2023 ND Deer Rifle Season

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
as the GF sits back and smiles and pushes to the public it all CWD….

Maybe just maybe if jeb would cut the BS focus more on habitat the severe winters wouldn’t be as severe and the EHD outbreaks not as bad but what fun is that when you can run around the state and lie at every advisory board meeting

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
The G&F have themselves in a pickle. License sales are way down. They’re funded by license sales. Their mismanagement of the deer herd goes way back. Things won’t change in the foreseeable future.
That’s where the CWD money comes in

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder what G&F is paying on the plots land that should not be in plots being its a bean or small grain field that will hold some meadow larks and thats about it.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what G&F is paying on the plots land that should not be in plots being its a bean or small grain field that will hold some meadow larks and thats about it.
Does ND have any Meadow Larks??? I haven't seen any in eastern ND for years.
Of course GF City does enough mosquito spray it covers at least 3 counties.:eek:

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have shot a lot of ducks and geese in bean and small grain fields.
That's all fine and good but that being said does nothing for the game that is here year round, as an example, one farmer for years and years has plots land and is still cutting corn when he is putting cattle in, plus his farm is with in 440 yards. See the problem here

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's all fine and good but that being said does nothing for the game that is here year round, as an example, one farmer for years and years has plots land and is still cutting corn when he is putting cattle in, plus his farm is with in 440 yards. See the problem here
Then go buy some land and post it up, then you won’t have to worry about it. Then you can have plots land, get paid for it and bitch about hunters like you are bitching about land owners.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 440 isn't in play when enrolled around farmstead. Everyone I have seen that close have signs No Shooting Towards Buildings.
Mild yrs like this so far, ranchers are going to keep cattle out where there is food so don't have to feed yet. Yes we as hunters get screwed on that part but it isn't cheap when have to start feeding. Probably do the same if I was a rancher.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually small grains like winter wheat are very beneficial to nesting ducks especially pintails. Shot my biggest whitetail to date about 50 yards from cows in the same cut corn field. For the few bad situations there are probably 100 good ones so it makes the plots in nd and walk in program here more than worth it.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish hasn’t been perfect, but I wouldn’t call their tactics mismanagement. I came across this graph on another ND hunting site:
4D91962A-F1CB-4A91-B42C-6D28D4A1B0AD.jpeg

Pretty much shows that tags are based on population, and population correlates with habitat. The illusory truth effect of “game and fish bad” is strong since the bait ban fiasco, but it’s pretty clear that habitat is key. Our game and fish dept can “advise” all they want, it takes private landowners to take part and without dollars, it’s an uphill battle. Above it was mentioned that you can hardly find a meadowlark in eastern ND. Because big farming practices render land devoid of life, down to insects. If we could incentivize habitat conservation, we wouldn’t be having deer population arguments every time there’s a couple tough winters.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all about habitat. Pretty simple really. When there was soil bank and CRP programs there was way more wildlife habitat and in turn way more wildlife and hunting opportunities. Now there is farming from road to road, way less habitat and much less wildlife and hunting opportunities. My dad was able to enjoy both soil bank and CRP. I was lucky to be in my hunting prime during CRP, hopefully I'm lucky enough to experience that kind of hunting again someday. It would be sad if our kids and grandkids never get to experience that kind of hunting opportunities...............

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
One way ND could improve the habitat situation is manage our school lands for wildlife habitat rather then just rent them out to farmers and ranchers for peanuts. Would be a nice way to use our heritage fund dollars. Get some food plots and tree cover on them instead of digging them black or grazing them to the ground.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@NDSportsman , I'm afraid those days are gone. If a program like CRP was to ever ( very unlikely) come back again, it will be in the forum of Pay To Hunt. Just like original, land was not suppose to be allowed to be posted that was put in the program. That sure didn't last very long. I helped seed 1000's of acres up around the Woodworth territory. Second yr of seeding they were allowed to post already at a reduced payment rate.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish hasn’t been perfect, but I wouldn’t call their tactics mismanagement. I came across this graph on another ND hunting site:
4D91962A-F1CB-4A91-B42C-6D28D4A1B0AD.jpeg

Pretty much shows that tags are based on population, and population correlates with habitat. The illusory truth effect of “game and fish bad” is strong since the bait ban fiasco, but it’s pretty clear that habitat is key. Our game and fish dept can “advise” all they want, it takes private landowners to take part and without dollars, it’s an uphill battle. Above it was mentioned that you can hardly find a meadowlark in eastern ND. Because big farming practices render land devoid of life, down to insects. If we could incentivize habitat conservation, we wouldn’t be having deer population arguments every time there’s a couple tough winters.
Most logical post on here in months.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
@NDSportsman , I'm afraid those days are gone. If a program like CRP was to ever ( very unlikely) come back again, it will be in the forum of Pay To Hunt. Just like original, land was not suppose to be allowed to be posted that was put in the program. That sure didn't last very long. I helped seed 1000's of acres up around the Woodworth territory. Second yr of seeding they were allowed to post already at a reduced payment rate.
Are you saying crp is no longer a program?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, we can talk nutrition all we want but supplemental feed is not the answer. Most of a deer’s diet is browsing woody plants for leaves, buds, twigs. Especially in winter. They move to wide open crops when they’re desperate to survive, not it because it’s preferred. It’s said a deer needs to eat 6-8% of its weight to stay healthy, how could G&F possibly sustain the population? I don’t know how accurate this is, but a quick Google shows that the 2023 ND whitetail population is 150,000. Quick math on the conservative side, 5% body weight, 125 lb average deer, we’re taking almost a million pounds of supplemental feed needed every day. And that’s not including mule deer. Who pays for this? Where is it sourced? How is it allocated and spread? God speed to those landowners who do feed and keep small pockets of deer alive, but overall the herd relies on habitat.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND CRP Expirations (Acres) by fiscal yr

2020 = 205,724 acres

2023 = 104,633 acres
2024 = 37,723 acres
2025 = 60,694 acres
2026 = 57,348 acres
2027 = 110,036 acres

Granted some may be re-enrolled ?

Recent Posts