AGM

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i got a holdover that has a AGM as primary starting batter. Trolling motors are normal ones. So most likely has been sitting for two years altough imo inside as it looked like it hadnt been moved.. Put the charger on the trolling motor batteries charged up right away green light, the AGM took for ever but finally it showed green. Dealership ran the motor supposedly before i took it I do not know if they did or not - the radio electronics all worked before i charged anything.

I plugged in the charger Sat night again the AGM takes for ever but finally shows green. I take it out sunday -- did the 2 hour burn on the engine - go back home plug in the charger and the AGM showing 20 or 30% on the bars (pro charging sytsm). It charged but took an hour to show green. It may be sucking energy from somewhere. Pro charging sys - i dont think its the charger. I will start swapping things around this week.

Before i do so thoughts?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
charge it and take it in to any place and have it tested for free, most places do it, interstate, walmart etc.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
charge it and take it in to any place and have it tested for free, most places do it, interstate, walmart etc.

A few weeks ago I took a battery into batteries plus in GF. Asked the guy if he could check warranty for me as I knew it was close to the warranty date and I had purchased it there. The guy snapped off saying (the very first words out of his mouth mind you, not hello, or how can I help) "I cant check it if its dead!" I'm like, "ya I know its dead. It wont take a charge. Hence me being here looking for a replacement." He screamed back "I cant check it if its dead!" Then proceeded to berate me about my charging habits on batteries saying "everybody thinks its a bad battery when it just needs to be charged!" yada yada yada. He calmed down a bit after I told him my charging habits on the 11 other batteries I have and how old they are. I left with a new battery.

Moral: Make sure your dead battery is charged before you go to batteries plus to get a new one.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Some battery chargers you have to manually set the battery type for each battery, that may be part of your problem. I know my AGM starting/electronics battery takes substantially longer to charge than my flooded trolling motor batteries do. Not sure if its because of the actual battery or because of how it charges.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A few weeks ago I took a battery into batteries plus in GF. Asked the guy if he could check warranty for me as I knew it was close to the warranty date and I had purchased it there. The guy snapped off saying (the very first words out of his mouth mind you, not hello, or how can I help) "I cant check it if its dead!" I'm like, "ya I know its dead. It wont take a charge. Hence me being here looking for a replacement." He screamed back "I cant check it if its dead!" Then proceeded to berate me about my charging habits on batteries saying "everybody thinks its a bad battery when it just needs to be charged!" yada yada yada. He calmed down a bit after I told him my charging habits on the 11 other batteries I have and how old they are. I left with a new battery.

Moral: Make sure your dead battery is charged before you go to batteries plus to get a new one.
Batteries plus in Minot is bad also….don’t recommend. Although the x2 batteries they sell are great there customer service is pretty bad.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 360
  • This month: 223
  • This month: 193
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 80