiners? By your post you seem to think the odds are in your favor with new system why are you against it?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The idea of “one tag-use it anyway you please” will only reduce overall hunter participation. It’s been shown so many times it doesn’t even reason to explain it again.

The G&F wants more people to be able to hunt. Well, no duh. We all do. I guess if we had more deer we could do just that.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right/wrong both. Odds are in our favor that if somebody doesn't get two tags buck tags in our unit we have a better chance at getting one of them. That much I have decided.

Ok, so then you nullify all of your posts about not being able keep family traditions. This is about you getting or not getting a buck tag. How many more buck tags do you think your unit would be allotted if they went to a one tag system? Do you think fewer people would apply in your unit if they went to a one tag system?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The idea of “one tag-use it anyway you please” will only reduce overall hunter participation. It’s been shown so many times it doesn’t even reason to explain it again.

School me , I might be guilty of wearing blinders.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is it that if someone wants their odds increased to draw a tag and hunt where the live or maybe their families land does that make them whiners? By your post you seem to think the odds are in your favor with new system why are you against

it?

if you own land in sd you and your kids can get land owner tags so they always get to hunt thief land if they want to. It is because it is under the guise of getting more people hunting. Their are not more tags being dolled out so how do they get more people to hunt when forcing them to all go for the hard to draw county right off the bat. So when they don’t draw are those people who did not Hunt anywhere else to start with going to decide to start going west river on the second draw I don’t think so I bet they just don’t hunt.

Lets pick pick a county like coddingtin where I grew up ( don’t know why you would want to hunt there) but with the way it is now you have options. With the new system everyone who wants that tag is going to put that first choice the guys who used to go west river to party or more as a social event are not going to keep doing that as they won’t have any chance if they don’t put the east river tag as their first choice so that is going to lower everyone’s odds who want that hard to draw tag in the east or the hills. The same people who sit at home now will still be sitting at home. Your right this will help me get the tag I want my biggest problem is the gfp lieing to everybody including them selves why this change is needed. Same amount of tags equal same amount of tags sold and same amount of hunters

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so then you nullify all of your posts about not being able keep family traditions. This is about you getting or not getting a buck tag. How many more buck tags do you think your unit would be allotted if they went to a one tag system? Do you think fewer people would apply in your unit if they went to a one tag system?

This is my only defense, You show me the math.

Odds are in our favor that if somebody doesn't get two tags buck tags in our unit we have a better chance at getting one of them. That much I have decided.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are hundreds of doe tags left over every year here so if people want to hunt the opportunity is there

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my only defense, You show me the math.

Odds are in our favor that if somebody doesn't get two tags buck tags in our unit we have a better chance at getting one of them. That much I have decided.

But I'm not the one wanting too change the system, you are. You're the one that has to back up your claims, the game and fish has already backed up mine. So other than "you've decided" or "odds", what logic are you using to back up your claims. And remember, according to the poll, you're in the minority.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88