boats

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once was caught in a storm, got back to the loading dock with a bit of time to spare, however the jackass in front of me decided this was the place to tarp his boat, batten down the hatches, bs with his jackass buddy and general shenanigans. At this point there is now about a half dozen boats waiting to rush in and he is blocking the ramp. Took about 3 boats of us honking and yelling at him to finally get him to finish his conversation and get out of the way.
Just about had a fight ensue with one fella and this boat ramp douche, his face was as red as a ripe tomato, never seen a guy turn that color in anger before.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once was caught in a storm, got back to the loading dock with a bit of time to spare, however the jackass in front of me decided this was the place to tarp his boat, batten down the hatches, bs with his jackass buddy and general shenanigans. At this point there is now about a half dozen boats waiting to rush in and he is blocking the ramp. Took about 3 boats of us honking and yelling at him to finally get him to finish his conversation and get out of the way.
Just about had a fight ensue with one fella and this boat ramp douche, his face was as red as a ripe tomato, never seen a guy turn that color in anger before.

I remember that day...we probably could have got the tarp on faster if we hadn't run out of beer earlier :;:sorry

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what a blessing smart phones have become - I used to DREAM about having some sort of weather radar and positioning system telling me right where I am and where the rain/storm is

now I'm pretty much spoiled and think "meh" about the amazing technology - humans are strange :;:huh

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think momma would buy into the I need a bigger hp boat to beat the weather. I do have some stories --- for example -- a nice 621 was in at the marina -- we come pulling in --- the sun was barring down like a SOB on a 3rd weekend in july --- the bite was non-stop - 150 fish day (ok maybe a little BS) anyway we pull up let the women off to go potty. Guy in the 621 looks over and says man I would give anything for that top -- I said yeah and that was it. You know what I wanted to say.

Second line BS --- fishing alkaline and the bite was getting good - labor day weekend. Two couples in a pro-v next to us. its starts raining like a m-f --- downpour. We had the top up as the sun was just as bad - mid afternoon. We look over at em -- they had the goretex on - but you could see the women look over and drool at that top.

Shorthairs lesson -- not necessarily do you need the biggest or the baddest or the fastest. Just get something that makes momma happy and life will be good. :;:cheers Happy Friday boys.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
shorthair are you saying i should take my top out of the rafters and actually install the dang thing on my boat?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll second the top thing, we were fishing at Tobin this fall, and the one day it was shitty weather (rain, at times it down poured, wind, cold, and snow later in the day). Got lucky, and 3 guys had to leave the day before, so got to fish in the boat with the top.:;:rockit It was NICE not getting very wet. Watched guys fishing in open boats, they looked miserable. I would have one but they really don't work on a 1991 - 17.7 foot Warrior with a 75hp tiller.;:;boozer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I toy with the idea of doing this to my tiller every year.

292396_511415148885238_290397432_n.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Driving it onto a beach and taking pics, what's the big deal about that? Or did you mean fishing with 2 dogs in the boat?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a top for my boat but have never used it. It is kinda low and It feels cramped and hard to see out of. A family member used to have a 2121 warrior with a top that was tall enough to walk under and that was really nice!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The downside to owning a glass boats for me is that i am wary of getting super shallow with a heavy glass boat. I have a 19.5 foot aluminum boat that can be run on shore and go very shallow without worry of serious damage. The other downside to a glass boat for me is the need for larger HP motors. Granted i fish devils lake predominantly. If i was a big resevoir fisherman like sak or fort peck i would only have glass. I am also of the opinion that buying an used affordable boat will free up more cash for fishing instead of boat payments. All of the top of the line equipment available is very nice but will never be a substitute for time on the water.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow;60722[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]The downside to owning a glass boats for me is that i am wary of getting super shallow with a heavy glass boat.[/COLOR] I have a 19.5 foot aluminum boat that can be run on shore and go very shallow without worry of serious damage. The other downside to a glass boat for me is the need for larger HP motors. Granted i fish devils lake predominantly. If i was a big resevoir fisherman like sak or fort peck i would only have glass. I am also of the opinion that buying an used affordable boat will free up more cash for fishing instead of boat payments. All of the top of the line equipment available is very nice but will never be a substitute for time on the water.

I'm amazed at the number of 20' glass boats I see fishing the Missouri each spring. A guy just has to accidentally drift onto a sandbar with those things and your screwed. I've seen some of them beached beyond belief , laying on their side, with guys in the 35 degree water trying to get them off. No thanks! I will say i have had a lot of fun over the years worming my way back into a hole with my 16' lund, and then watching the glass boats try to get to me while i sit there and catch walleye. Makes for a fun afternoon.

Ideally it would be nice to have a 17" aluminum for the river & small lakes, and a 20' Glass for the big water. No one boat works great for everything. A guy just has to decide what works best for their fishing style and family.

Last edited:

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks for the input everyone! (and other miscellaneous bull) pulled the trigger on a new Lund Rebel 1750 this morning:;:rockitcant wait till it get here!

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go for sure atleast w/ a 4-stroke motor. I made the mistake w/ my first boat on getting a 2-stroke, the boat was a holdover and an impulse buy and i was pretty young at the time i think 23 if i remember right and didnt do any homework at all. Just wanted a boat, but that thing was so cold blooded it was unreal and the boat was new. I told myself never again would i buy a 2-stroke.

- - - Updated - - -

You fish? I thought you just hung out on NODAK all day.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a mistake of buying a 2 stroke. It was born to troll; it needs very little maintence its good on fuel and sips oil. I do the majority of the light maintenance myself and monitor it with my laptop. I should of bought a 4 stroke so I could spend valuable time running to the shop for oil changes ; and I could troll my crankbaits at a lightening speed and just maybe if I trolled long enough my four stroke would make oil. #$%^&><

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go for sure atleast w/ a 4-stroke motor. I made the mistake w/ my first boat on getting a 2-stroke, the boat was a holdover and an impulse buy and i was pretty young at the time i think 23 if i remember right and didnt do any homework at all. Just wanted a boat, but that thing was so cold blooded it was unreal and the boat was new. I told myself never again would i buy a 2-stroke.

- - - Updated - - -

You fish? I thought you just hung out on NODAK all day.

sorry?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51