Deer Licenses

Deer license changes?

• The system is fine, No change is needed

Votes: 142 74.7%
  • 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season (bow, rifle-unit specific or muzzleloader - statewide)

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • Statewide archery OR "rifle tag" be used in bow or rifle (unit/sex specific) OR sep. muzzleloader

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Limited bow only tag for statewide and 1 lottery tag that can be used in any season

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Previously suggested1 license/tag system

Votes: 6 3.2%

• Total voters

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so then you nullify all of your posts about not being able keep family traditions. This is about you getting or not getting a buck tag. How many more buck tags do you think your unit would be allotted if they went to a one tag system? Do you think fewer people would apply in your unit if they went to a one tag system?

You are so wrong. I get a gratis every year and my bride used to but quit hunting so we only get one. I'm looking ahead, It's my kids and grandkids that I am looking out for.

- - - Updated - - -

But I'm not the one wanting too change the system, you are. You're the one that has to back up your claims, the game and fish has already backed up mine. So other than "you've decided" or "odds", what logic are you using to back up your claims. And remember, according to the poll, you're in the minority.

Odds are in our favor that if somebody doesn't get two tags buck tags in our unit we have a better chance at getting one of them. That much I have decided

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are so wrong. I get a gratis every year and my bride used to but quit hunting so we only get one. I'm looking ahead, It's my kids and grandkids that I am looking out for.

- - - Updated - - -

Odds are in our favor that if somebody doesn't get two tags buck tags in our unit we have a better chance at getting one of them. That much I have decided

Well thanks for clearing that up, I feel bad for you if your kids and grandkids are only interested in hunting if it's for a buck. BTW, your gratis tag is taking one tag directly out of the pool of tags for your unit that they might have been able to get.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well thanks for clearing that up, I feel bad for you if your kids and grandkids are only interested in hunting if it's for a buck. BTW, your gratis tag is taking one tag directly out of the pool of tags for your unit that they might have been able to get.

It's not our only however it is a desire, Like most.

- - - Updated - - -

Like most everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want them too ? Both of them ?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely not, but I'm not the one complaining about my family not being able to hunt either.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think gratis tags should be eliminated. Everyone should be in the same boat and have the same opportunity to draw a tag. There that oughta get Davey and a few others riled up. :;:stirthepot

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you want them too ? Both of them ?
Davey the gratis guys are the only people who are guaranteed a rifle buck every year. Are you willing to go to an every other year Gratis tag to give your kids/ grandkids a better chance of drawing? I'm not necessarily arguing for it, but the one biggest change they could make to add tags to the general drawing, is make Gratis an every other year tag.

The reality is there are no magical tags that are going to appear, to get more tags you have to take them from somebody else...its that simple. Of course you could hunt doe every year, but that's not what the complainers want..

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey the gratis guys are the only people who are guaranteed a rifle buck every year. Are you willing to go to an every other year Gratis tag to give your kids/ grandkids a better chance of drawing? I'm not necessarily arguing for it, but the one biggest change they could make to add tags to the general drawing, is make Gratis an every other year tag.

The reality is there are no magical tags that are going to appear, to get more tags you have to take them from somebody else...its that simple. Of course you could hunt doe every year, but that's not what the complainers want..

Right, One tag system takes tags away from the guy that normally gets two or three and those tags go to someone that normally wouldn't get a tag.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, One tag system takes tags away from the guy that normally gets two or three and those tags go to someone that normally wouldn't get a tag.
So who are all these people that are magically getting 2 or 3 buck tags regularly?? It can only be several things, 1.)gratis guy who gets his rifle buck and then also an archery, 2) guy who puts in for easy units so regularly gets his rifle buck and bow tag. 3.) guy who waits years and then happens to get lucky and draw a prime rifle and muzzy tag.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know how many tags would be added to your unit if they went to a 1 tag system? My guess is maybe 1 or 2 at most. You realize bow and muzzy tags are statewide and not unit specific right? So the unit tags are still going to come down to the deer pop in those units.

The amount of people who get 2 or more tags a year is negligible and the amount that actually fill all of those tags is even smaller. The GNF issue tags based on this stupid 70% success ratio they came up with back when people killed the first deer they saw. They need to start realizing people now days are not so hung up on killing any deer they see just to fill a tag. Issuing tags by some arbitrary success percentage number is foolish.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what NDGF Director Terry Steinwand had to say about one tag system last December . The trend is continuing so I suspect this is the reason this topic got created.

The idea of a one license per hunter is still on the list of what we could do but, as you stated, it’s on the back burner. That doesn’t mean it will stay there indefinitely though. North Dakota has a history of deer hunting, which includes gun and bow. In the past 10 years, bow hunting has definitely increased in popularity—probably in part to those people that were unsuccessful in getting a gun license. If the trend continues in that direction and the deer herd declines I would say we’d have to revisit the one license concept as one option to more equitably distribute the licenses.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I have some kind of blind faith in hunters, but then again its no different than some idiots putting in for tags for their wife and ex wife and 3 step daughters plus getting 6 gratis tags for land they rent. I get more enjoyment out of hunting with my dad and when he shoots a deer than when I do.

I'd love to see how many 75 yr old plus people that still hunt, let alone fill that tag. So I would say it is negligible. I don't know how the youth system works, but pretty sure they get 4-6 years to shoot a deer every year. I guess if they don't have an interest in hunting after 6 years of deer every year, they don't have an interest.

You guys really haven't thought this out have you....literally every person over the age of 75 male and female would end up with a tag because their kids/grand kids would put in for them and then drag them along with. Sorry but all the old timers had many great years of getting tags every single year. Now that there are way fewer tags and way more hunters they should still get a tag every year?? How do you get young hunters involved and continue being interested if all the tags are going to gramps?

I've said this a million times, but anybody who wants to hunt can. That's not what all the people bitching want though, they want a Buck tag in a prime unit every year.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what NDGF Director Terry Steinwand had to say about one tag system last December . The trend is continuing so I suspect this is the reason this topic got created.
And you've seen the poll results correct?? I certainly hope the reason this topic was started is because of thoughts about the one tag system...hopefully it was Steinwand himself who wanted to see this poll, I'm sure he will be aware of it :)

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the G&F send out their little survey about a hunters previous hunting season I wonder how many people make sure to fill them out and actually send them back in:confused:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this poll shows is how many people want two or more tags.
Haha, take it however you want i guess, but the reality is most people realize that the current system isn't perfect, but is the best option at this point.

Its shown time and time again that the only people complaining are the ones who refuse to change at all themselves. They want a prime unit buck tag every year and think some change is going to magically give them that. The complainers refuse to accept that its their own actions and stubbornness that are leaving them on the sidelines.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member

Who normally gets 2 or 3 ND Tags? Maybe people that have a bow tag and apply for a high percentage draw unit or are you talking about people with a bow tag and a gratis?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, Not even close, The ones refusing change want two tags every year.
Those of us that occasionally get two tags have already been smart enough to make the necessary changes to give us a better chance at drawing. Guys like you and obi cant seem to grasp that concept. I put in for a hard unit rifle first, then easy unit rifle second, then doe tag after that, and then also buy a bow tag. I have never actually shot 2 deer in the same year, but i'm always in the field in some fashion because i'm flexible and not to damn stubborn to change. Anyways have a good day!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88