Bird Flu

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am guessing its a cost/benefit thing too. birds from birth to butcher are like what? 60-90 days. they cost pennies. f you have to destroy a whole flock once every 10 years, BFD really. the cost and effort to vaccinate every bird is probably quite a bit more than the actual bird cost.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
is there any way we can VACCINATE our domesticated flocks? (actually kinda serious Q)

Read this:

The mechanism of “original antigen sin” occurs when the bodyis re-exposed to a slightly evolved or different pathogen during asubsequent exposure. In this case, due to the prior exposure of thefirst antigen, memory lymphocytes do not respond to the variantantigen itself, but instead use their memory, interprets the secondantigen as the original antigen and proceeds with a secondaryresponse to the original antigen. At first glance, this may seem like afavorable phenomenon. The immune system is thus able to morequickly respond to the intrusion. However, the problem arises when the second antigen is sufficiently different from the originalantigen, and the response to the second antigen is not quite precise,leading to a less-effective response and possibly failure to clear thepathogen. In a more extreme example, the immune systemsrecognition of the pathogen is compromised, with a failure of theimmune response to even identify or flag the offending secondaryantigen, leading to a complete evasion of the pathogen from theimmune system, a situation which clearly could have deadly implications (Fig. 2).

Bottom line is that immunization actually makes every chicken die when the get the mutated form - cuz they're bodies are cranking out useless antibodies but doing nothing actually effective. Yeesh. Not an effective course of treatment or investment by the chicken grower.

But don't worry. No chance at all that OAS could happen with COVID vaccines and covid mutations .

Pretty sure anyway, cuz Fauci. #$%^&>

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read this:

The mechanism of “original antigen sin” occurs when the bodyis re-exposed to a slightly evolved or different pathogen during asubsequent exposure. In this case, due to the prior exposure of thefirst antigen, memory lymphocytes do not respond to the variantantigen itself, but instead use their memory, interprets the secondantigen as the original antigen and proceeds with a secondaryresponse to the original antigen. At first glance, this may seem like afavorable phenomenon. The immune system is thus able to morequickly respond to the intrusion. However, the problem arises when the second antigen is sufficiently different from the originalantigen, and the response to the second antigen is not quite precise,leading to a less-effective response and possibly failure to clear thepathogen. In a more extreme example, the immune systemsrecognition of the pathogen is compromised, with a failure of theimmune response to even identify or flag the offending secondaryantigen, leading to a complete evasion of the pathogen from theimmune system, a situation which clearly could have deadly implications (Fig. 2).

Bottom line is that immunization actually makes every chicken die when the get the mutated form - cuz they're bodies are cranking out useless antibodies but doing nothing actually effective. Yeesh. Not an effective course of treatment or investment by the chicken grower.

But don't worry. No chance at all that OAS could happen with COVID vaccines and covid mutations .

Pretty sure anyway, cuz Fauci. #$%^&>

So basically YES, but maybe not a good idea? Maybe a better Vaccine than the one being used?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better vaccine than current, virus mutates, you get wiped out, better vaccine than previous, virus mutates, you get wiped out. When does the cycle end?

Cost of an occasional flock wipe out (purposely killed) and doing nothing on vaccine side is lower than playing the vaccine game apparently?

I’m not a biologist. :)

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you noticed dead robins or blackbirds after the snowstorm(s)? I have seen a few and wondering if it was the storm or possibly the flu bug?

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of the local wildlife photographers said the eagles and red-tail hawks are getting hit really hard. He didn't say anything about songbirds.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The birds of all kinds are doing just fine around Fort KDM. Counted 11 eagles soaring two days ago. Most were juvies, but eagles non the less. Tweety birds of all kinds are mobbing the yard all day every day and the hawks/falcons that hunt them blast into the yard at least 3 times a day so they must be doing fine as well. Red Tails up top are sitting on power poles and fence posts like they always do, so I'm not seeing any drop in their numbers either and to top it off the blankety blank blackbirds have invaded the backyard squawking up a storm and making themselves a nuisance. "Bout business as usual for spring here accept for the 2 plus inches of rain that pummeled us last night. Gotta love water in the basement. (Grrr) I will say I haven't seen any whooping cranes either, but I remain hopeful they will show themselves real soon. I'm kind of over this latest alarm, but will continue to watch the price of eggs and poultry edge continually skyward as the poultry apocalypse continues. Much to my chagrin and displeasure. Well, time to check the pumps, refresh the bird feeders, make another pot of coffee, and generally get on with life without panic. Stay Warm and Dry Everyone!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Atta Boy KDM a positive attitude is what we need more of. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a Turkey Buzzard take the ground hog I got last week. Picked up the whole thing a flew away with it. About an hour later there was 5 or 6 circling overhead. Haven't tried to take the skunk that I shot yesterday yet. Must not be rotten enough yet. LB

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If anyone has seen the feet on a Buzzard all there good for is standing on there food and tearing away on the body it's standing on. They don't grab there food with there feet. For the most part there scavengers.

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasants around the farmyard seem to have survived all these storms just fine. Right after the first blizzard the temps dropped to single digits and the windchills must have been in the negatives for a couple of nights. Robins were huddled up around the buildings and would try and get in the garage every time the door was opened to drive the ranger out to check cows. Saw a few dead robins in the yard but lots made it through, found a few dead meadowlarks out where the cows were huddled up during the storm. Don't know if the cold got them or the cows stepped on them. It was surprising how many birds tried to sit on the hay with the cows during that storm.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The birds here seems healthy too, although about 5 years ago we found several dead birds around the yard in June. They looked sick / skinny , it seemed out of the ordinary with all the trees we have I would have thought they would go out in the woods to die but these were like they died in mid flight.

Today I'm watching a pair of mad magpies stomping around on the ground and assessing thier damage, One of our big evergreens had damage years ago and grew two trunks and magpies had a nest in the crotch , yesterday the ice and wind broke the top in two and magpie nest is on the ground. It's a weaved stick nest about the size of a bushel basket , built well and survived the crash. It actually looks pretty cool so I can see as a yard ornament/conversation piece in the future.

Last Thursday I saw the biggest flock of snow geese in the air that Iv'e ever seen fly over our place, they were plying over non stop all day.
I forgot to look but is there a decent migration website that tracks snow geese ? I was wondering where there were that many birds bunched up.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you noticed dead robins or blackbirds after the snowstorm(s)? I have seen a few and wondering if it was the storm or possibly the flu bug?

I have picked up 3 dead robins in the last week-10 days in my massive expanse of a small yard/driveway that is totally small!!. I found one dead robin underneath my jeep...i surmise it was huddled under there keeping out of wind and perhaps staying warm from the engine heat when i had it running. The other 2 dead ones i found inside the garage door. i surmise they flew into my garage when i had the door open for a couple hours. sad deal

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a Turkey Buzzard take the ground hog I got last week. Picked up the whole thing a flew away with it. About an hour later there was 5 or 6 circling overhead. Haven't tried to take the skunk that I shot yesterday yet. Must not be rotten enough yet. LB

Really LB? Turkey vultures are huge they stand almost 3' tall,usually see them further west,most common vultures we see in the midwest are "pine nut vultures" or more commonly called "fish vultures",either bird could scoop up a woodchuck with ease but usually shred the critter in place unless they are nervous with surrounding,but if you had a turkey vulture up close,pretty rare,thanx for sharing.

Shot a few woodchucks at my place over the years,owls fed good late evening's as the dead critters laid on a wood plank and then redtail hawks took over clean-up detail,redtails are larger than I thought once up close,bet they stand about 2' tall.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow1,
You best brush up on vultures;:;banghead;:;banghead

Pretty well versed....so I thought ,what say you? We have loads of fish vultures around my place,not the strongest flyers as they coast,black wings in a v-shape as they criuse on thermals circling.

But whatever it was at LB's place it did the land n grab.

Curious what the difference is between a vuture and a buzzard maybe same bird? dunno.

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are seeing turkey vultures if in MN.
Buzzard is a slang name for them.
And No, they are not very big birds. Big wing span makes them look big.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I crested a butte a few years back and there was a Golden Eagle tearing something apart, fucking thing was as big as me, I backed up and went back down the butte, was a bit shaky even, as that thing was huge.

Turkey vultures are common around the McKenzie bay area, they are probably bald eagle size, maybe a tad smaller, or so it seems anyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 146
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51