Who is the baitcaster master????

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a baitcaster and been practicing casting in my back yard for some time now.
I cannot cast very far...what am I doing wrong...drives me nuts watching videos and people are casting out a pretty good distance...whats the trick?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 11 year old daughter turned out to be a natural with one. Given my own skills, I was kinda :;:huh....

I guess I am ok with them so long as I'm using a heavy enough jig/lure, there's a knob on them that let's you tune the reel to the weight of the lure being used. Sorry, I'm not much help here.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just picked up my first baitcaster a few weeks ago...have only pulled cranks with it. Kinda scared to try casting it...with all the horror stories of birdsnesting! But honestly...and maybe it's just me, but for casting anything just like spinning set ups...used them all my life. But I will say for trolling, I'll probably use the baitcaster more and more...like just pushing the button to let the line out.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
well a few thoughts,what weight rod? length? reel? type of line? if your using a heavy action short rod you'll have casting issues ideally a 7' to 8' med rod line rated 10lb to 20lb test line for starters(good all around setup) with a fast action tip,then you'll need to adjust "free spool" on your reel for each lure weight doing so will help to eliminate backlash,the right reel helps the more bearings the better....oh lure weight adjustment is a magnet round dial on the side of your reel with lure attched release freel spool as the lure drops hits the ground or boat bottom free spool should stop if not you'l get backlash so tighten ajustment accordingly for each lure this will also help casting into the wind along with feathering spool with your thumb a little once you get the feel for casting.

PS Using braided line rated for your reel is alot better for casting (easier) and if you spool your reel yourself start by spooling some mono for backing fill reel half full before attaching braided line.

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^A lot of what snow said^^. I have four the last years with 2 being the bigger round Abu's with no mag brake and 2 low profile 1 Lews and a Quantum Accurist with mag break. I don't use my mag brake very much unless I just need to make small adjustments but even on my Lews I hardly touch it as the main spool adjustment has positive clicks to it but the Quantum I use sparingly as that spool tension knob does not have any clicks.
Another thing to help with the backlash fear is pull 100yds of line out and put a piece of electrical tape on the spool then reel the line back in. This way if you do start to have backlash it can only dig in as deep as the tape keeping it from digging into the spool resulting is bad words and sometimes cutting out most of the line, its much easier to pull the birds nest out.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's mostly about lure weight vs spool tension. Ease off the spool tension until your lure falls freely with gravity, but not fast enough to backlash when it stops.
Some (most these days) baitcasters have magnetic breaks. You can adjust that little dial on the side to fine tune spool breaking.
Some (like my newest Abu Rev SX) also have centrifugal breaks. I learned that one the hard way. I have two other Revo SXs, so I didn't bother to read the manual. Took it out and it wouldn't cast for shit. Spent most of the morning adjusting the magnetic break and spool tension with no change. Found a button on the side that allows you to pop the whole side off. Inside there were several centrifugal breaks on springs that were all turned on. Turned them all off and it casts like a wet dream.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good stuff....can't remember right off my head what my rod is, etc...I do know I spooled it with monofilament....like a dummy....lol
Im good at getting birdsnest out....lol..but can't cast worth...well..er you know what...

I'll report back later tonight with my set up....working right now...well...suppose be working...we having slow day in the warehouse

a1.JPG
a2.jpg
a3.JPG

OK, you guys can start on me anytime on whats wrong....he he he
On a good note, I was casting before I took pics...i'm getting little bitzy witzy better but can't get it go straight out in front of me....practice makes perfect I guess

Am I hearing this correct, that heavy line cast better? is that the logic?

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spool tension is the most critical, that and good sting. I probably have 20 of them these days, couldn't go fishing without them.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back cast plays a much more significant role with baitcasters. You can't just give it a flip like you can with a spinning reel. Need to load the rod and get some energy built into it before bringing forward and releasing. Side note: it always makes me scratch my head when I see guys bass or pike fishing with spinner baits, topwaters, and heavy spoons on their medium weight spinning outfits. That's squarely in the baitcasting wheelhouse

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i love throwing them and do it more all the time... swim baits are my new cocaine...

i have a 7'3" scheels medium heavy fast and a pflueger supreme with 20# spiderwire... 1/2 or 3/4 oz jigs with 4-6" swim baits will go a looong ways...

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
i love throwing them and do it more all the time... swim baits are my new cocaine...

i have a 7'3" scheels medium heavy fast and a pflueger supreme with 20# spiderwire... 1/2 or 3/4 oz jigs with 4-6" swim baits will go a looong ways...

Now you tell me what you got for a weapon...jeessh...lol

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you have to have a fairly heavy lure on to be able to cast very well at all with a baitcaster. And you can't go at it half assed. You have to throw it hard. Get the brake set just right and have at it. Abu made a backlash proof real many years ago and it was great to learn on. You also want to have your thumb riding on the spool when you cast it and a millisecond before the lure hits the water you want to stop the spool with your thumb and hold it there. That'll prevent backlashes.

Tlauz

Mono is fine. I mainly bass fish and have 12 pound mono on 3 bait casters and braid on 3 others. They all cast fine. Lures need to be 3/8 oz. or more. Practice makes perfect.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a balanced outfit, load up and cast... even if in the yard. Pick your favorite pro and watch thier videos. Some are magicians with bait casters. 1/4 oz and heavier, I'm fine with a bit lighter sometimes. Just don't cast into a stiff wind with low weight

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s all in the wrist.

Correct.

Casting a BC is more akin to fly casting when learning. The stiffer/faster the rod the more this holds true. When new, the wrist is kept relatively stiff allowing more emphasis on the forearm and elbow. As one becomes more comfortable with proper feel the wrist begins to dominate achieving the same distance with less rod movement.

The headwind is always the enemy and a strong tailwind also presents grief: The lure can't travel faster/slower than the spool.

To combat this; one must remember to return to the basics of elbow, forearm, thumb... sidearm or overhead. Smashing the rig in the water or against a rock is not productive.

I'm actually getting a bit annoyed as I type this: You'll eventually find in most cases a spinning rig will not out distance a properly thrown BC; all things being equal with appropriate weights.

Good BC rods should have a slow tip and fast spine. Many tips are too fast for ND. In wind the appropriate BC lures are more effective. IME/O.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
issues with spooling mono...most often when you least expect it... the proverbial birds nest casting in to the wind.

bad day of fishing.jpg

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start with a 3/4-1oz lip/lindy sinker. Cast with the wind at your back. Set out some targets to cast to.

Start with your brake so it barely lets line out for the weight w/gravity.

Try to cast 7-10' past your target, then finesse a little "thumb" into your spool as your weight gets close to the target. You need to be thumbing your spool BEFORE your lure stops moving forward and starts to fall vertically.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s all in your adjustments. The brakes and free spool knob. Whatcha a YouTube video. Baitcasters are not like spinning reels where they all cast the same. The difference between a $150 baitcaster compared to a $270 baitcaster is the difference between a good baitcaster and a crapper.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55