270 vs. 30-06

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a 6.5-06? That will outshine the creedmore all day.

- - - Updated - - -

None of the above. High to low. 30-06: can do anything, just nothing great. 270: boring, everyone has one. 25-06: it's like being a Jeep
owner, nuff said.

So you are saying that the Springfield class of cartridges are not good because of their immense popularity?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure this was just supposed to be for fun.

Fun? Fun you say? Keith and O'Conner argued this point as the spokesmen for their loyal gaggle of readers in print monthly for over 30yrs. You don't think we on NDA can resolve this in a couple of days with posts that are a sentence or two rather than 5-6 pages each?

I really do hate the accutrigger.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really do hate the accutrigger.[/QUOTE]

If any consolation, I have one rifle with accutrigger and I also think it really sucks.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

dy has the 6.5 prc that they will support like the creedmoor and have a big 6.5 that will go great with their 147 eldm
So you are saying that the Springfield class of cartridges are not good because of their immense popularity?

the 6.5 saum will out do both and has factory brass and now hornady has the 6.5 prc they will support like the creedmoor paired with the147 eldm will be fun

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
150-200 fps with a 2" longer bbl is all the wsm will have over the ol .270 so really not that much

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A .270 is actually a wildcat of the .30-06 so does that make it less boring?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Accutrigger vs Rem XMP trigger let's hear it.

1st and foremost, they both suck. The Remington sucks less because it doesn't have that 2-stagishness that the Savage has due to the initial take-up of the stupid blade in the middle before you get to the real trigger shoe.

Timney or Shilen for aftermarket 700's for me when need be, but, I'm completely happy with a pre-X-mark/X-MarkPro factory 700 trigger.

I'm even happier with a Kimber 82/84/8400 factory trigger or happiest with a Pre-BACO Winchester M70 trigger.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate to repeat myself and bore people, but an article about 20 years ago in I think Shooting Times talked about triggers. They took six used guns with average value, and six new high end rifles. Then they had some reputable rifle people shoot all 12 guns. The difference was they had a gunsmith work the triggers on the old guns. Every man shooting did better with the old rifles with the good triggers.

I have two savages. One I like the Accuttriger and the other I am not as happy with. The one has a very good barrel on a model16. If you get your finger way at the bottom of the trigger you can trip it without the gun firing. I thought something was wrong with my stock bedding the first time that happened. Move your finger up and no problem. The second rifle is a model 10 BA Stealth. You can not put your finger in the wrong spot. On a side note it came with the lands looking like a railroad track the milling marks were so bad. It performed poorly with subsonic loads. The first shot would be 1050 fps and the fifth would be 490 fps. I sent it back and it came with a barrel that is very nice.

My stock Remington trigger on my custom 308 is set at 1 lb 12 ounces. It only varies one ounce. My 300 mag is set at 2 pounds. Keep your finger off the trigger and it's no problem. I shoot much better with a light trigger. Now my new Ruger American Predator in 308 has at the lightest setting a 4.5 pound trigger. With 200 gr ELD-X it does group .55 inches, but I really have to concentrate. The trigger is Savage like.

Oh by the way I have three of those nasty 6.5 caliber. Two Creedmoors and a 6.5X284 Cooper. Kind of wish they would have had the 6.5X300SAUM, but the 6.5X284 with R17 is right on it's heals. Max load give me 3080 fps with a 140gr Berger VLD, but for accuracy I had to drop back to 2975 fps.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got reloader 26 for my boring .270. 150 grain partition here I come!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my second 270. I like it, but new guns keep getting in the way and the last I shot it was 2009. 150gr Berger VLD at 3070fps. Ya I know a little hot. No pressure signs though. IMG_1824.jpg

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

if every rifle in the world was destroyed, all factory ammo was the same price, and people had to choose a new rifle all over, I'd bet the 270 wins popularity would be significantly less.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
if every rifle in the world was destroyed, all factory ammo was the same price, and people had to choose a new rifle all over, I'd bet the 270 wins popularity would be significantly less.[/QUOTE

The world looks like it won't end today. That means the rifle world will not end also in all likelyhood.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really hate caliber debates. Shoot what you're comfortable and accurate with. A well placed shot does the trick every time with the right bullet for the game. Seriously we hunt game with sharp sticks and strings! It's all shot placement and not shooting beyond the weapons capabilities.

Then don't get involved. Pretty easy to not go into the forumu

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 14
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5