.243 for Mule Deer?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried to be more open minded and stay out of interweb scraps. If I would not have been brought up I would have minded my own business

- - - Updated - - -

Accubombs do suck.. with two of us that makes it a fact

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree with your take. although you do realize you are one of the more opinionated, my way or you're wrong types on here right?

- - - Updated - - -

accubonds suck haha

You do realize you are like a bad cartoon that everyone likes to laugh at but doesn't admit they watched it. Stans dad keep making us laugh that is ALL you are good for. Make me laugh Stan make me laugh.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You do realize you are like a bad cartoon that everyone likes to laugh at but doesn't admit they watched it. Stans dad keep making us laugh that is ALL you are good for. Make me laugh Stan make me laugh.

get a psychiatrist you nut (that's a mental health doc for those not up on med terms).

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
get a psychiatrist you nut (that's a mental health doc for those not up on med terms).

Bahhhahahaha lmao you are sooooooo funny I forgot to laugh stan what do you do for a living beside making people laugh. Make me laugh Stan make me laugh

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;funnypost :;:thumbsup
Guys it's ok to come back now commence with the conversations about grown up real world stuff.

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no experience with the Amax but the buck in my avatar dropped to 140gr barnes match burner (6.5-284), they worked but not sure I would do it again. 100yd shot just behind the right shoulder and should have busted up the left shoulder, deer ran about 25yd and went down, then back up, then back down and on the 3rd time up hit him in the same spot to flatten him. There was no exit from the bullets and when I skinned him the entrance holes were 1-2" apart from each other and recovered some of the jacket, messed up the vitals something fierce and the left shoulder was full of copper and lead.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
my old man shot a .243 for deer forever. I've never seen anybody make so many single shot/kill shots in my life. it's totally about the shooter. If your a piss poor shot then by all means get the biggest cannon you can handle shooting.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keyboard cowboys and avocation of small rounds.
Hitting an animal is what kills it. The TKO is what drops them in their tracks, rather than an impact, and following a blood trail.... and even THAT isn't fully true, as an arrow, which has virtually no shocking power can drop the biggest animal on the mountain if you spine it...
It's called use what you practice with, and make sure the bullet will do the job for the conditions and the animal that you wish to kill.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets just take an 105 grain Amax and shoot it into a row of newspapers then take 100 grain partition and shoot that bullet into a row of newspapers. The results of the test will show the amax in pieces and not that deep of penetration. The old school partition will have a pretty little mushroom shape and penetrate much deeper.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 25-06 killed a mule deer dead in one shot from 550 yards. The 243 should do it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets just take an 105 grain Amax and shoot it into a row of newspapers then take 100 grain partition and shoot that bullet into a row of newspapers. The results of the test will show the amax in pieces and not that deep of penetration. The old school partition will have a pretty little mushroom shape and penetrate much deeper.

How hard is it to get a tag for news papers? Do you need bigger guns for the Sunday newspaper since they are thicker than an average news paper? Also whats the ethics on shooting the news paper while still in the news paper boys satchel?

- - - Updated - - -

Also i heard milk jugs full of water are tough to take down. Nothing less than a .375 if filled with kool aid will put them down.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot amaxs alot and i love em but they suck for hunting. I would guess the larger calibers have enough weight behind them to hold together better. Amax’s really do well in the wind its almost cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Will work just fine if you do your job,

Opinions will run the gamut, this is my $.02

Wife will be killing her deer this year with a .243 AI flingin 105gr A-max's

I will be shooting a 22-250 AI with 75gr A-max's and I am willing to bet the deer will die good.

Both will be running SRT cans, I don't like loud bangs anymore.

I shoot 75 amax’s at 3400 in my .22-250. They are wicked but splash just terrible on bone.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
prior to the no deer days of the twenty's and thirties, more whitetail were taken with a 25.20 or 32.20 than anything else, 30.30 being right up there. Shot placement, guys.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the video Kurt, that guy is awesome. Killed the better part of an hour last night watching his stuff.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know he makes me laugh. I like the one were he talks about snowflakes

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119