3 Class Bball system in ND?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
We cant call it A B and C either someone will get butt hurt. It better be AAA, AA, A lol.
Pretty soon it will be colors, because even AAA, AA, A will get some people butt hurt because they are less A’s.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is going to be a real issue for many of those teams forced into the middle class. Right now many of those teams stay within about 60 miles of there home school. They will now be traveling 2-3 hours one way several times throughout the season to play another team in there division. Sports are already a gigantic cost to schools, this will only compound the situation with a significant increase in travel & coaching costs. Add in that kids will need earlier dismissals to get to games further away, won't get home until midnight at times, and may still have actual school work still to do when they get home. If you think they do it on the bus, think again. Hell, I've tried to dig out my laptop and work in the car in the passenger seat on a long trip, it's about 1/10 as productive as sitting at a table or desk. Utimately there will be many more saturday games scheduled due to those travel issues. Also, we are now forcing more people out on the road during the winter months in ND when our weather is at its best!

This is also going to cause less interaction with the fan base and parents able to watch there own kids, as many will not be able to leave there jobs early enough to get to those away games. Fan and student attendance at games will definitely drop simply based on the travel being unrealistic for a 1 hour varsity BB game. and although minor, it will equate to less revenue in gate and concessions money, so a double wammy of higher costs and less revenue

This will additionally cause some of those co-ops to disband. Instead of a neighboring District welcoming a school district that is struggling for enrollment, or to put together a program, or have enough players to make a team; They may not find a dance partner as the co-op may force that partner school into the next division where they don't want to be. So what about those kids, now they have no program to be part of or one that struggled as it was.

It's really pretty asinine when most have ample competition within their local region. The multiplier idea is ridiculous and a direct shot at the private schools as it effectively doubled their enrollment. At the end of the day, no matter where you draw the line, there is going to be teams at the bottom and top of those enrollment lines. All we are doing here is shift those lines pandering to those vocal Districts in order to hand out more trophies, and yet listen to them sell it as a way to increase student participation in sports instead of regoconizing the bigger issues of those declining sports program enrollments. I have kids in high school and junior high sports as we speak and can tell you for a fact that club and travel sports are the reason, and both my kids participate heavily in those outside of the school season. alright, my rant is over on this subject, carry on..........
I think you are overthinking it. I think the competition will be better and move even. I think this will give schools that haven’t been relevant a change to finally compete.

Eight more teams per year will make the state tournament and one more chance to be a champion.

I really don’t see any downsides. I’m excited to see a three tier system!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn’t read the full 5 pages but those In support do realize that every non district kid enrolled in your school counts as 2 correct??? I get it that makes the private schools play up a level but what about south prairie for instance south of minot? The pure disdain for private schools on unreal. How many of you would still send your kids to public school if for instance the voters got to choose where there tax dollars went much like AZ….. you realize that push will be next if they keep doing this right?
Private schools will just have to recruit to compensate! I wouldn’t enroll my kids at Bishop Ryan even if it was free. Our Redeemers yeah I probably would. I do think Minot Public Schools is pretty good compared to most public schools in the country. Private schools will need to sack up and quit complaining!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck the last class should be 3 on 3 allowing smaller schools an option to form thier own teams the way 6 man football has helped small schools in our state. JMTC

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is going to be a real issue for many of those teams forced into the middle class. Right now many of those teams stay within about 60 miles of there home school. They will now be traveling 2-3 hours one way several times throughout the season to play another team in there division. Sports are already a gigantic cost to schools, this will only compound the situation with a significant increase in travel & coaching costs. Add in that kids will need earlier dismissals to get to games further away, won't get home until midnight at times, and may still have actual school work still to do when they get home. If you think they do it on the bus, think again. Hell, I've tried to dig out my laptop and work in the car in the passenger seat on a long trip, it's about 1/10 as productive as sitting at a table or desk. Utimately there will be many more saturday games scheduled due to those travel issues. Also, we are now forcing more people out on the road during the winter months in ND when our weather is at its best!

This is also going to cause less interaction with the fan base and parents able to watch there own kids, as many will not be able to leave there jobs early enough to get to those away games. Fan and student attendance at games will definitely drop simply based on the travel being unrealistic for a 1 hour varsity BB game. and although minor, it will equate to less revenue in gate and concessions money, so a double wammy of higher costs and less revenue

This will additionally cause some of those co-ops to disband. Instead of a neighboring District welcoming a school district that is struggling for enrollment, or to put together a program, or have enough players to make a team; They may not find a dance partner as the co-op may force that partner school into the next division where they don't want to be. So what about those kids, now they have no program to be part of or one that struggled as it was.

It's really pretty asinine when most have ample competition within their local region. The multiplier idea is ridiculous and a direct shot at the private schools as it effectively doubled their enrollment. At the end of the day, no matter where you draw the line, there is going to be teams at the bottom and top of those enrollment lines. All we are doing here is shift those lines pandering to those vocal Districts in order to hand out more trophies, and yet listen to them sell it as a way to increase student participation in sports instead of regoconizing the bigger issues of those declining sports program enrollments. I have kids in high school and junior high sports as we speak and can tell you for a fact that club and travel sports are the reason, and both my kids participate heavily in those outside of the school season. alright, my rant is over on this subject, carry on..........
Your concerns are legitimate but in looking at the new alignments (below), I don't see too terrible of a travel situation, not much worse than it has been. Basically a couple teams are bumped up out of each region and replaced with a couple new ones. There have been plenty of 1-2 hour bus trips in recent years (Linton has been in the same region as Carrington for several years as an example, or Bowman to Hazen).

1675946765256.png

1675946596169.png

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
My small 2 town team co op'd with another town that did not enough #'s out for girls sports this year but have said they'll end it if this passes. The 3 enrollments will put them in class A where they simply can't compete. This works out for the larger schools but can make it tricky for the smaller ones

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your concerns are legitimate but in looking at the new alignments (below), I don't see too terrible of a travel situation, not much worse than it has been. Basically a couple teams are bumped up out of each region and replaced with a couple new ones. There have been plenty of 1-2 hour bus trips in recent years (Linton has been in the same region as Carrington for several years as an example, or Bowman to Hazen).

1675946765256.png

1675946596169.png
Really??? Drive from Yates to Wattford, Dickenson, or Killdeer.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that is rough for them. Standing Rock should be in Class B District 5.
Under the new classification their enrollment is way too high for class B, they will never be moving down. But yeah that travel schedule is rough, I knew that would happen to some of the mid tier teams because they have no other medium sized schools around them.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the enrollment lines? I wonder if dropping the Selfridge Co-Op would help SR go B? So what all grades do they count, 9-12, or 7-12, or K-12?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the enrollment lines? I wonder if dropping the Selfridge Co-Op would help SR go B? So what all grades do they count, 9-12, or 7-12, or K-12?
Two year average of 9-12, looks like SR is about 225. Cutoff for B is 162.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see both sides of it from a competition standpoint and as I said before, no matter where the lines are drawn for classes, there's gonna be a few schools on the borderline either way that aren't going to like it, but travel time is a poor argument. Longer travel games are done on Friday's and Saturday's so school time isn't affected much. DL currently goes to Fargo 4-5x/year which is close to 3 hour bus ride, closest away games currently are minimum 1.5 hours and kids seem to get along fine. Years ago there weren't many weekend games, seems like lately we play a lot more on weekends to help make it easier on the kids for school work so that's your solution to travel. I didn't look at the regional breakdowns, but I doubt there is much more than a 90 mile drive for anyone in the state for a regional game, if there is, it'll be a Saturday game I'd imagine.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two year average of 9-12, looks like SR is about 225. Cutoff for B is 162.
Thanks!! IMO, there are two many B Schools. Either lower the 162 so A and B are more even or do it like SD and cut the A's off at a certain number of schools. Doesn't make sense to have 75 schools in the B's and 31 in the A's.

I'd be more in favor of 48 A Schools and putting 6 in each Region. The rest can go to B's

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
No doubt, there will be some schools that have to travel more than they are used to. On the other hand, Watford might not have to come to Bismarck/Mandan/Jamestown 6 times a year either...no matter how you split it there is going to be some bad travel in ND. It will also be interesting to see if A schools will still play many B schools. I would have to think that a school like Standing Rock would still try to schedule Flasher, New Salem, etc., that is if those schools agree to it and can fit it in. Otherwise, yes if SR had to play A schools exclusively the travel would be bad. To be fair, SR even under the old system had to go to places like Turtle Lake and Max, not exactly close.

1675956868626.png

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure what the AD's will do. Now SR plays a few SD schools. I've heard they're trying to get rid of those games, but I'm not sure why they would do that. The local rivalries are what makes sports fun! SR has huge rivalry with schools on the same Rez but in SD, or now B in ND. Big game next week with McLaughlin. Can't believe they'd ever drop the Solen game. But IDK, where is it written you have to play exclusively in your division?

Oh and another Question. How many in each Region go to State in the A's?

Walleyesforsale

I get class B's disdain for the private schools, but making them all class A would be dumb, and the real class A schools wouldn't want it. Why would Century want to beat Shiloh by 50 points or Minot High pound Our Redeemer's by 80? Come on.

3 classes is long overdue. With Fargo and Bismarck getting so big, there are some pretty big mismatches in class A even. Not to mention schools like Beulah playing Elgin on the B side. I don't think this will keep many co-ops from happening or reverse any but it at least gives the small schools a chance of something to play for.
You mean the same private schools who get kids who can't make it at the varsity level for Bismarck/Fargo/Minot squads and choose to go private...and then beat all small communities by 50? 3 class system is the way to go...it won't be perfect, but it equals out the playing field better than a 2 class system hands down. You can see why none of the private schools want that, they won't be the top dogs anymore.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mean the same private schools who get kids who can't make it at the varsity level for Bismarck/Fargo/Minot squads and choose to go private...and then beat all small communities by 50? 3 class system is the way to go...it won't be perfect, but it equals out the playing field better than a 2 class system hands down. You can see why none of the private schools want that, they won't be the top dogs anymore.
That's what I was saying, the Shilohs, etc. don't belong in B anymore, but having them in the big division with Century and Minot would be dumb as well. For what it's worth, I really haven't heard of the privates fighting 3 classes, they just fought the multiplier idea (I'm sure some of them want to remain B though).

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
doesn't look to terrible. definitely some outliers on the ends class A though. someone post the AA please. i assume 2 from each region will go in A. but, i am having trouble envisioning AA. 4 from east and west i suppose? so, 50% of the teams will make the tourney every year? i guess we only pulled 3 out of AA and put them in A from the looks of it. so, does that leave 10-12 in east & west in AA?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84