2023 ND Deer Rifle Season

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's very important that all sportsman fill out the survey, its one of the best overall tools that the gnf have to determine how many tags they will give out next year. Granted new technology is useful advantage in some areas but a deer survey is by far a better tool then a drone flight footage when there are so many variables to consider.
Also there all kinds of articles online from this year and last talking about the harsh winterkill and the areas infected with the cwd that one can use to make their own conclusions by.
Realize the survey helps, but they are going to sell licenses regardless to get their money. They dropped a bunch for this yrs hunt but probably could have doubled it. Sure many would have bitched because didn't draw but facts are facts about what's out in the real world.
Not directing this comment solely on you !

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the NWA we always had the tenderloin and back-straps for breakfast.
Cut in one inch thickness.
Dip in Buttermilk.
Bread with fry magic.
Fry in old cast iron pan with 1/4 inch or so of very hot oil.
Cook about 1 1/2 to 2
minutes per side.
Eggs over easy.
Buttermilk, fry magic? Sounds like you ruined the perfect parts of a deer

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So tell us what would you consider the best? Every picture is a youth hunter posing next to an antlerless deer. Of course it's a popularity contest that's what the criteria is based on a single picture of a deer hunter and its deer, except for the one that has also a coyote who happens to have the most likes. You never voted for the homecoming queen I'm guessing, because I hate to break it to you it's based on the tradition of the most popular female in the school. I don't know anyone from that list but I know 5575, that's how popularity contest work.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pure n simple Lunk..., if you're gonna vote on ANYTHING, use Your Judgment, voting is not a popularity contest.

And no, I did not vote as I didn't look at the entries.
And yes, that's a nice pic he posted.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pure n simple Lunk..., if you're gonna vote on ANYTHING, use Your Judgment, voting is not a popularity contest.
Ah yes in certain situations that's exactly what it is, even if you are using only judgement alone, you are placing your pick on the one picture that appeals to your sight. Again homecoming queen is a contest that is picked purely on one's appeal to everyone else's picture. I doubt the freshman have had a one on one interaction with the candidates to be able to judge them individually. Now running for student government is exactly what you woukd consider as someone who is the best qualified candidate for the position they are running for. We will have to agree to disagree since I don't know any of the other pics and there isn't any other criteria that is mentioned as a way to pick the best one other then the picture itself and also having an account. So I had someone else vote for me because I don't have a account. 🤪 🤫

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
the last few years I don't even hear a shot in 2d around my place, in the 70s you would hear people hollering pushing deer and hundreds of shots. times have changed.
Does this mean hunting methods have changed, limited access or lack of game? I did exactly ONE first week of "rabbit hunting" for deer in 2000: Didn't like it for a few reasons then wouldn't go out until the second week.

IMO deer have become semi-domesticated: It's a double edged sword. If one travels from the north end of the state on gravel to link with 83 many deer can be observed bedded in the yards of cheerily lit farmhouses at last light: They're probably sick of deer meat and people.

That is all.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah yes in certain situations that's exactly what it is, even if you are using only judgement alone, you are placing your pick on the one picture that appeals to your sight. Again homecoming queen is a contest that is picked purely on one's appeal to everyone else's picture. I doubt the freshman have had a one on one interaction with the candidates to be able to judge them individually. Now running for student government is exactly what you woukd consider as someone who is the best qualified candidate for the position they are running for. We will have to agree to disagree since I don't know any of the other pics and there isn't any other criteria that is mentioned as a way to pick the best one other then the picture itself and also having an account. So I had someone else vote for me because I don't have an account. 🤪 🤫
IME, student government was no different than homecoming courts. Not until one starts paying taxes do they really care about who they vote for. Even then, people like camper exist, so some never learn.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
i say it is the lack of tags given out.
You could give everyone that applies a tag, that doesn't change the number of deer in the field to shoot. Driving around Am and Pm, you wouldn't even see deer in farm yards or miles and miles of posted land where as last yr, could easily see 30 deer/ day. These were areas where corn was knocked down also.We averaged 15/ all day.
Walked all afternoons and only kicked up 4 deer in 13 day hunts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84