Any drone flyers ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to buy my first drone with a camera and controls with a monitor, I am amazed how many models there are to choose from and how competitive the market is. Since I'll probably have a wreck or three before I master the controls I'd like to go with a durable cheap one first and upgrade as I get better at the controls. I'd like to get something that operates similar to the more expensive ones, I see all sorts of them under $ 150 and would like to try stay under or close to that price range till I learn but willing to spend more or less depending what is user friendly. I I'd like to go with a bigger frame just because it would be easier to see and hopefully more user friendly to fly. Is it hard for an old dog to learn this new trick ? My 4 year old grand son flies a mini drone in their house pretty good, I tried it and it was harder than it looked.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've only flown the mini drones a little bit. I've heard if you can fly those decently the bigger drones are a piece of cake. Might be worth picking up something cheap to get the hang of flying before you drop a grand on one and wreck it.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smaller means more difficult to fly. If you go with the $150 setup, be prepared to have a $150 drone. My point is, the more you spend, the more you'll enjoy flying/using it. Think about a POS boat, versus something solid and trustworthy.

I do understand what you're saying. If it's going to crash and go in the garbage, $150 is a lot more agreeable. Just know that a more expensive one is going to fly a LOT better.

They are coming down in price rapidly. A friend uses one for his photography and videography business, and what was a thousand dollar drone two years ago, is now worth 1/3. And what's now cutting edge is $1000, but works 5 times better than 2 years ago.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know it's a little out of your current price range, but I'd check out the DJI Phantom 3. Shop around online and they can be had for under $400 during a good sale. My experience is limited to this drone, but it was really easy to fly. This one has a pretty decent camera, and the range is good (something like 1 - 2 miles depending on terrain).

As was mentioned above, you get what you pay for with these things. It's like comparing the old wind up cameras to a DSLR.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should probably start off with a cheap disposable to half ways get a feel of things while watching for a sale on a good one that components are easy to come by. The way the market is flooded with them that probably wont be too long of a wait. It would be nice to laugh at my first major wreck.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep an eye on Newegg they sell the Phantom 3's refurbished on sale often for pretty cheap. From what i've read most people get a brand new drone when they buy the refurbished ones. One of my friends has the Mavic Pro and let me fly it and it was pretty simple to fly but I was kind of nervous flying a $1000 dollar drone 3-4 miles away and out of sight. If I had the funds I would definitely grab a Mavic Pro those things fold up real nice and compact so you could pretty much just throw it in a backpack and take it anywhere.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started out with a syma 86 I think is the model its pretty comparable to the dji but I think ki only paid 60 bucks for it has camera an all. Then I bought the dji phantom 3 standard nice drone but nothing like they have now but still pretty sweet. PM me If you want may be able to be talked into selling it.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you shoot a drone down I think the guys in the black suits and black suv's will be showing up, they are called the Feds

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Drone's over my house=target practice and I don't care who owns it SSS.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an electric scale model Piper Cub. One day I flew out over the reservoir and was following behind (300 yards) some pelicans. As I flew over shore the neighbor kid ripped loose with his 12 gauge. I wondered if he was shooting at the pelicans. So I gave it another 200 feet in elevation and flew over him again. Boooooom. So I gave it another 200 feet and flew over him four more times. Enough fun I had to fly home because I was running out lf juice.

Davey I got a little over my skill level with a 3D flyer. It was a brushless electric and they have oomph. It would do 80mph straight up. As a matter of fact the 3D will stand on their tail in the air and hold position until you hit the throttle. I would tease the neighbors dog and fly down the road slow. He would just get to it and I would pull up. The problem with the stunt planes like mine it looked the same upside down as right side up. I headed east down the road and instead of circling I just did an outside loop and came down the road upside down. Out from behind a bush comes the dog and this old brain forgot he was upside down. full throttle and back on the stick. Right into the pavement. I wonder if dogs laugh?

I'm thinking about a drone or a biplane. Something nice and slow maybe. Saaaaaay could you mount a small 22 semi-auto handgun under a drone?

Edit: on Drudge today: http://thehill.com/policy/transport...down-federal-registration-rule-for-toy-drones

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It doesn't matter if it's over your house, the GPS cords will put it at your house and the guys in the black suits will show up at your place, so SSS will do no good.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
they probably won't be showing up. three cases already found in favor of the shooter due to invasion of privacy, etc. Feds are going to regulate the shit out of them real soon.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info and the tips , Syma seems to have decent ratings I was having a hard time to decide and I got to thinking about my two oldest grandsons so I ordered two of them, Now we can all have fun. I picked up Syma x5c-1 and a X5uW They were under $ 50 each with extra batteries . I can see where they could be a problem in populates areas but pretty sure these won't leave the farm.

Technology has came a long ways .

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard from a friend that there maybe a drone class coming up in January sometime out at the local college in Devils Lake. I guess it will run for 3 nights. Mon, Tue, and wed. I can keep the masses notified when I know more but this class thing sparks my interest as I have zero experience. Rumor has it, participants will be able to use the drones provided for the class use.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Mavic Pro. Nice little machine. Takes good photos, easy to fly really. Can fly it out of sight and bring back with gps. I've tried cheap helicopters and drones. They are easy to wreck and hard to fly. They don't do well in any wind. I've put them in trees. I don't think flying the cheap ones are going to get you ready for a more expensive one; they are two very different beasts.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a buddy who got one of the fancy DJI's this summer, looks cool and the camera takes amazing photos and video. watched him smoke a tree with it at full speed too and it just broke a propeller, I was quite shocked. He had the safety functions turned off in sport mode and it was hauling ass, it'll go like 40mph or something. I am of the frame of mind buy once cry once, plus DJI has some sort of a warranty program and will cover pretty much anything other than dropping it in the lake,

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 212
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66