2016 NR any deer bow licenses

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ND Game & Fish are offering 281 non-resident any deer bow tags for 2016, have they even finished their aeriel surveys yet?

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is based on the previous mule deer licenses so aerial surveys don't matter.

Right, 15% of last year's antlered mule deer gun licenses but what's the scientific strategy behind this? Another paradigm that needs to be changed that I thought was going to be revisited this year after all of the talk of a one tag system last year and all of the pissed off bowhunters. I know I heard that more than once at more than on advisory meeting.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad they still have this. I hope to make it out this or next year. I paid three years of taxes with not shooting a deer, is it okay with you all if I come back and try again? ;) What is the ratio between NR bow tags offered and resident bow tags purchased? Just curious...

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was done by the legislature several sessions ago. I don't particularly like it, but it is better than the unlimited tags they had before. Still think that one hunter, one tag is the only fair way to go but G&F doesn't have the backbone to stand up to a few bow hunters who do a let of yelling.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad they still have this. I hope to make it out this or next year. I paid three years of taxes with not shooting a deer, is it okay with you all if I come back and try again? ;) What is the ratio between NR bow tags offered and resident bow tags purchased? Just curious...

NO, it is not OK!!! :;:howdy

I think the anger behind this is that it is for our precious mule deer. I believe a NR can come to ND and buy a whitetail bow tag over the counter, never hear a peep on this? I buy a bow tag every year and basically only hunt mule deer out west. I also hunt out of state where I can buy an any deer bow tag over the counter so I cannot scream to loud, but I do think the allotment system needs to be re-examined.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
People really need to understand politics in North Dakota before they go ripping on Game & Fish for everything. If you don't like this law don't blame Game & Fish, talk to your legislators. They had nothing to do with this law. It came about when sportsman's groups got a law introduced to limit non-residents to, I believe it was 5% of the previous years mule deer gun tags. There were several legislators that had guides and outfitters in their districts and they amended it to 15% and pushed it through. Game & Fish doesn't make many laws and they are limited in the ones they can make. Often times laws are passed they disagree with but have no choice but to follow them. Most of the time, if you want things changed, talk to your representatives not the Game & Fish.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who cares. How many of them 281 will actually kill a muley??? Why does everyone get all butt hurt about a damn mule deer. There's plenty of them around out west. I can drive 16mi and see 100 on a good day but then I can drive the same rds and see none too.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet plenty of those guys shoot a muley. People care because it's a limited resource and many residents will be waiting 5, 6, 7+ years to draw a rifle tag.

DustyG33

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize it takes that long to get a rifle tag but it's the same wait for a whitetail tag out west. In 3b1 it's harder to get a whitetail tag than muley tag. Maybe we shouldn't allow NR to hunt period then. How long do they gotta wait to get that bow tag? I know a guy that has 11pts as NR for rifle tag and he's from ND originally

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not letting NR's hunt here at all is NOT a game we want to play. I'm assuming many of you like to be able to go to other states to hunt/fish, right?

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a crock of $#!+ that they even get an any deer tag.

You obviously don't hunt other states..... I agree 15% is a high number compared to other states but...
Why shouldn't people from other states have the chance to hunt here? We have the opportunity to hunt there.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I realize it takes that long to get a rifle tag but it's the same wait for a whitetail tag out west. In 3b1 it's harder to get a whitetail tag than muley tag. Maybe we shouldn't allow NR to hunt period then. How long do they gotta wait to get that bow tag? I know a guy that has 11pts as NR for rifle tag and he's from ND originally

It doesn't matter how many points he has he's never going to get a non-resident tag in that unit without owning land. Only 1% of deer gun licenses go to non-residents. That total includes non-resident landowner tags that are removed from that pool first. With no more than 200-300 whitetail buck tags available that means there are only 2 or 3 non-resident whitetail buck tags available to non-residents and they are taken by non-resident landowners.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, 15% of last year's antlered mule deer gun licenses but what's the scientific strategy behind this? Another paradigm that needs to be changed that I thought was going to be revisited this year after all of the talk of a one tag system last year and all of the pissed off bowhunters. I know I heard that more than once at more than on advisory meeting.

Can't blame the NDGF on this. It's strictly a legislature kind of deal. The guides and outfitters along with the pay-for-hunt crowd were cringing at the prospect of fewer NR hunters with deeper pockets than their fellow North Dakotans.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was done by the legislature several sessions ago. I don't particularly like it, but it is better than the unlimited tags they had before. Still think that one hunter, one tag is the only fair way to go but G&F doesn't have the backbone to stand up to a few bow hunters who do a let of yelling.

buy a bow. then you have the same opportunity to harvest more than one buck like everyone else who is lucky enough to get drawn for a rifle tag too. (I don't even bowhunt and think the 1 tag idea was thought of by a liberal crybaby)

- - - Updated - - -

Not letting NR's hunt here at all is NOT a game we want to play. I'm assuming many of you like to be able to go to other states to hunt/fish, right?

In most other western states every single resident can buy a rifle tag over the counter. theres not 60,000 applicants that don't get a tag and have to watch a nr bowhunter hunt while they cant.

- - - Updated - - -

then tell your buddy to move back to his home state then and become a resident.

- - - Updated - - -

and if theres anyone I haven't got all butt hurt yet. . . . . . titty sprinkles

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41