Abuse

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use shotgun to actually hunt they need to be at least checked over, I have taken a lot of reeds a grass out of actions. If I go on a extended over night hunt I will clean my shotgun every night. If they are sitting in the gun rack they get wiped down every few months. My deer rifle I probably only shoot 3 bullets a year so I should be good running a patch through the barrel every few years. Had guy who bedded my 25/06 tell me if it is shooting good leave it alone unless you shoot a couple of hundred rounds.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The more experienced shooters I talk to and the more articles I read, the more I'm convinced that scrubbing a barrel is a waste. Now, if you have moving parts it's a different story. With that said, here are a lot of ARs sold on the premise that they need only be cleaned every 3-5,000 rounds. I tend to buy guns that are as durable as possible (heat/moisture/wear resistance), as low maintenance as possible, function most reliably, and longest lasting components. Pretty much hooked on Glocks, gas piston rifles, and nitrided/melonite/QPQ barrels and parts.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, it's IMPOSSIBLE to abuse your own stuff. You bought it, use it how you will. I've watched guys throw their guns in the back of their trucks, drop'em on the ground, and all manner of things I wouldn't do to my guns, but they're NOT mine. Now if you BORROW an item, then there is the possibility of abuse. I make sure to treat my borrowed stuff with kid gloves. My stuff gets what it gets.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will second Kurts remarks about damage cleaning. I will say it's different with different barrels. I don't know why but those Bartlein don't need to be cleaned often. It also depends on how much you shoot, the velocity of your loads, the grains of powder in each load etc. In my handguns Rugers lead up faster than Smith's which lead very little. Same with rifles. I switched barrels on my 308 for two reasons. Number one was that it was a 1/12 twist and would not stabilize 168 SMK subsonic. The other thing is although it had very little wear it had a very smooth bore, but built up copper fast. After cleaning it would not group until I fired a half dozen shots. So after cleaning it had to be shot before using for hunting.
The other thing mentioned is cleaning equipment. Bore guides are a must. I still see people run cleaning rods down the muzzle. Bad idea. Of course some people are happy with a one inch group. I' m guessing Kurt and I would agree to dump a rifle that grouped over a half inch. Our scoped rifles that is. It's hard to judge my open sighg rifles because I can't shoot them well enough to judge them.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another abuse is those people who stick their gun in the pickup barrel down against the floor. A floor they have tracked rocks and dirt into. You look at their muzzle and it dings all over. Then they tell you it shoots under an inch all day long. Hmmmm. I have some swamp land for sale..

What is the best way to carry rifles in a vehicle? I try not to put to barrel on the floor board usually get laid in the back seat, but if there are 4 of going out hunting the gun gets placed barrel down.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright I hear both sides of this pretty often. For the true gun gurus here, how often should you clean your rifles, or more specifically, chamber and barrel? I think lube and good cleaning is warranted pretty often for moving components.

When Accuracy falls off.

Moving parts out, cleaned, dried prior to re-insertion so as not to be getting stuff in the bore you don't intend to have in there.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the best way to carry rifles in a vehicle? I try not to put to barrel on the floor board usually get laid in the back seat, but if there are 4 of going out hunting the gun gets placed barrel down.

A strip of electrical tape over the muzzle helps fend off mud, dirt, rocks, rain, snow, etc. Shoot right through it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Accuracy falls off.

Moving parts out, cleaned, dried prior to re-insertion so as not to be getting stuff in the bore you don't intend to have in there.

- - - Updated - - -

A strip of electrical tape over the muzzle helps fend off mud, dirt, rocks, rain, snow, etc. Shoot right through it.

I learned it had to be blue tape on FBO so I have stuck with that.:D

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot sporting clays league once a week during the summer months with a 870. It gets cleaned about once per month. 50 rounds per night. Sometimes a double round per night. I do not clean it regularly by any means and it does not seem to have an effect on my accuracy. Its all in my head is what I am told.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Muzzle. Brake. What century are you guys from?

Do you hunt with muzzle loaders and flintlock scatterguns with trumpeted muzzles?

Blue tape... don't you know that blue stands out to deer?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see a problem with four people. I lay mine in the back seat just like you. I have had more people then left the guns cased in the pickup box. I guess if you want to keep them with you and have four guys it's more safe muzzle down. I think I would make a sleeve for the muzzle so it doesn't get a ding. Even a small dent on the edge of the crown will destroy accuracy. I think I would cut a finger from an old leather glove and use a rubber band to hold it in place over the muzzle. It should only take a second to pull off. My oldest son purchased something like that, but I don't know where he got it.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I can see a problem with four people. I lay mine in the back seat just like you. I have had more people then left the guns cased in the pickup box. I guess if you want to keep them with you and have four guys it's more safe muzzle down. I think I would make a sleeve for the muzzle so it doesn't get a ding. Even a small dent on the edge of the crown will destroy accuracy. I think I would cut a finger from an old leather glove and use a rubber band to hold it in place over the muzzle. It should only take a second to pull off. My oldest son purchased something like that, but I don't know where he got it.

If you have to carry them out of the case and in the cab, how about actions open and barrels up. It's hard to have a rifle go off with the action open and it protects the muzzle with it off the floor.

Good idea on the finger off an old glove I'll have to remember that.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tips guys, I have seen mini condom looking thinks for over the barrel but have also been Leary of it affecting accuracy, but I will give that a try the few people who have reccomended it, I will take there word for it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep a strip of E-tape over the muzzle along with an empty shotgun shell box on the floorboard. This works fine. I guess one could become more sophisticated with a film canister, etc.

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
I clean my weapons after every session... be it 3 rounds or 50.
I let the muzzle of the rifle rest on my shoe IF it's not in a case.
I soak the barrel in Kroil after every use, and never leave harsh chemicals in for long lengths of time.
I don't *usually* run long shot strings- heat kills.
When I run my weapons, I run them HARD-- but I treat them well at the end of the day... and NO Im not talking about *hot* reloads. I duplicate factory performance with the bullets of my choice. I don't play the BS loadshop game. Accuracy kills--- velocity don't.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
063c52c97338bf30d7fe6dde98f567e0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

marsoc0520_7.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the guy and the dog make me feel funny too - as in I want to cry that I don't have "it" like he does

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the barrel of my 308 got to smooth and copper on a smooth surface appears to me to stick faster than on a slightly rough surface. I think the bore got smooth from cleaning it every time I shot and using J B Bore Cleaner. It isn't supposed to polish a barrel, but I think it did. I also had to recrown a 223 Featherweight because a drop of copper solvent always clung to the end of the barrel and etched the crown. Now I use Wipe Out, and I have taken old barrels and left it in for a week to test it out. It doesn't appear to do any damage and I have put in new Wipe Out every week for a couple of months.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have to carry them out of the case and in the cab, how about actions open and barrels up. It's hard to have a rifle go off with the action open and it protects the muzzle with it off the floor.

Good idea on the finger off an old glove I'll have to remember that.

If I don't have a case with, my guns ride muzzles up, actions open.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1