Bird Flu

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must have saw 100-150 sick and dead ones yesterday in 2 hours. Theyre just everywhere and just snow geese, didnt witness another specie affected but that's apples to oranges numbers-wise.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few dead birds at my place. I see a Canada Goose died overnight and is floating in the pond. Yesterday morning I also found my rooster dead, for no apparent reason. There have also been some smaller birds laying around, but I tend to have so many birds out here anyway that it's normal to find a few recent victims of something.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few dead birds at my place. I see a Canada Goose died overnight and is floating in the pond. Yesterday morning I also found my rooster dead, for no apparent reason. There have also been some smaller birds laying around, but I tend to have so many birds out here anyway that it's normal to find a few recent victims of something.

ANY fish in the pond? Not going to post any 8th grade health class jokes about vaccines. Viral "vaccines" turn the immune system from a shotgun to a rifle which is also why a flu "vaccine" is also bullshit for profit.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any one is interested this guy has alot of info on it. It seems this has been known and watched for some time and its nothing that is world is done stuff yet. Just dont live with your bird and you should be pretty safe.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM there ya go again making valid points....but that's what gray beards do...it's the wisdom.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
the above video seems to suggest the more virulent/pathogenic strains come from mutations that occur in the confines of large close contact farms. he doesn't talk about it. but, maybe that's why they don't like to let it runs its course in those places? spit balling.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the above video seems to suggest the more virulent/pathogenic strains come from mutations that occur in the confines of large close contact farms. he doesn't talk about it. but, maybe that's why they don't like to let it runs its course in those places? spit balling.

Thats also what i thought. Its seems they worry about it mutating to some thing even worse if its let to run its course. I will say i know nothing other than my facebook virology classes the last few years

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the problem here is that it's a human health hazard. Is it common for the avian flu to infect humans? No, not really. Have people contracted it and died from it? Yes, and probably often enough to where if your position in life is to help prevent epidemics/pandemics in people that you advocate wiping it out in domesticated flocks. It's an awful lot easier to wipe out a domestic flock of ??????? than it is to stop it once the mutation is running through the human population.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the problem here is that it's a human health hazard. Is it common for the avian flu to infect humans? No, not really. Have people contracted it and died from it? Yes, and probably often enough to where if your position in life is to help prevent epidemics/pandemics in people that you advocate wiping it out in domesticated flocks. It's an awful lot easier to wipe out a domestic flock of ??????? than it is to stop it once the mutation is running through the human population.

if you listen to the pod cast about the only way you catch it is living with the birds. I agree that leaving it un checked could change that and it would be bad. People who have caught this strain of AI have a 40% survival rate.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
There seems to be a trend in today's society to create the worst possible scenario of what COULD happen, be terrified of what COULD happen, and then let this FEAR of what COULD happen dictate a course of action. The Yellowstone cauldron COULD blow up next week, should we evacuate Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, South Dakota, and western ND because it COULD happen?? Fear is not a good state of mind to be in when making decisions for the future. Well, if the concern/fear is a mutated virus due to poultry confinement, WHY are free range flocks being destroyed?? They are as confined as wild birds. If confinement is the concern, why are the govt. folks recommending poultry flocks to stay indoors to avoid wild birds? Wouldn't that be increasing this confinement pressure mutation possibility that's scaring everyone?? This doesn't make any sense to me. This problem was last seen in 2015 or so and will continue to affect domestic poultry into the future as the reservoir of virus is wild birds of all types and can't be controlled. The logical course of action to me would be to breed resistant poultry strains just like cattlemen breed for pink eye resistance, parasite resistance, as well as other conditions. Letting the flu take it's course is the fastest way to identify resistant genetics. From there you can build your resistant flocks. Poultry are FAST breeders with very short generation times. It might not take very long to put this bird flu deal to rest with resistant poultry and thereby saving more of the meat and egg supplies so we shlubs at the grocery store don't have to sell our first born to buy breakfast. Just a thought.

Last edited:

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM,

I hunted this spring with a ornthologist from nebraska university,we talked about the bird flu and why kill every bird in the flock,he has done extentive studies the past 15 years.

His input best I can remember:

he's done thousands of PCR's some have trivial mistakes,If a chicken flock has h5n1 or higher pathogenic version it will spread quickly to every bird,killing every bird in the flock,workers will spread the virus on shoes etc.,he claims only logical action is to kill off the flock as quickly as possible,this flu doesn't run it's course like our annual influenza,The possibility of a chicken will be resistant to h5n1 is very low and not worth the risk.

Further when this professor was in S.E. asia several years ago doing a study this flu infected the asian population,he claimed about 50% of the ppl that caught this flu died within a couple days of being infected.although they lacked quality medical care.

He said fortunately the flu doesn't transmit to humans easily or from person to person.

he lectures often and sent me to this site for more information,I thought you or others might want to check out.
"nextstrain.org"

This site shows how far this flu has spread all thru asia and euorpe,even africa.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
is there any way we can VACCINATE our domesticated flocks? (actually kinda serious Q)

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
is there any way we can VACCINATE our domesticated flocks? (actually kinda serious Q)

I'm not sure pumping chemicals into these birds would go over with folks all that well,free range these days .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 148
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51