Anyone grow honeyberries?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you after tart berries for processing or sweeter berries for fresh eating?

I'd say some of each. Although I was only going to plant a few and I'd probably need more than that for processing. Will probably start out with 2 or 3 and then go from there. Thanks for the info!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://youtu.be/j5UTn0ZdYo0
if u want 2 I'd get a honey bee and aurora. if 3 add another Aurora or indigo gem. they are all early and good imo. one thing most people don't realize about haskap is they turn blue long b4 they are ripe, and the birds will start eating them right when they turn blue, so netting bushes is absolutely necessary. it takes several more weeks after they turn blue before they are good to eat. they will come off easily when they r ripe and you can shake them off the plant to harvest, into a sheet or whatever.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honeyberries are damn good. My in-laws have some plants that produce well. No idea what variety. Mix them in with your pancake batter - beats a blueberry or chocolate chip pancake any day.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not sure what I’d do if I woke up one morning to goats randomly in my yard. Probably wouldn’t be mad, just amazed

First time = not mad, almost amused

Second - fourth times = amusement wanes to fully not amused anymore.

5th-6th times = pissed, caught a couple of them and tied them up.

7th time(?) = super pissed, told owner since you are what you eat, that the titty sprinkling goats would look just like a deer when hanging nekkid in my shop and I would be eating berries soon. Dog got the hint and started chewing on goat's horn. I had to tell him that it was a little premature.

Goats are now gone, I think. Really hoping the raspberries and honeyberries recover this year. I got nothing to speak of from either the last two years.

- - - Updated - - -

You should have buttonhooked them.

Not sure I really want to know what "buttonhooked" means. :;:smokin

Last edited:

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
if u want 2 I'd get a honey bee and aurora. if 3 add another Aurora or indigo gem. they are all early and good imo. one thing most people don't realize about haskap is they turn blue long b4 they are ripe, and the birds will start eating them right when they turn blue, so netting bushes is absolutely necessary. it takes several more weeks after they turn blue before they are good to eat. they will come off easily when they r ripe and you can shake them off the plant to harvest, into a sheet or whatever.

K. I'll plan on that.

Grow any blackberries? Sounds like we're a bit too far north for them but do you know of a variety that will do ok here?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First time = not mad, almost amused

Second - fourth times = amusement wanes to fully not amused anymore.

5th-6th times = pissed, caught a couple of them and tied them up.

7th time(?) = super pissed, told owner since you are what you eat, that the titty sprinkling goats would look just like a deer when hanging nekkid in my shop and I would be eating berries soon. Dog got the hint and started chewing on goat's horn. I had to tell him that it was a little premature.

Goats are now gone, I think. Really hoping the raspberries and honeyberries recover this year. I got nothing to speak of from either the last two years.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure I really want to know what "buttonhooked" means. :;:smokin
Think you use the butt-out tool in hunter language.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
K. I'll plan on that.

Grow any blackberries? Sounds like we're a bit too far north for them but do you know of a variety that will do ok here?

Your gonna need a hoop house or greenhouse for those mate... There are some varieties that might survive here, but they arent what Id consider high quality, and a bad winter will likely kill even those.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your gonna need a hoop house or greenhouse for those mate... There are some varieties that might survive here, but they arent what Id consider high quality, and a bad winter will likely kill even those.

K thanks. Will scrap that idea then.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
any of you guys ever tried to grow honey berries from live stakes? I don't see much out there about doing it but I was able to find a video the other night of a guy that did it with some stakes that were about a pencil width thick. He was able to get some of the stakes to form roots, but not all of them did. I'm thinking about trying it with some stakes from the two bushes that I have now.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id say its not impossible, Ive propagated HB from softwood, hardwood and semi-hardwood. Its not incredibly hard to do. Softwood is probably the easiest. For hardwood cuttings Id suggest using a inert medium like pro-mix without nutrients, moist but not wet, some rooting hormone and a humidity tent/cover until roots start to form. Bottom heat is also helpful if you have a way to provide some, not over 75f tho. Something that is easier is layering, you are pretty much guaranteed success doing it that way, its more forgiving, etc.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Somebody a while out had something on Grapes, I see Walmart has them for sale, will they grow in ND?

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the best place to get Honeyberry plants, or Juneberry plants?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somebody a while out had something on Grapes, I see Walmart has them for sale, will they grow in ND?

- - - Updated - - -

Juneberry plants can be had from the Towner Nursery for about $1 each... it may take a few years before they produce anything though as they are only about a foot tall or so.

I just ordered 50 juneberry, 50 chokecherry, 50 scotch pine, 50 ponderosa pine, and 50 amur maples from the towner nursery and my total bill was only $162. They will for the most part all be bare root.
When ordering from the Towner Nursery I believe you have to order a minimum of 50. We are going to be planting tree rows for our new property so this isn't a big issue as we need lots of trees.

One other suggestion I would make is call your county soil conservation district. They will usually be able to get most varieties of trees that one might want and they will let a guy order in smaller quantities as well.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some honeyberries in pots to grow for the summer...
57564656_2445180365532008_8243036813715832832_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Depends how many you need. I will likely have some extra honeyberry plants this fall. Best time to plant them is after they go dormant in the fall typically. Rabbits will nibble on them tho so you want to protect them in the winter till they are established.

I also have a pretty good variety of grapes, valiant, swenson red, sommerset, marquette, la crescent, itaska, swenson white, reliance and a few others...

Heres a rooted black currant cutting, potted a bunch up this last weekend.
57358162_2445176612199050_2172534942402084864_o.jpg

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nutritionist he is NOT!! Just look at the size of that triple chin on Shaniqua and looking at her hair he needs a side job! ;:;rofl

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Juneberry plants can be had from the Towner Nursery for about $1 each... it may take a few years before they produce anything though as they are only about a foot tall or so.

I just ordered 50 juneberry, 50 chokecherry, 50 scotch pine, 50 ponderosa pine, and 50 amur maples from the towner nursery and my total bill was only $162. They will for the most part all be bare root.
When ordering from the Towner Nursery I believe you have to order a minimum of 50. We are going to be planting tree rows for our new property so this isn't a big issue as we need lots of trees.

One other suggestion I would make is call your county soil conservation district. They will usually be able to get most varieties of trees that one might want and they will let a guy order in smaller quantities as well.

Amur maple has invasive traits that enable it to spread aggressively. This tree is under observation and may be listed on official invasive species lists in the near future. Review of risks should be undertaken before selecting this tree for planting sites. One tree can produce more than 5,000 two-winged seeds that are widely spread by wind. In open woods, Amur maple displaces native shrubs and understory trees. In prairies and open fields, it can shade out native species of plants, disrupting the ecosystems that plants and animals depend on.

- - - Updated - - -

Ecological Threat:

• It displaces native shrubs and understory trees in open woods, and shades out native grasses and herbaceous plants in savanna habitat.
  • A prolific seed producer, Amur maple is becoming invasive in the northern U.S. Extensive wild populations have been found in Illinois and Missouri. It resprouts easily from the cut stump.
  • Amur maple is a native of central and northern China, Manchuria and Japan, it was introduced to North America in the 1860s. It is still being frequently sold commercially as an ornamental, and for wildlife and shelterbelt plantings.
  • Amur maple is a MDA Specially Regulated Plant in Minnesota. Sellers must affix a label that advises buyers to only plant Amur maple and its cultivars in landscapes where the seedlings will be controlled by mowing and other means. Amur maple should be planted at least 100 yards from natural areas.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 73