Auto accidents caused by Deer

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a farm animal is loose on a public road and collides with your vehicle I bet you would be the first one to go after the owner for damages! Where is the logic there?
Domesticated animal, owners fault.
Wild animal, your fault.
That depends on where you are. Some states have "Open Range Laws". The short version of that is if you hit a cow, horse, mule, sheep, pig, etc, etc, etc in an area designated "Open Range", get out your wallet, you're 100% on the hook for the value of the critter as well as your deductible.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read some dumb shit on the internet and it’s hard to beat but this has done it. Get the fuck out of here with this none sense. With out management we wouldn’t have anything to hunt.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've driven ~ 1.8 Million miles mostly for work over the last 24 years with jobs traveling ND, SD, MN, as well as MT, IA, NE, WY at different times also. I've hit 1 deer in all those miles and had there been another 6-8" worth of shoulder I'd have missed him. Ironically I wasn't traveling for work, but, headed W to MT on Hwy 2 for a deer hunt.

As to actually bonking (or trying not to bonk) an animal with a vehicle:

Most often it's not the deer you can see, it's the one following it that's a problem. When you see one, do what you need to do to safely avoid it if you can, but, also start looking for the one that's following.

High Beams, use them, pay attention to other drivers so you don't blind them, but, that multiple flashing they're giving you is probably a warning that there's something to pay attention to ahead. Using those high beams and paying attention to other drivers so as not to blind them will also keep your attention focused on the road and ditches.

Dim your interior lights as low as they'll go. It'll greatly improve your night vision.

Put your phone down and leave it down.

Take your earbuds out and never put them in behind the wheel again. You'll never hear anything your vehicle is telling you, you lose spatial awareness, and it's illegal.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put the burden on any entity and watch the high fences start popping up along every road way.

I work for a delivery company and if I hit a dog for instance it's a accident and I can be fired. Deer on the other hand were told don't swerve. No fault or foul if we take one out.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a farm animal is loose on a public road and collides with your vehicle I bet you would be the first one to go after the owner for damages! Where is the logic there?
You're comparing personal property animals that are required by law to fenced, to WILD ANIMALS. SMFH!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has actually happened to me. I was a passenger. I should have sued for the egg on my skull after banging my head off the windshield. My brother got a check for totalling his truck.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're so worried about who's going to pay for your f****** piss poor driving get full coverage insurance and let the insurance companies f****** fight your battles. This thread's going nowhere with an entitled Wally world running the show.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In open range country the cow has complete freedom to go wherever on your dollar. If you hit, you pay for all including the beef. db

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
In open range country the cow has complete freedom to go wherever on your dollar. If you hit, you pay for all including the beef. db
True, but does this apply anywhere in ND?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i believe out west there is open range not sure if public land, federal land, parks, ect.. db

Maybe not, but i know that there are still squatters right and right to brand calves one finds and claim as your own on open range in North Dakota. Had a friend who had a small patch of land that was fenced off and did let a neighbor for a few years use that patch for pasture. Neighbor then claim squatter rights and it did cost friend $20,000 in lawyer fees to get the land back into his ownership.

Last edited:

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of your over by manderee on the buffalo project road and hit a horse it's a 250000 dollar fine and they are open range

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
I know of your over by manderee on the buffalo project road and hit a horse it's a 250000 dollar fine and they are open range
Sounds like another government project. Wait until they start to fine people for hitting one of their deers!
That depends on where you are. Some states have "Open Range Laws". The short version of that is if you hit a cow, horse, mule, sheep, pig, etc, etc, etc in an area designated "Open Range", get out your wallet, you're 100% on the hook for the value of the critter as well as your deductible.
Maybe you should do some research before you spew bullshit!
No livestock may be permitted to run at large. Any owner or possessor of livestock who willfully permits the livestock to run at large through failure to maintain a lawful fence as provided in section 47-26-01, as provided in section 36-11-07, is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

North Dakota Century Code t36c11

1700460658351.jpeg
North Dakota Legislative Branch (.gov)
https://www.ndlegis.gov › cencode

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like another government project. Wait until they start to fine people for hitting one of their deers!

Maybe you should do some research before you spew bullshit!
No livestock may be permitted to run at large. Any owner or possessor of livestock who willfully permits the livestock to run at large through failure to maintain a lawful fence as provided in section 47-26-01, as provided in section 36-11-07, is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

North Dakota Century Code t36c11

1700460658351.jpeg
North Dakota Legislative Branch (.gov)
https://www.ndlegis.gov › cencode
You might need to get in the country some more. Big signs that say live stock at large. It’s called open country as sdmf said but you probably don’t see that much in moms basement.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might need to get in the country some more. Big signs that say live stock at large. It’s called open country as sdmf said but you probably don’t see that much in moms basement.
I'm not sure he understands that DIFFERENT states have DIFFERENT LAWS. He states ND code when the previous poster said "Some states", then calls is BS. SMFH!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this an ND state HWY? OR, Is it a Tribal Road?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never hit a deer. I tried one time, but he was moving a little too fast.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88