Bleeding Fish

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So when I filet and rinse a fish that wasn't bled out, and the water gets bloody and the flesh turns white - is there actually still icky invisible blood left in the meat that makes it taste gross?!! o_O

If that's the case, then it seems to me that perhaps I was (tragically) dropped on my tongue as an infant and I can't taste this nasty invisible icky residual blood. 😭

Wait - I guess it was a fortunate drop on my tongue.

Winning.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bleed fish , when in my boat i bleed them when i get to the dock in a full live well let them bleed then dump live well no mess.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm often times too lazy to bleed the fish, but when I have I end up with the foamy mess as well. I should probably stop running my livewell pump after I bleed the fish.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep before heading for the dock, reach in tear a gill. Throw on ice when loaded up.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How the hell do you catch fish swimming around in a full livewell to bleed them? I have a large live well.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Always bleed. It's the first thing done at quitting time. Garden snips work best. Pull the valve to pump out the livewell and blood is gone before the ramp. No flopping fish, no blood, no soaking.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always bleed mine as well. Right before I head in, I take the fish out of the livewell, throw them in a bucket, then snip and throw them back into the livewell. Keeps one from getting splattered with blood. I pull the plug on the livewell then put new water in before heading to ramp. Then at cleaning station I rinse out livewell with a bucket of water or hose. I also use a 8" titanium scissors.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've done it both ways. The white clean fillets are really nice but it is a huge pain in the ass trying to cut a livewell full of walleyes.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always bleed them, but in a bucket, not my livewell.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually bleed mine right before I clean them. Whiter fillets and keep better IMO

I put them in a bucket or tote when I take them out of the livewell

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done it both ways. The white clean fillets are really nice but it is a huge pain in the ass trying to cut a livewell full of walleyes.
Here's something to think about: IMO stressed fish are like stressed game. "Live" wells are only "good" for tournaments. Fill with ice, smack heads, clip gills and spike head first into the ice. The heart will continue to pump for a bit...If not trolling; allow the ice to drain over selected spots. Even as I don't know the specific gravity of fish blood I'd try this if I had a boat. This post is giving me deja vu. I think it's a repeat from FBO.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My plan is always to bleed, but it doesn’t always work out because of timing and conditions. Plus 3 on the garden shears for bleeding fish. My winter regiment is to cut throats as soon as I get home and let them bleed out in cold water. I unpack gear, charge electronics, and get my cleaning stuff ready. By that time the fish are dead and bled out. I clean fish and go inside knowing everything is done and I’ll be ready again for the next day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76