ANS CLEANING STATIONS in ND or not.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are zebra mussels in Minnesota, Red River (ND), Manitoba, Montana and South Dakota. So ANS stations should absolutely be set up. Maybe to late but something should be done. Especially along boarders and for out of state water craft. I would support a slight increase of our license but like mentioned earlier most of the funds should be collected through non-res licenses.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no way this is going to be a free service so what is the best way. For me I would use them and would prefer a pay as you go. Don't want to carry a bunch of quarters so would prefer a machine that accepts credit cards. If nothing else so many of our lakes in ND will have a lot of algae during the summer and it would be nice to have a convenient place to wash all that off.

The problem is the logistics. With about 300 lakes you're looking at at least 300 stations and that no where near covers the many lakes with multiple goat landings. I don't know the exact number but am I wrong in saying it would take between 50-100 just to cover the Missouri River system?

Perhaps education and severe (very severe) penalties for not following current laws would be just as effective. Difficult problem with no easy solution that guarantees results.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol, i didn't click on this thread because of the title and didn't want to know what you hooligans had going on...

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't need stations at all lakes. Most important is at state borders. I think each resident boat should have to be inspected once a year. You get a sticker. Each time you leave the state or load your watercraft in known ans waters you have to get inspected again. Also keep the current ans rules.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't need stations at all lakes. Most important is at state borders. I think each resident boat should have to be inspected once a year. You get a sticker. Each time you leave the state or load your watercraft in known ans waters you have to get inspected again. Also keep the current ans rules.

Exactly! Eastern border would need them @ Hwy 2, Hwy 200, I-94, Hwy 13. Southern border @ I-29, Hwy 1, Hwy 281, Hwy 83, and Hwy 85. Western Border Hwy 2, Hwy 200, I-94, Whatever Hwy comes in past Grenora, and someone else would have to say where they might need one S of I-94 on the W border because I don't know. These could be added on to and re-open some commercial truck weigh stations while they're at it. Some of the infrastructure would already be there for manning the posts. I know for certain Hwy 281 and 83 both have weigh stations as does 94 and 29.

As far as cleanup at individual bodies of water, Sak and the Mo/Oahe would be peppered on both sides. Devils would need a bunch. After that, maybe they get put in towns central to lots of the reservoirs and pothole lakes. Jamestown, Valley City, Steele, Ashley, Gackle, etc. Forgive me if I didn't name your favorite body of water or it's nearby town.

Last edited:

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As far as cleanup at individual bodies of water, Sak and the Mo/Oahe would be peppered on both sides. Devils would need a bunch. After that, maybe they get put in towns central to lots of the reservoirs and pothole lakes. Jamestown, Valley City, Steele, Ashley, Gackle, etc. Forgive me if I didn't name your favorite body of water or it's nearby town.[/QUOTE]

So basically what your saying is the most high traffic bodies of water in the state from both resident and non resident.... which makes sense cause if you compare it to a hooker your most likely goin to catch an std from one in Vegas more than catching something from one in Bismarck...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Velva_zv18 said:
So basically what your saying is the most high traffic bodies of water in the state from both resident and non resident.... which makes sense cause if you compare it to a hooker your most likely goin to catch an std from one in Vegas more than catching something from one in Bismarck...

I'm not steeped in hooker knowhow nor familiar the spread of STD's, but, I guess in terms of comparing boats and hookers regarding prevention of spreading anything, the important part is probably a knowledgeable inspection and seal of approval from the appropriate professional before anything is allowed to enter.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vote is NO! Id be ok with requiring all out of state fishermen to rent boats locally tho instead of being allowed to bring their own into the state...

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nature does transport stuff to other bodies of water but human actions are way worse. Not doing anything because something might be spread because of birds is not a good excuse for not doing anything.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nature does transport stuff to other bodies of water but human actions are way worse. Not doing anything because something might be spread because of birds is not a good excuse for not doing anything.
It's simply more feel good government over reach. It'll do nothing to prevent it from spreading, that ship has sailed. Pun intended.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
reel and hose at the cleaning station i use --- i just grab the hose and wash down the boat. --- if they had two - thats all it would take. Its the lakes with contamination that need the boat rinse.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
reel and hose at the cleaning station i use --- i just grab the hose and wash down the boat. --- if they had two - thats all it would take. Its the lakes with contamination that need the boat rinse.

a simple wash down with water isn't going to do a damn thing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a simple wash down with water isn't going to do a damn thing.

der... it’s what people THINK they are doing that matters now

have you not paid attention to how sexuality and stuff works now?

geez, get on board old timer, the train’s leaving the station

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
look at that rat bastard ans transporter

canvasback_zebra_mussles.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny how people are all anti big goverment and crap until they think they will benefit from something, then they sign right up! HIPPOCRYTES :;:exactly

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
put them at the 6 biggest border crossings an maybe one in the middle and one each at d.l. and sak. If you come in to the state its mandatory!!!! with sticker or Fine. Simple law i would support.

sdietrich

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being a former North Dakota resident and having lived in two states (Kansas and now Minnesota) with zebra mussels I can tell you that no matter what NDGF actions they would try now to stop them would be in vain. I fish at least 5 times a year all over the North Dakota while visiting family. There are two places that I would say, with about 90% certainty already have zebra mussels and that is DL and the lakes down by Gackle and Lehr. We all know what lakes we are talking about down there. Every time I go to any of those lakes the parking lots are full of WI, MN, SD and yes ND plates. Which means they are already being transported all over the state by residents and non residents alike. In Kansas they had a huge push for ANS education but year by year and one by one the lakes all became infected... and guess what... it wasn't out of state fishermen who brought it back... it was residents who would tow their boats to out of state fishing locations and brought it back with them. Once it is in one lake it moves fast but takes years to discover. They had required washing of boats as they left lakes that were infected using a bleach type of wash and they would inspect trailers. Those actions basically had no effect.

If anyone has fished here in MN you know how aggressive DNR is regarding ANS control. Every lake you go to you have the weed cops. Recording boats coming and going and an interview, just short of a body cavity search of previous lakes fished, when you fished and when/where you plan to fish next. Also they will not let you launch or leave with any type of weeds on your trailer. I have a cousin who came out to MN from ND to fish and had to turn around with his boat in high broom grass and it was wedged between the bunk and the trailer and they would not let him launch until it was removed. Even with these precautions lakes here are falling one by one.

Right now any increase in fees should go toward research in controlling / destroying the ANS along with education to delay the spread. Question is once discovered will the residents willingly clean their boat/trailer, rinse out their livewells/hulls, and park their boat for at least a week to dry out so contamination of additional lakes will not happen? Some of us who care already do however the fact is the majority will not and the viscous cycle will continue.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33