used boat prices

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question.....is a 21ft boat really needed in the dakotas?

How many folks do you want on the boat? Are you content leaving the boat on the trailer when the wind blows?

Dad's neighbor had a 16' Lund w/50HP Merc tiller. I can remember riding bitch in a standard-cab pickup from Bismarck S to Cattail Bay, seeing the waves and turning right around and driving home.

I can tell you that I fish a lot of days in my '12 186 Yar-Craft that I'd have left my previous '06 1850 Fish-Hawk on the trailer. Exact same length, Yar is ~3.5" wider. Both have a full windshield. 150 Suzi vs. 200 Yamaha. The Yar-Craft is also much more predicable around the dock giving momma more confidence to do the pickup @ the courtesy dock while I park the truck, and load the boat onto the trailer once I've backed it down.

Momma and the kids much prefer the smoother drier ride. Does more $$ = more memories?

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many folks do you want on the boat? Are you content leaving the boat on the trailer when the wind blows?

Dad's neighbor had a 16' Lund w/50HP Merc tiller. I can remember riding bitch in a standard-cab pickup from Bismarck S to Cattail Bay, seeing the waves and turning right around and driving home.

I can tell you that I fish a lot of days in my '12 186 Yar-Craft that I'd have left my previous '06 1850 Fish-Hawk on the trailer. Exact same length, Yar is ~3.5" wider. Both have a full windshield. 150 Suzi vs. 200 Yamaha. The Yar-Craft is also much more predicable around the dock giving momma more confidence to do the pickup @ the courtesy dock while I park the truck, and load the boat onto the trailer once I've backed it down.

Momma and the kids much prefer the smoother drier ride. Does more $$ = more memories?

Make sense I guess. However in my area of the glacial lakes of SD a 21 footer is a detriment. Too big to put into many of these bodies. I know guys that have them but then they'll go buy a puddle jumper too. I see if I fished the River exclusively then that big of a boat would be advantageous. Since I don't...I prefer smaller. Even think my 18 is too big sometimes.

Honored Member
Make sense I guess. However in my area of the glacial lakes of SD a 21 footer is a detriment. Too big to put into many of these bodies. I know guys that have them but then they'll go buy a puddle jumper too. I see if I fished the River exclusively then that big of a boat would be advantageous. Since I don't...I prefer smaller. Even think my 18 is too big sometimes.

That's why they make so many different models. Everyone's wants and needs are different.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you'd seen the shit-show ditch-launching that used to occur in the "Pelican" or any of the NW chain portions of Devils Lake, there is no such thing as "too big to put into a body of water". The only limiting factor is finding a place to float the boat OFF the trailer. Getting it back on can be a "production" but folks will do some mighty silly things for good fishing.

Early 2000's I can recall speaking with a very busy guide on Devils Lake and he was going through 2-3 AL props/Mo.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive seen guys do that here too. They seem to be able to get them off and even back on. But pulling them out of the mud pit was always fun to watch. Kinda like guys getting hung up around here in too steep of ditches with their giant ice castles.

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there will be a huge bubble popped too when Rona is over. All these people will be back at work and have an 80k boat sitting in driveway. Or, just the opposite. Guy's job ends up being terminated forever and now he is stuck with 80k boat. Either way there will be a flood of boats out there and if you wait and play the game just right you may be able to pull a good one for a good price. I have a '15 Ranger 1880. Loaded pretty well and in great shape. However, I've always been a tiller guy and have debated going back to one. The tillers are just as much as windshield boats now days. The prices they put on a floating banana peel is crazy! How can a tiller be virtually same price as a newish windshield boat?
Secondly, I was also debating selling my pickup. I have a '14 silverado crew cab. Only 36k miles on it. Never drive it obviously. The value of that is still around $30k! So it's clear these rates are with all types of recreation and/or vehicles.

well tillers now days have power steering and 250hp motors. The boats themselves aren’t the difference in price. Tillers used to have a motor half the size of a wheel boat making them “look” cheaper. The difference in price has always been the motor.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
well tillers now days have power steering and 250hp motors. The boats themselves aren’t the difference in price. Tillers used to have a motor half the size of a wheel boat making them “look” cheaper. The difference in price has always been the motor.

good point!

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All I can say is I fished out of one them 2020 Rangers 621 fs and there a piece of shit as far as I’m concerned. I could go on and on of what was wrong with them that I found in the 15 days or so I was in it but it would take to long. In 2004 I purchased a brand new 1850 fish hawk with 150 Evenrude for around $24,000 I took care of it and did replace the transom my self in 2016 which turned out better than the factory I must say! Had over 3000 hours on the motor in spring 2019 when a drunk off duty police officer totaled everything out! Nobody hurt but the truck and boat! Over the years there wasn’t many sparkling fancy boats that we didn’t take money from fishing tournaments In that boat! The fisherman in the boat makes the boat not the boat that makes the fisherman! These boats you see now for 75 to 100 thousand 30 years ago were 30-40 thousand does this mean they will be almost 200 thousand in another 30 years?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
400hp? just cant imaging. But am positive they will have some 500hp in the near future, and plenty of guys will be buying them to cruise DL and Sak.

I cant wait for my one buddy to be the first in line to purchase that sombitch, as his money literally grows on trees, or maybe its the black gold..

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha I got a buddy that paid cash for a 620 Ranger in 2013. He's gonna upgrade electronics for $10k or more. He owns his own company and makes a ton of cash but is so tight if you put a chunk of coal in his ass in a week it would be a diamond. 2 years ago we took 2nd with 3 man team, had to split $2800, he took the extra $100 LOL.

Honored Member
All I can say is I fished out of one them 2020 Rangers 621 fs and there a piece of shit as far as I’m concerned. I could go on and on of what was wrong with them that I found in the 15 days or so I was in it but it would take to long. In 2004 I purchased a brand new 1850 fish hawk with 150 Evenrude for around $24,000 I took care of it and did replace the transom my self in 2016 which turned out better than the factory I must say! Had over 3000 hours on the motor in spring 2019 when a drunk off duty police officer totaled everything out! Nobody hurt but the truck and boat! Over the years there wasn’t many sparkling fancy boats that we didn’t take money from fishing tournaments In that boat! The fisherman in the boat makes the boat not the boat that makes the fisherman! These boats you see now for 75 to 100 thousand 30 years ago were 30-40 thousand does this mean they will be almost 200 thousand in another 30 years?

Im curious as to what was wrong with the boat or what you didnt like?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, look at pickup prices. In the early 1990s you could get a new one for 20k, how they are 50k to 60k. Everything keeps going up in price.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
400hp? just cant imaging. But am positive they will have some 500hp in the near future, and plenty of guys will be buying them to cruise DL and Sak.

I cant wait for my one buddy to be the first in line to purchase that sombitch, as his money literally grows on trees, or maybe its the black gold..

More hp = more walleyes. and more chicks. it's simple science.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's not only boats. I built my house in the mid-70's for about $45,000. Today if I wanted to sell it, houses similar in the town I live are going for $150,000-$200,000. In one of the large cities of the state I'm sure it would approach $300,000. When I graduated from college in the early 70's I could have bought 4 quarters of farmland for $75/acre. Today it would be over $2000/acre. NCentral ND. In college I remember paying $.19/gallon for gas. Filled the muscle car for about $5 and a case of pretty good beer was $6. Bought my first brand new car after getting my first job for $3300, a Ford Gran Torino. I know, way to much for a Ford. Point being, other than technology, everything has increased in price.

Is it worth it? Probably not but the memories might be.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Im curious as to what was wrong with the boat or what you didnt like?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, look at pickup prices. In the early 1990s you could get a new one for 20k, how they are 50k to 60k. Everything keeps going up in price.

Loved the boat very stable and roomy had it in 17 foot rollers on Green Bay ! Best we could figure the transom never had a chance to dry out never sitting for long and wood on any boat means it will rot away eventually! Factory was 3000 to fix I haul it! We did it all for about $700 welded back, new bolts in it and marine grade plywood. Took about a month! Caught to many fish out of it to keep track of! still would have it if it weren’t for the accident that still hasn’t been settled going on two years now! Got a 16’ fish hawk with a 50 horse to keep me sane for now but as with anything it’s still to small but it works
Sorry rant over!!!!!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loved the boat very stable and roomy had it in 17 foot rollers on Green Bay ! Best we could figure the transom never had a chance to dry out never sitting for long and wood on any boat means it will rot away eventually! Factory was 3000 to fix I haul it! We did it all for about $700 welded back, new bolts in it and marine grade plywood. Took about a month! Caught to many fish out of it to keep track of! still would have it if it weren’t for the accident that still hasn’t been settled going on two years now! Got a 16’ fish hawk with a 50 horse to keep me sane for now but as with anything it’s still to small but it works
Sorry rant over!!!!!!!

I have been on erie in 6 foot rollers and about shit my pants. i would say it was your huge balls weighting down the ranger to be out in seventeen footers that is some deadliest catch shit there.

Honored Member

Sorry rant over!!!!!!!

What didnt you like about the 621FS?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93