3 Class Bball system in ND?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i think i was a stud on playday back in the fifties at a class c school but the school was closed down during my 8 grade. Then to a class B school, where classes were bigger than the whole school i was going to. Never made the team but my memories of playday still are in my mind. My buddy and i won the 3-legged race and i came close to first in the baseball throw. My o my how it has change.

However, the learning was much better in the class B when you have 50-70 kids in a class versus 2 or 3.
That first report card in the 8th grade was not good and mother was concern. Told her there were kids there that study and did compete in the class room. I was just another number. Was not for me. db

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long overdue for three divisions!

Fairer competition and more opportunities for all schools to make the state tournament. Crazy to think the smallest class B schools should have to play the bishops Ryan of the state. Private schools should be put in the A classification at a minimum

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I aways felt the big schools could have 3 or 4 teams to field. That way we would have more teams to watch.
And after putting 5 kids in the system who had mother's gene and did well in sports, in the end it just does not matter other that what they and us parents learn by being involved. That comes no matter the level one is at. It is all the same and the same with my involvement in playday. db

Last edited:

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long overdue for three divisions!

Fairer competition and more opportunities for all schools to make the state tournament. Crazy to think the smallest class B schools should have to play the bishops Ryan of the state. Private schools should be put in the A classification at a minimum
Why should priviate schools have to play "A" at a minimum?
And if you respond because they recruit, you are terribly wrong. The butt hurt you peeps feel for the collasal failure of public schools, both academically and atheltically, is revealing.
Ever consider maybe some parents want their kids to go to a private christain school is because the kids are educated academically, physically (sports) and SPITITUALLY, just maybe that might be a reason to send your kid to a christian school? We need more of that thought process not less.
And I am very familiar with St Marys in Bismarck, I assure you they have lost lots "athletes" to the public system and not once has a public system "athelete" been recruited to play at St Marys, at least in recent times going back approximately 10 years, St Marys is on the losing end of that battle
The public schools in bismarck continue to recruit kids, its harder now with legacy in the mix, which is why BHS sucks now in FB and most other sports, Century and Legacy get the "athletes" and thats why Century has started "winning" everything, and hence the bitching about losing.
I know of multiple parents who have pulled their kids out of the public system and have went the home school way also, mostly because of the woke left
examples would be furries in school, dudes who think they are gals, and on and on and on
If you want to discriminate against christian schools then fine, but dont make me pay twice, once in taxes to support a failed public school system and their woke philosoph and then pay tuition for private school also

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever consider maybe some parents want their kids to go to a private christain school is because the kids are educated academically, physically (sports) and SPITITUALLY, just maybe that might be a reason to send your kid to a christian school?
This is a very good point, lots of talk about private christian schools pilfering kids, especially off the rez's, and we forget to mention that many natives subscribe to the christian faiths.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a very good point, lots of talk about private christian schools pilfering kids, especially off the rez's, and we forget to mention that many natives subscribe to the christian faiths.
Careful, BHS under Miller "pilfered" lots of kids off the "rez", its well documented and I referred to it in my previous post of a kid that lived with Miller, those kids were recruited just for to play ball
I get the argument, its all about winning and private schools cheat by recruiting, and I say maybe in the old days but not in todays world
I would name drop athletes who were recruited at both BHS and Mandan but I wont go there, its public knowledge
So sad we have to debate this, the public school system is broke, hopefully we can agree on that, and the pubic school system has by far a big advantage over any private school thanks to we the peoples tax paying generosity

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I get the argument, its all about winning and private schools cheat by recruiting, and I say maybe in the old days but not in todays world
I would disagree with this, somewhat.
I would say that SOME private schools do not recruit, and SOME do.
In the Minot area, this is extremely obvious.

FlatTopPete

Established Member
You guys are missing the point. The true Class B, what it used to be in its glory years, was when a bunch of farm kids would make it to the big dance and get to play in front of the whole state with a title on the line. The whole town would shut down and drive to minot or fargo or wherever it’s hosted and support the team cuz it’s a once in a life time thing. Think of the movie Hoosiers.

Class B has now become a tournament where 50-60% of the teams there are private Christian schools and the other half is made up of “huge” class b towns that are on the fringe of a huge city (kindred, grafton). Maybe one out of the 8 teams is a small rural community. That’s not what makes class B good.

Let the rural kids scrimmage against other towns that are their own size. Let the private schools compete against each other. And let the biggest city’s compete against each other.

End of discussion

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would disagree with this, somewhat.
I would say that SOME private schools do not recruit, and SOME do.
In the Minot area, this is extremely obvious.
So if Ryan is recruiting, what are they offering to the recruit? Playing time on the basketball team or are you saying they are offering finacial support for an athlete that would be different from what they offer every kid................. im curious to how they would be recruiting

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
So if Ryan is recruiting, what are they offering to the recruit? Playing time on the basketball team or are you saying they are offering finacial support for an athlete that would be different from what they offer every kid................. im curious to how they would be recruiting
The fact that you went straight to Ryan kind of says it all.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
It isn't so much about recruiting, as the public schools do it too. It's about big cities with hundreds of kids too draw on compared to rural communities with far less kids. Sure Shiloh, Ryan, Trinity, and Davies have smaller enrollment so they are B....BUT THEY STILL ARE LOCATED IN HUGE POPULATIONS!! If it's no advantage because their enrollment is small then why are they in the State B every year? I'll say it again, small rural communities don't like seeing Fargo, Bismarck, Dickinson, and Minot schools in the B tournament year after year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
... If it's no advantage because their enrollment is small then why are they in the State B every year? I'll say it again, small rural communities don't like seeing Fargo, Bismarck, Dickinson, and Minot schools in the B tournament year after year.

I think it's post 26 that covers this, but I will say it again. Private school kids don't have to go get a job as a 14-18 yr old like many of us had to in order to have spending money. This helps them maximize their athletic potential.

Yeah, I understand little communities get out and support their teams, I see their sense of community regularly as I've attended a number of VB games in those little towns. What you are leaving out here in the discussion is how Shiloh students, parents, faculty, and alumni are a community unto themselves even if they aren't defined by a polygon on a map somewhere. Where I see a little irony here is that if a private school is regularly in the Class B state basketball tournament, we should have an issue with that. However, if Bowman and New Town are always competitive for a state title in cross country, or if Linton, Napoleon and Center rule class B wrestling for decades; we should let that slide because it's not the sport that captivates my interest. Is there a master list of extracurriculars available that will let me know which activities private schools are allowed to excel at and those they should not? There are plenty of sports ruled by private schools, but there are a number of other activities ruled by small towns across ND.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact still remains that the private schools in big town have thousands of kids to draw from. It's undeniable! And they do draw on that population. Thousands of parents in the Bismark, Mandan area can choose to send their kid to Shiloh. Is it any wonder the routinely beat all the smaller communities with a limited supply of students.

If Napoleon with a student body of 78 kids can compete off of drawing from that population than that says a lot about their program and community! (I used 78 because that was their enrollment when they placed higher than BHS in wrestling at the Rotory)

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why should priviate schools have to play "A" at a minimum?
And if you respond because they recruit, you are terribly wrong. The butt hurt you peeps feel for the collasal failure of public schools, both academically and atheltically, is revealing.
Ever consider maybe some parents want their kids to go to a private christain school is because the kids are educated academically, physically (sports) and SPITITUALLY, just maybe that might be a reason to send your kid to a christian school? We need more of that thought process not less.
And I am very familiar with St Marys in Bismarck, I assure you they have lost lots "athletes" to the public system and not once has a public system "athelete" been recruited to play at St Marys, at least in recent times going back approximately 10 years, St Marys is on the losing end of that battle
The public schools in bismarck continue to recruit kids, its harder now with legacy in the mix, which is why BHS sucks now in FB and most other sports, Century and Legacy get the "athletes" and thats why Century has started "winning" everything, and hence the bitching about losing.
I know of multiple parents who have pulled their kids out of the public system and have went the home school way also, mostly because of the woke left
examples would be furries in school, dudes who think they are gals, and on and on and on
If you want to discriminate against christian schools then fine, but dont make me pay twice, once in taxes to support a failed public school system and their woke philosoph and then pay tuition for private school also
I get why people want their kids to go to a private school. No arguments there.

No private schools should be allowed to compete in class B because these private schools are all in big cities no where near the class B size. These private schools should have no problem competing in class A at the minimum. They can recruit player whether or not other public schools do the same.

Like someone else said class b is supposed to be about small rural towns and farm kids making the big tournament. Not the Bishop Ryan cake eaters!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ryan is probably one of the worst private schools out there when it comes to academics. I would not send my kids there to play sports because I rather them get a better education at MHS. Most of my Ryan buddies struggled big time in college while my MHS peer excelled. So you are right Bishop Ryan might not be recruiting……. Because who would want to go there…..

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that you went straight to Ryan kind of says it all.
The fact that you said the "Minot area" lead me to believe you were referencing Ryan
Way to dodge the question

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ryan is probably one of the worst private schools out there when it comes to academics. I would not send my kids there to play sports because I rather them get a better education at MHS. Most of my Ryan buddies struggled big time in college while my MHS peer excelled. So you are right Bishop Ryan might not be recruiting……. Because who would want to go there…..
I suspect you are from a town that gets its arse kicked by Ryan on a regular basis, most of my MHS buddies struggled big time in college while my Ryan peers excelled so take that

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
The fact that you said the "Minot area" lead me to believe you were referencing Ryan
Way to dodge the question
Ryan isn’t the only private school in Minot.

I have a friend whose son was recruited.
I’ll stay out of this conversation, mostly, as it is not a hill I care to die on, it is a touchy subject, and I am not an anonymous member on here. I hope you understand.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ryan isn’t the only private school in Minot.

I have a friend whose son was recruited.
I’ll stay out of this conversation, mostly, as it is not a hill I care to die on, it is a touchy subject, and I am not an anonymous member on here. I hope you understand.
I understand your position and I did not know there was another private school in Minot other than Ryan, if there is I have never heard of it, thanks for the reply

I really don't care about high school sports or follow any of it, and agree its a touchy subject with lots of people, especially when their "team" loses
Recruitment boils down to a choice, either the parents choice, or the players choice, or a combination
If recruitment is happening its because people are making the choice to move their kid to a different school or allowing their kid to move, I don't see how you can stop that

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect you are from a town that gets its arse kicked by Ryan on a regular basis, most of my MHS buddies struggled big time in college while my Ryan peers excelled so take that
Nope I went to the king of class A…… MHS! I actually have no Class B connection so non biased opinion here, but don’t get me started on how good of a job they did to split up the football divisions!

But seriously those Ryan kids were not prepared to attend UND, Minot State maybe was a different story……..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28