3 Class Bball system in ND?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesn't look to terrible. definitely some outliers on the ends class A though. someone post the AA please. i assume 2 from each region will go in A. but, i am having trouble envisioning AA. 4 from east and west i suppose? so, 50% of the teams will make the tourney every year? i guess we only pulled 3 out of AA and put them in A from the looks of it. so, does that leave 10-12 in east & west in AA?
Yep, basically take out Wahpeton, VC, DL, Belcourt, Watford. Remember the Horace school is coming online along with another school in Minot.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesn't look to terrible. definitely some outliers on the ends class A though. someone post the AA please. i assume 2 from each region will go in A. but, i am having trouble envisioning AA. 4 from east and west i suppose? so, 50% of the teams will make the tourney every year? i guess we only pulled 3 out of AA and put them in A from the looks of it. so, does that leave 10-12 in east & west in AA?
19 teams in AA, 4 from east and west go to state. Lost a few teams but gain the new WF Horace and Minot North.

1675967910525.png

Last edited:

★ Legendary Member
Have they said how many teams come out of the each division A region? Or are they going to go off of rankings for who makes it? I can see there being a big problem if you only take the top 2 from each region make state. If you think there is a lot of complaining just wait until one of the regions has 3-4 of the top teams in the state and 1-2 are left out and 2 from a weak region get in the state tournament and finish 7th/8th.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
wasn't watford in the middle tier in football and class b in basketball?
they are whatever we are in football, AA I believe
Have they said how many teams come out of the each division A region? Or are they going to go off of rankings for who makes it? I can see there being a big problem if you only take the top 2 from each region make state. If you think there is a lot of complaining just wait until one of the regions has 3-4 of the top teams in the state and 1-2 are left out and 2 from a weak region get in the state tournament and finish 7th/8th.
Not sure how they are doing it but I'd assume some sort of region tourney with top 2 coming from each, so ya, some years better teams will be left home, just like the way the B is right now. Don't see how they could do it with rankings, how would you choose that?

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
For some years in wrestling region 1 dominated, Napoleon, Oaks, South Border, Linton, all had dynasties, seen many wrestlers that would have placed 3 rd or 4th in state stay home because of this. Just unlucky I guess

★ Legendary Member
they are whatever we are in football, AA I believe

Not sure how they are doing it but I'd assume some sort of region tourney with top 2 coming from each, so ya, some years better teams will be left home, just like the way the B is right now. Don't see how they could do it with rankings, how would you choose that?
In the class B they rank the teams that make the tournament for who plays who...1-8, 2-7,3-6 and 4-5.
When I played it was the luck of the draw with who you play in the first round. I'm not saying this is bad, just curious of how they might do it.

Uncle Rico

In Class A, I believe there will be 4 regions 1 - SE, 2 - NE, and the two west regions are 3 and 4. Each region will play a region tourney, with the champion obviously advancing to the state tourney.

But the champions only provide 4 teams, so there will be additional state play-in games between the #2 and #3 finishing teams in the region tourneys. For example, in the east these games will be R1 #2 vs. R2 #3, and R1 #3 vs. R2 #2. And the same will happen between Regions 3 and 4. These games will provide the additonal 4 teams to fill the tourney.

Then the 8 qualifying coaches will seed the tourney. So unless I'm missing something, a real strong region could get 3 teams into the tourney in a given year.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There have been schools that have made a strong sport reputation year end and year out. There may be a time or two they are not on top or near the top, but their name keeps coming up. Generation after generation of kids from the same community. Starts when the kids are little with the commitment by all.

I feel it was not because they had more numbers but the commitment from the community. Be it the kids, parents, coaches, community, the school itself. That commitment to the program comes before having the most numbers. You will not achieve the goal of evening it out by basing that goal with numbers. db

But then it has been said Thompson does well as it gets all the rejects from Grand Forks. ha-ha

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF that's how they do it, then yes a Region could win BOTH play-in games when they cross bracket the Regions. I like that, except for the travel.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard some Jamestown kids were being racist, is this going to help with this situation, or make it worse?
#woke

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was a senior in high school in 63-64. Top 4 grades in my school had an enrollment of 212. Dominant the class c schools with enrollment. Remember it well.
At first district playoff, the 4 teams playing for the top 4 spots ended up being the former class c schools. All the former B schools got sent to the lower bracket.

Shocker, by gosh it was for the first playoff to region and then state. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93