Tires

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Dynopros on my hunting/work pickup. They are great. I just put Goodyear wranglers on my daily pickup. Light all terrain. They are only 4 ply however they have the kevlar side-walls. I really like them so far. Quiet, nice riding but will have enough traction come snow.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently using Cooper AT3s (on 3/4 ton). Wear quickly, multiple flats and poor in snow. Will try another brand next time.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put the Falken Wildpeak's on about a year ago and have been happy. I haven't noticed a different ride at all from the street slicks that came on my pickup. They seem to be wearing fine so far after about 9000 miles as well. I think I paid $700 installed so for the price I figured it was worth a shot.

Also, search is your friend. There have been a few long discussions on tires.

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?11281-Pickup-tires&highlight=tires

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was happy with Nitto Trail Grapplers both traction and longevity. They weren't good on ice or hard-packed snow, but, most mud tires aren't.

I am still very happy with Nitto Exo Grappler. I've lost about 2.5MM of tread in ~7k mi and the wear is very even front to back. They do ride stiff and are nosier than BFG ATKO/2 on the highway. They are the best I've used on packed snow/ice.

After the good experiences with the other 2 Nitto tires I bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers to run late spring through mid-fall. They suck. In 7K Mi I've lost 4.5 MM off the rear tires and 3MM off the fronts. They're squishy when you tow with them as well. On the good side, they're smooth and quiet, didn't rob me of mileage.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my 3rd set of tires from https://www.treadwright.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJyHxpv33QIV1LfACh0DKwvdEAAYASAAEgK_8PD_BwE
I like the fact they are about 1/2 price of new. Got 40K out of my last set of 10 ply with at least 50% gravel miles and now replaced them with another set of 6 ply on same 1500 pickup and installed a set of 10 ply on my 2500. $560 bucks for a set of four shipped to my door, I wait until they offer sales and then buy.
I run the wardens which is basically the old BFG AT tread pattern.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I had good luck on my Hankook Dynopros on my Silverado. Lasted me around 50,000mi if I remember right. Just got a 2019 Ram, and put Falken Wildpeaks on it as I've heard good things about them and I got a good deal on them. Only about 400mi on them so far though.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run BFG KO2s 10ply. had the cooper at3s. Love the BFGs. Hated the coopers and i had 3 sets of them on 2 differant trucks, all 10 ply tires. 1 set of coopers was replaced under warranty as they couldnt get the vibration out of them. Poor snow traction on a f150 and E250. Wore faster then the BFGs. All around traction the BFGs win hands down.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't get any mileage out of BFG KO2 on Duramax. (Rotate,rotate,rotate) Switched to Firestone Destination AT, about 10K miles so far. Really like the ride

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
wslayer... by chance do you have them with a bit extra air in them because you tow regularly? i ask because the one set of them i had that wore poorly were left over inflated. had a trailer full of wood squatting the hell out of my poor truck for a trip back from menards. filled em to like 60 or 70 psi. forgot to let the air out. 15k later they were shot.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run 10-ply Hankook ATMs on my 3/4 ton. Like them so much that I wouldn't think twice about putting a 4-6 ply version on a half-ton. Cupping can be a problem with Ford's suspension if they aren't rotated regularly, I do mine every 5-7k. They aren't the cheapest option out there though.

10 ply ;)

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
tire 2.jpgtruck damage.jpg

TREADWRIGHT after 1200 miles only. Full separation of tread and $2800 damage to truck.

Tried to get warranty and they denied it 3 times till I went up the ladder and they
sent me a single tire and sold all 4 and put REAL BFG's KO2.

yellowlab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had both the Hankook Dynapro ATM and BFG and both were terrific. For the cost I will continue to get the ATM's every time.

I have had three different sets of Cooper AT3's and they are the single most useless, worthless tire made!!!!!!!! Average 25,000 miles per set and the worst traction of any tire I have ever had. Wet grass on almost level ground required 4 wheel drive. Forget driving in the winter in town unless you are in 4 wheel drive. You will be stuck at every stop sign or light.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW I have almost 60,000 on a set of Firestone Destinations on a 1/2 ton Chevy.

Still have decent tread, but will be replacing them with another set soon.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Falken wildpeaks on my tahoe. Have 14k miles on them, haven't had to add air, tread wear has been excellent. Didn't really notice anything negative last winter on the snow or ice, but my tahoe is AWD. They don't seem to throw many rocks, fairly quiet for how aggressive they are. I would definitely buy them again.

Had hankooks on my last pickup, i was pretty happy with them too.

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the inf
For the guys that like the Falken AT3Ws, are you running P rated (4ply) it LT (10 ply)? I’ve seen a couple guys on here that didn’t seem to care for them on a couple posts on here. One was for sure 10 ply and I suspect the other was as well. For the amount of towing I do and weight I tow, I can prob get by with 4 ply.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the inf
For the guys that like the Falken AT3Ws, are you running P rated (4ply) it LT (10 ply)? I’ve seen a couple guys on here that didn’t seem to care for them on a couple posts on here. One was for sure 10 ply and I suspect the other was as well. For the amount of towing I do and weight I tow, I can prob get by with 4 ply.

I have the 4 plys. All I ever tow is a trailer to go get lumber at menards and my boat. Boat is about 1200 lbs on a single axle trailer. 150 lbs of tongue weight if i had to guess.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the inf

Mine are P rated. Didn't need or want a LT on my 1/2 ton Sierra.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ran a fleet of about 40 vehicles. About 30 of them 1/2 ton pickups, the rest SUV's. Hankook Dynapro 10 ply seemed our huckleberry. Run them on my old Burb and the wife's Navigator. Will put them on my Ram once I get tired of the factory tires. 4 ply just don't stand up to our crappy roads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82