----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,066
      Given: 62
      Quote Originally Posted by wjschmaltz View Post
      The guy is asking about fishing the road system in south central AK. For distance reference, giving him stories about fishing in Sitka is literally like someone starting an Oahe thread and all the comments being “I’ve never fished Oahe but we fished Lake Michigan in 2001 and we all caught limits of walleye everyday.”
      Not completely true.

"I know less than 0 about Alaska, does anybody have some insight on some good fishing charters?
      Looking at doing 2 days fishing, Halibut and Salmon."

He is also asking about insight on good fishing charters and Sitka has fishing charters and is accessible by ferry boat as well as by flying. Let him use the info given as he pleases.

1 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #22
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 82
      Given: 35
      Was there this last July. We flew into anchorage and rented a rv from great Alaska holiday, or something similar to that name. Drove north to Denali then back to Seward and over to homer and back to anchorage. 7 day trip put 1100 miles on. Fished out of both homer and Seward. We did not regret the rv route and would do it again if/when we ever make it back up there.

3 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #23
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 705
      Given: 1,034
      From the research I did today, sounds like we will try to do Halibut and then try to float the Kenai for salmon or whatever.

Kayaking looks pretty awesome so I'm sure my mom and wife will want to do that. My wife also wants to look for whales and such.

Probably looking at around 7-8 days in Alaska, then travel days on either end.

One of the bigger questions I have.... should we leave the kids at home? They will be 4 and 2.5 years old at that time, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to bring them with or not. They probably won't remember it, plus this is shaping up to be a doing stuff trip, not just relaxing on a beach somewhere. It's a long while to leave them at home though at that age.....

1 Not allowed!
      She was eating cookies like Nabisco needed their bags back.

4. Back To Top    #24
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,283
      Given: 1,706
      Classifieds
      Quote Originally Posted by Lungdeflator View Post
      should we leave the kids at home?
      I don't envy this decision. We have generally always taken our kids on vacation. However, as I was contemplating your question, Mrs. Sluggo got home so I asked her what she thought. We both concluded that you should leave the kids home because of their age. Most of our activities would not have been doable with a 2.5 and 4 year old. Example, our fishing charter was a 12 hour trip and the waves were huge on the 20 mile boat ride back which was tough even for some adults. And if you plan on hiking trails....bears are a possibility. JMO.

3 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Sluggo; 10-01-2019 at 06:49 PM.

5. Back To Top    #25
      VIP Member
      Salty Dog

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,667
      Given: 846
      Anchorage is a shithole
      Rent an RV and drive where you want to
      Salt water charters are very expensive, only boat I recommend is the Predator out of J-Dock in Seward.
      Best weather and biggest halibut are end of June Beginning of July.
      Use octopus for bait even if you have to bring it yourself, sold at most bait stores.
      The Kenai is pretty but a million other ass hats will be sharing it with you.
      Anchorage is a shithole
      Riding on the Alaska railroad from ANC to Seward is a cool trip
      Seward has a sea life center that is very cool to check out.
      I also recommend the flight tour of Denali from Talkeetna Air, it will blow you away. Read Wager the Wind by Don Sheldon before you go....
      Homer is cool
      Valdez is cool
      You can drive across the Denali Highway and catch grayling on every stream that has moving water with a fly rod or small vibrax.
      You could drive up to Fairbanks through Denali on the parks highway then come back down the Glen highway through Delta and Glenallen and see allot of AK.
      But its a long drive and you will know what a frost heave is !
      Anchorage is still a shithole.

Google is your friend, Nothing is cheap, make a list of what you want to do then make a milk run of where you want to do it.

I lived in AK for 17 years and have been traveling up to work for almost 10 more years, and I haven't seen half of the cool shit.

5 Not allowed!
      Norm Dahl
      NPAA # 560

6. Back To Top    #26
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 737
      Given: 724
      Quote Originally Posted by huffranger View Post
      Anchorage is a shithole
      Rent an RV and drive where you want to
      Salt water charters are very expensive, only boat I recommend is the Predator out of J-Dock in Seward.
      Best weather and biggest halibut are end of June Beginning of July.
      Use octopus for bait even if you have to bring it yourself, sold at most bait stores.
      The Kenai is pretty but a million other ass hats will be sharing it with you.
      Anchorage is a shithole
      Riding on the Alaska railroad from ANC to Seward is a cool trip
      Seward has a sea life center that is very cool to check out.
      I also recommend the flight tour of Denali from Talkeetna Air, it will blow you away. Read Wager the Wind by Don Sheldon before you go....
      Homer is cool
      Valdez is cool
      You can drive across the Denali Highway and catch grayling on every stream that has moving water with a fly rod or small vibrax.
      You could drive up to Fairbanks through Denali on the parks highway then come back down the Glen highway through Delta and Glenallen and see allot of AK.
      But its a long drive and you will know what a frost heave is !
      Anchorage is still a shithole.

Google is your friend, Nothing is cheap, make a list of what you want to do then make a milk run of where you want to do it.

I lived in AK for 17 years and have been traveling up to work for almost 10 more years, and I haven't seen half of the cool shit.

Quick question for ya....how’s anchorage

6 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #27
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 27
      Given: 0
      Classifieds

Yukon/Alaska

Drove there twice, 2015 and 2018. Spent two weeks the first time and 4 weeks the second time. The second time we drove to Tuktoyaktuk (Tuk for short) in the NWT, it is as far as you can go by to the Arctic Ocean. What Huffranger says is kind of true about Anchorage, it is no different than any other large city. went the middle of June in 2015 a little colder but seen a lot more wildlife and a lot less tourists than 2018. If you drive buy a book called Milepost, you have to buy it on Amazon. In the book there is a passcode that allows you download the App Milepost Tour Guide. Once downloaded it is a GPS driven App. It shows every road going to and from Alaska. There are tons of fishing charters all around and I am sure some are not as good as others. Homer is neat and if you get there the middle of July you can catch silvers right from shore but there are lots of people. If you go to Homer you have to go to the Salty Dog Saloon. Buy the way, you guy's don't throw the cream can at me but I never fished (wife didn't want to go), she told that I can fly up there and go fishing, great. I you live in Minot I can help you with your road trip. PS if you have a steel body vehicle buy some Skeeter Beeters so you can roll down windows without the bugs coming in. Doing any hiking don't stop walking the pest will get you and get deet. Everything is beautiful but I liked the drive thru Yukon and NWT. By the just because it says highway on maps it may be a gravel highway. Dawson City to Tuk is 550 miles of gravel. Take two mounted spares. By the way it is 3006 miles from Minot to Tuk. Have Fun

0 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #28
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 530
      Given: 1,389
      Quote Originally Posted by Lungdeflator View Post
      One of the bigger questions I have.... should we leave the kids at home? They will be 4 and 2.5 years old at that time, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to bring them with or not. They probably won't remember it, plus this is shaping up to be a doing stuff trip, not just relaxing on a beach somewhere. It's a long while to leave them at home though at that age.....
      As @Sluggo mentioned, I would recommend leaving them at home, this trip. We left our boys at home both times we went. At that age they are only going to remember parts of the trip, if that. Once you go, you'll definitely make it a priority to get back up there, so you can take them when they are older, can participate more, and will remember everything. That's my plan for our two boys and my $.02

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #29
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 149
      Given: 358
      I've been to AK 3 times. Twice like what you're talking about. We flew to Anchorage, rented a vehicle, slowly made our way up to Homer where we had 2 days of charter fishing - unfortunately Captain Tony of the Falcon is no longer in business, but lots of boats up there. We had great halibut, and ling cod fishing...only ran down-riggers once after we filled our halibut (back when we could each get 2/day). The drive to Homer is nice - stop at a few spots to fish, visit a little brewery in Soldotna, hit the Salty Dawg like Coldfront mentioned and your wife will probably love all the little shops on the spit. My last trip to Homer was 2012,
      so not sure of recent fishing
      (Fished kings on the Nushagak a week this year, but not this kind of trip) - good luck!

Name:  homer.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  101.8 KB

1 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #30
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,570
      Given: 1,848
      July in Seward Halibut fishing 2012 and March in Willow for start of Iditarod 2018. Wife even caught an Octopus. No real size to the Halibut but was fun catching just the same. Took her dad up for his 80th Bday. The other ppl on charter was a father son. Skipper was a girl named Sue..lol.charter captain in Alaska during their fishing season, charter captain in FL during winter. First mate had a few fingers missing from one of his hands..probably an anchor mishap..oops..lol. We used www.thefishhouse.net charter out of Seward.
      If you are looking for something to do on shore, check out a dog sledding tour. My wife's cousin runs this one. www.ididaride.com
      Name:  Alaska.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  101.3 KB
      Name:  Iditarod#3.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  98.3 KB

1 Not allowed!
      Last edited by 3Roosters; 10-02-2019 at 09:13 AM.

11. Back To Top    #31
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,190
      Given: 341
      FYI,Ive read that this past summer alaska fish n game canceled king salmon fishing do to over fishing,mostly due to commercial fishing taking to many doing they're spawning run.Also most of my "yahoo" pals had small air craft like a second car,some with floats other crazies just big over sized fat tires to land on dry creek beds for fishing,your limiting where you can travel by vehicle unless your entire trip is charter fishing and limited sight seeing,air travel is the best way to see the last frontier. Or do a float trip as stated above.Float trip camp site in august

Name:  camp.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  73.4 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Time it right the fishing is off the chart...

Name:  dolly varden.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  78.4 KB

4 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #32
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,190
      Given: 341
      Name:  dropped.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  97.4 KBdrop off for 60 mile float trip out to the bearing sea.Bears,wolves moose and caribu almost every day

1 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12