Handheld GPS

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magellan 710 with Navionics chip, I like this hand held which I may be biased because it is the only one I have owned. I would of gotten a Garmin but they don't have Navionics. I must have 500+ waypoints saved on my 710. What's great is you can actually upload all your way pts directly onto google earth as well as Magellan has there own web app Vantage Point.

- - - Updated - - -

magellan screenshot.jpg
Capture vantage pt..jpg
The top is google earth and the bottom is the Vantage Pt app screen shots are of Pelican Lake

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Magellan 710 looks good, however I do not plan on using it on the lake. Also it is a little too pricey for something I would only use a few times a year. Thanks for the response.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't some cell phones have satellite GPS capabilities apps, I know my apple phone has it as well as other folks I know use only their I phone while hunting in the mountains using gps apps.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild and Free, You are correct however I have a new flip phone. I passed on the I-phone. Call me stupid and old and you would be correct.:;:sorry

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The garmin map 64, base unit, is my choice, under 200$,locks on fast and stays locked on, even in vehicle, can use the micro sd cads, I like the onxhunt nd premium.
This is an easy to use gps with the features you need and your not spending extra for features you will probly never use and if you do, your probly gonna need the instructions handy to walk you through it.
I have had a few over the years and this is the cheapest but the one I like best!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
friend had the garmin montana 610t that kept us on track in the thick woods of idaho i am in the market. battery lasted all day and liked how it operated. 450 ish will get you into it

- - - Updated - - -

if you want look on rokslide lots of guys upgrade every year and some good deals to be had on gps

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 2 Garmin Rino 530HCx's and 1 Garmin Rino 650T radio/GPS units. They work extremely well, are easy to use and the FRS/GMRS/WX radio functions are a nice bonus.

Out here there are still a lot of areas that have no GPS service so maps, compass and the knowledge to use them is still necessary.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 Garmin Rino 530HCx's and 1 Garmin Rino 650T radio/GPS units. They work extremely well, are easy to use and the FRS/GMRS/WX radio functions are a nice bonus.

Out here there are still a lot of areas that have no GPS service so maps, compass and the knowledge to use them is still necessary.

Unless you are in a cave or under really really thick woods you should have gps worldwide

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a half dozen. Talk to the guy who makes NDTRAX, and he said I had the best there is already for reception. It's a Garmin, I think model 64SC. Mine is older so I don't have the chip capability like the new ones. I have to download topo from a Garmin disk. I have been told the small external antenna adds to the reception in trees and canyons. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/handheld/gpsmap-64sc/prod552362.html

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Unless you are in a cave or under really really thick woods you should have gps worldwide

I used to think the same thing, out here in the rural west there are a lot of places with no reception at all. We ran across a very lost guy while elk hunting, he had no GPS signal and no idea where he was.

A couple of things most people don't think about is no signal, a battery failure or dropping and breaking their GPS. It's hard to beat a map and compass as a back up they always work.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the garmin 64s with the birdseye, it basically lets you download satellite images of an area onto the base map, I use it with the trax map from kirschman so it is a little counter productive as I have to disable the Trax map in order to look at satellite images. But it is a nice backup to have downloaded in case you want to see if an oilwell or a stock pond or whatever is over a ridge etc. The battery life and signal have not been a problem when out, but I don't hunt forests or mountains.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to think the same thing, out here in the rural west there are a lot of places with no reception at all. We ran across a very lost guy while elk hunting, he had no GPS signal and no idea where he was.

A couple of things most people don't think about is no signal, a battery failure or dropping and breaking their GPS. It's hard to beat a map and compass as a back up they always work.

I agree with having a compass problem is most dont know or have never learned how they work. I would be willing to bet most dont know how to figure the offset of your map to correlate it to the compass. I am the guy who gets lost in a phone booth so i have dug pretty in depth to this navigation thing. So one of the guys i was with had a gps that did not lock on to the sats while the other 3 we had with did. There are some i have noticed and mostly with magelians older ones you have to go in if you make a big move from where it was initially calibrated at and set it up for the state you are in. Did that and boom reading 10 sats in no time. Having the sat coverage that there now is because of decommissioned military sats if one knows how to diagnose problems with the unit you run it should work unless blocked. I know sat phones will work any where any time and they run off the same sat that the gps does so its not really reception per say like a cell phone. I remember when we got the first gps units in guards and they would loose connection quite often but as more sats came on line it was way better and by the time i got out in 2002 it was used to set all firing for the mlrs system.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will be in the market for a gps this fall, just thought I'd see if there were any updated opinions/reviews on these. Not really a mountain guy; just like to have something to show public land in ND and to be able to mark fishing/hunting spots.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
got the in reach explorer plus and not only do i like the gps i like being able to have sat coms and sos function

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get the onx app for your phone. It will still work if don't have service and you can put your phone on airplane mode to save battery. They have surface ownership when you buy the service. They may still have a free trial for new subscriptions.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep that’s what I did in MT near white sulphur springs on our shoulder season hunt. Used my phone onx maps. Worked great even with no service. However for that to work you must save the maps/areas you plan to hunt in cache and then pull em up. It worked slick as you can overlay it with BMAs, private property boundaries etc. this wasn’t a backcountry in the sticks hunt but we would get 3 miles back and the onx map was more than adequate.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW I carry 2 dyno charges with me in my pak to alleviate any low battery issues if that is a concern.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the phone would work and probably save me a little money but figured if there's a GPS for ~$300 or so that I can use to mark trails, waypoints, etc and not have to worry about dropping my phone in a slough or in a minnow bucket while ice fishing, etc. I'd spend the money. Also wouldn't have to worry about phone dying all the time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55