APPLES, APPLES and more APPLES

Freedom

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Apples were feast or famine from what I've heard this year. Glad to see you had a great harvest

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spring ice storm did in both my apple trees. We bought off a truck that comes into fargo from around the great lakes. Fresh picked and good apples the size of softballs. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring ice storm did in both my apple trees. We bought off a truck that comes into fargo from around the great lakes. Fresh picked and good apples the size of softballs. LB
How does one get on the information list for schedule etc.?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
about half the blossoms on my trees froze this year, maybe more like 2/3, I did get a few apples tho, mostly on the south side of my trees. My first year getting ambrosia apples, they are good, very sweet, only got about 6 on that graft though.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
1000005728.jpg

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
We only had 1 apple on our tree this year, usually have hundreds. Our tree is a Honeycrisp. I have heard this is normal in our neighborhood.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
We only had 1 apple on our tree this year, usually have hundreds. Our tree is a Honeycrisp. I have heard this is normal in our neighborhood.
a lot of biennial production can be avoided by providing proper nutrition to the trees and also fruit thinning when they do produce. Too much fruit stresses the tree and then it will take the next year off. Ideally fruit should be thinned to 1 fruit / foot of branch, no doubles or triples. Im not great about doing that, but I do some thinning, often kinda late to prevent branches from breaking under the load.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
a lot of biennial production can be avoided by providing proper nutrition to the trees and also fruit thinning when they do produce. Too much fruit stresses the tree and then it will take the next year off. Ideally fruit should be thinned to 1 fruit / foot of branch, no doubles or triples. Im not great about doing that, but I do some thinning, often kinda late to prevent branches from breaking under the load.
That sounds like good advice. The branches do seemed stressed with weight some years.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My trees where ok but smaller for all rain we had earlier just wierd year gardens and apples. Hit miss all over.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted a honey crisp and sweet sixteen this year. Hopefully I will have lots of apples in the future.
if you can, keep competition down below the trees until they are well established. Wood chips work good for this, or landscape fabric.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does one get on the information list for schedule etc.?
They will be in Fargo on the 27th of October at Scheel Home and Hardware parking lot. They will have Honey Crisp and Ever Crisp apples there. 70 $ for a BU at 40 to44 #. You can get smaller amounts. Great people to work with. Guy that runs it lives in North Fargo. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26