Boat Prop

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok my boat is a 2014 stratos 385xf with a f200 on it. Currently running what I believe to be a 21p aluminum Yamaha prop on it. Only getting about 5300 rpms out of it before I'm trimmed up far enough to blow out. I'm thinking I need to go to a lower pitched stainless prop. manufacturer tells me to try a Yamaha saltwater series 19p but I've not read a lot of great stuff about them.

Anyone have one that a guy could try? or anything in the 14"+ x 19p that I could try out? Not really digging the thought of buying 5 props by the time I find the right one. Also looking to try a High 5 21p if it will fit on my Yamaha. Anyone know? I had one on my last boat in 23p and loved it.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will give you the walleye central answer of call Ricky at Brainerd props. He has demo props to try and he will probably have a good idea of what works well with your set up.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No problem running Merc props on a Yamaha. Just need to buy the correct splined hub assembly, they're about $35-$40.

FWIW, I have a 186TFX Yar-Craft w/200 Yamaha and went from a 20P Yamaha SS prop to a 19P Merc Enertia and couldn't believe the difference. Significantly better getting on plane and 2-3MPH faster, especially with a 3-person load. It sticks a corner better and holds a better line with a quartering or side wind as well. I realize we don't have the same boat, but they're fairly similar. Anything from Merc's Comp series in 18-19P is likely to give your boat a good wakeup.

Last edited:

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread but......I just bought a 2005 alumacraft tournament pro 175cs. It's got a 150 Honda on it with a 19 pitch aluminum prop. Only getting 38 out of it. What's a guy to do?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
THanks guys. I called Ricky before I posted this and he said I should try a tempest 19. I just was hoping to not pay the 500+ that he wants for a prop. I know I'm being a cheap ass, but I also am hoping to avoid the shipping costs each way if I gotta swap it lol.

Justwingnit what kind of rpms are you seeing? If your redlining before you get trimmed all the way up you could go up to a 21p prop. Also switching to a ss prop will help a bunch.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Petras, I would suggest a 19p Yamaha Reliance. They are a smaller diameter which should be easier for you to spin up to WOT. Being a bit smaller diameter, they are a bit more finicky about trim but should work well on your setup.

Wingnit, I would suggest you look at a stainless prop. Not sure what they offer from Honda but I would stick close to the pitch your currently in. I would need more info about what pitch and rpm your running to make a really good guess as to what you might need.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure it is aluminum or painted stainless.

- - - Updated - - -

What mph are you running Petra's @ 5300

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm almost 100% sure it's aluminum. It's so damned light when I take it off, theres no friggen way it could be anything other than aluminum or a composite material.

The Reliance was another one that the manufacturer recommended, I'm gonna try to find a decent used either reliance or saltwater series and start there.

@5300 rpm I'm running right around 50 mph or so.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call around and see if the local boat dealers have demo props to try. I know River City Sports in Bismarck will let you demo a prop before you buy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Petie you can try my 19P tempest plus. I'm pretty sure Merc and Yamaha have the same shafts so my Merc hub should work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84