Better stock up

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
On minnows...https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/fargo/live-bait-shortage-may-impact-more-then-just-fishermen

FARGO — North Dakota is in the middle of another statewide shortage. It's not eggs or toilet paper. This time it is minnows.

Minnow tanks at local bait shops are currently empty.

"You can see what we have, nothing. Nice clean water" said Gary Gould, owner of Fargo Bait and Tackle.

For the first time in 45 years, the tanks at Gould's tackle shop are completely empty. The harsh winter has taken a beating on one of the main resources that keep businesses like his running.

"We're into March and it sounds like it's going to be a whole another month of snow cover. There is no sunlight. When the plants die, everything dies in the pond," he said.

The lack of minnows is not just a Fargo problem. According to Gould, live minnows are becoming rare across the eastern part of North Dakota.

"I think from Devils Lake all the way down to South Dakota, there is not a minnow, I'm guessing," Gould said. "It's got to be a statewide thing; the snow is here."

Finding fewer and fewer minnows does not seem like it would cause that many problems, but a live bait shortage impacts more than just anglers.

"It brings a lot of revenue to the state. Motel, hotel, restaurants, sales tax, gas tax. If there is no bait, it's going to hurt everybody," Gould said. "You talk to them people in them little towns, they'll tell you how it hurts them."

The tanks usually hold more than 1,000 minnows at a time. News of the bait shortage has circled around the fishing world, causing high demand with severely limited supply.

"It's like a sugar shortage," Gould said. "Everybody buys 20 pounds that would normally buy 5. So that's what happens, and then they have to try to keep them alive."

Many of those minnows freeze and go to waste, he said. In the meantime, Gould said it is best for anglers to get creative.

"They just got to change the fishing up a little bit. You're maybe not going to key so much on the walleye as you are going to on the perch, crappie, sunnies and pike," he said.

Gould said there may be a shortage for at last three years, because two age-classes of minnows have likely been lost this winter. He is hoping wholesalers can harvest in deeper water with help from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great.....now the price of Gulp will just keep getting higher.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I trap my own, and have to drive 50 miles one way to buy em anyway.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is nothing new bait dealers deal with this every year, and especially during years with heavy snowfall. Same thing happens in the late summer when leach season dies down and only thing you can get is little nightcrawlers and small minnows. Used to be better before we had to deal with aquatic nuances species when you could buy bait from Minnesota and bring it here now you can't legally.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
On minnows...https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/fargo/live-bait-shortage-may-impact-more-then-just-fishermen

FARGO — North Dakota is in the middle of another statewide shortage. It's not eggs or toilet paper. This time it is minnows.

Minnow tanks at local bait shops are currently empty.

"You can see what we have, nothing. Nice clean water" said Gary Gould, owner of Fargo Bait and Tackle.

For the first time in 45 years, the tanks at Gould's tackle shop are completely empty. The harsh winter has taken a beating on one of the main resources that keep businesses like his running.

"We're into March and it sounds like it's going to be a whole another month of snow cover. There is no sunlight. When the plants die, everything dies in the pond," he said.

The lack of minnows is not just a Fargo problem. According to Gould, live minnows are becoming rare across the eastern part of North Dakota.

"I think from Devils Lake all the way down to South Dakota, there is not a minnow, I'm guessing," Gould said. "It's got to be a statewide thing; the snow is here."

Finding fewer and fewer minnows does not seem like it would cause that many problems, but a live bait shortage impacts more than just anglers.

"It brings a lot of revenue to the state. Motel, hotel, restaurants, sales tax, gas tax. If there is no bait, it's going to hurt everybody," Gould said. "You talk to them people in them little towns, they'll tell you how it hurts them."

The tanks usually hold more than 1,000 minnows at a time. News of the bait shortage has circled around the fishing world, causing high demand with severely limited supply.

"It's like a sugar shortage," Gould said. "Everybody buys 20 pounds that would normally buy 5. So that's what happens, and then they have to try to keep them alive."

Many of those minnows freeze and go to waste, he said. In the meantime, Gould said it is best for anglers to get creative.

"They just got to change the fishing up a little bit. You're maybe not going to key so much on the walleye as you are going to on the perch, crappie, sunnies and pike," he said.

Gould said there may be a shortage for at last three years, because two age-classes of minnows have likely been lost this winter. He is hoping wholesalers can harvest in deeper water with help from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.
NDGF could just allow bait vendors to buy minnows from farms down south. WY already requires those certified minnows in their statewide use minnows. I hope we would have to deal with a permit like that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, hope my pond hasn't winter-killed.

I'm expecting the worst. I drove past some ponds today and the aroma of rotten egg smell was strong. We got a lot of heavy snow so I suppose it pushed the ice down and made stinky slush.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the upside, 8-9 yrs from now the perch and crappie class should be exceptional. Less pressure on the egg-laden females AND all the snow should produce a rise in water levels allowing eggs to be laid up in good freshly flooded brood cover.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the upside, 8-9 yrs from now the perch and crappie class should be exceptional. Less pressure on the egg-laden females AND all the snow should produce a rise in water levels allowing eggs to be laid up in good freshly flooded brood cover.
Retirement heaven? 🥰

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any perch or crappies come out of this alive, I'd go with your theory.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldn't take that long for perch (hopefully), I think they say 4-5 years for keeper size. Assuming we keep enough water and don't have another catastrophic winter like this...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as we get relatively descent spring temps, this year could be a big spawn year for almost every type of fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74