boats

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
well I made my way over to the sports show this weekend (bad move). now seriously considering purchasing myself a boat and was just kind of looking for some advice from all the boat gurus on here. what is the best way to go new, used, holdover? and other tips and advice is much appreciated.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is an absolute must, go with the highest HP the boat is rated for from the start, I made this mistake twice already and will never do it again. It might sting off the get go but well worth it in the long haul

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only way I would not go max hp is if the boat is rated for say 350 hp in a 21' or 300 in 20'. I would not be against running the same hp of competing models. Especially if it would get you into a holdover at a really good price. If you are going to buy new, then max hp is a must. I would, depending on available models and budget, consider a glass boat due to the ride qualities.

What are you looking for, price, make model?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
A boat for the most part is a long term investment, if you love it and take care of it should last for years. If this is your first boat it might be hard to get that perfect match right off the bat, however if you do you could easily have the boat for 5-10 years or longer. This is important to consider when absorbing the below of the initial sticker shock.
I selecting a boat first off what are you going to use it for, I assume fishing however some people like to use there fishing boat for water sports and kids too…
What type of bodies of water will the boat be used on?
What are the primary types of fishing the boat will be used for? i.e. cranking, pitching, river fishing, lake fishing? All of these play an important part in how the boat is set up and configured for the type of fishing most suited to your style. This is important if you truly are keeping the boat long term
Max HP yes! this is extremely important especially if you plan on fishing large bodies of water…the only time I would recommend not maxing out HP would be if you always fish on a small lake and you truly are going to use the boat for short fishing trips within sight of your launch point.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
it all depends on what you are going to use a boat for really. If you are the fair weather weekend angler that fishes by himself or with one guy, you can really get away with a lot less boat. If you need a boat for a family of 4 or more that wants to use it for tubing skiing etc you are going to want to go bigger. like mentioned above max hp and glass are in my opinion two important things.

The nice part about buying used is you usually get a boat that is set up and fully rigged without having to pay the retail on all the goodies, if you buy new look at adding about 3-5k for extras easily, plus in nd you pay taxes on a new boat and don't on a used one.

If you are planning on fishing a bunch of tourney's or you run the shit out of your stuff, new and warranty isn't a bad thing to consider. I bought 2 used boats when I was younger and was constantly chasing around problems in them whether it be shoddy wiring or bad maintenance that caused other problems. In 08 I said screw it and bought a brand new skeeter in Bismarck I have been running ever since and it has been a great boat, I had 5 year warranty on the hpdi and never had to use, it good deal depending on you look at it, I guess. The boat has been awesome and I know everything that was ever done to it, which is a good piece of mind I know all year it is stored in a heated shop all the maintenance is done and it hasn't let me down.

As far as keeping your money local, I used to think that was a good idea and believed what the dealership told me about getting my boat in first and priority service, then when it actually came time for them to keep their word, the service guy tells me they tell everyone that buys a boat that, but we can only get so many boats in at once. So after that episode I have no problem buying elsewhere to save the 3-7grand you usually will when you get out of ND. I know a couple guys who have been buying pro/guide boats through the years at discounted prices and would say in ND this is the way to go especially if you know who the guy is beforehand, a lot of them will let you pick what you want and how you want things rigged and run it one year eat the taxes and pass on their pro discounts to you in the fall, probably the best way to go if you are spending in the 40-80k range. otherwise biggest thing is take a used boat to the dealership or out on the water and make sure everything is up to snuff before you spend the money on it, as much as buying a boat seems like an impulse buy you should really do your homework put in the time checking boats and dealerships out,compare prices and decide what you want and don't settle for something that is a POS. best of luck

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
ill be the one to say it. there is nothing wrong with a quality aluminum boat if thats what fits your needs and budget. I will be upgrading to a glass boat in the future but when i bought my Lund it was either buy a nicely rigged aluminum that was taken care of or buy a pos thrashed glass boat without the goodies for the same price. Im in no hurry to get out of my beer can boat, it does everything i ask of it. its not the fastest or the smoothest thing on the water. I have a 115 when im rated for a 150, but i can tow cranks with my big engine and i would need a kicker if i had a 150. Not everyone needs a 21 foot 350+ horse boat. its all about what fits your needs and budget best.
You will have a huge smile no matter what you buy, a 21 foot ranger or a 16 foot tracker, the fish dont care. welcome to boating and have fun man.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you really just have to decide what you want out of a boat. Do you want speed or rough water ride? Do you want a ton of storage or room to hold people? Those are just a few examples. Obviously, there's more variations you could put in there.

In my case, if I'm comparing boats of similar size and horsepower, I'm looking for something with good deck space (because a bass guy is going to stand and cast with rods scattered on the front deck) with some good accessories on it like a strong trolling motor and some decent sized, advanced graphs. Also won't own another boat without power poles but that's another story.

Basically, think about what you really want in a boat and look for that. Personally, I tend to shy away from brand new boats because you can find great deals on boats that have already been rigged with all of the goodies that may be a couple of years older for much much cheaper.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote from fishreaper...You will have a huge smile no matter what you buy, a 21 foot ranger or a 16 foot tracker, the fish dont care."

I agree with this. I know a lot of guys with giant expensive boats that have no idea how to fish. The boat doesn't catch you fish. I would love to have a big ranger like some of my pals but 1. around here they are too big for some of these small sloughs, lakes I fish and/or ramps aren't good enough and 2. I cant afford one. Many of our lakes around here have gravel roads to them and some of my pals won't fish that lake because they are afraid to get boat dirty, chipped etc. I have a 17 lund explorer, side console, 115 merc etc. It really fits my needs and the waters I fish. As others said, figure out what YOUR needs are and narrow down the options. Good luck...searching and looking is the fun part.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
One that you can pay cash for. Or at least dont get carried away with how much you spend. I know alot of people who make 50k and have a 35k boat. not very practical IMO.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with that too. Now many guys are financing boats like a house payment. Make payments for 15 yrs. Crazy. My logical thinking I just can't see paying that much money for something you can't use everyday. Paying 60k for something you'll use for 4-5 months isn't in my thinking or budget. But I guess if I was wealthier I probably would too.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
FishReaper said it best. I have a 14 ft aluminum with a 15hp. It's works for me and the family. I looked for a new boat for 2 months last fall and found a couple that I like just couldn't justify getting one at that time. Mabey in a couple years I might change that thinking.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a manufacturer picture boat that they used for the catalog and Web along with a sales meeting 5 hours on the motor. Save 6k vs the new one plus it came with all the electronics trolling motor etc. A recession is looming. Next fall winter could be the start of bargains. Meanwhile look for a holdover and bargain hard at the shows.

DJE

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally find a newer used boat private party. No sales tax is always nice.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks fellas, always nice to read different perspectives on a topic. wasn't wanting a big flashy glass boat. I would be perfectly content with a 17 ft aluminum with a 90 horse on it, just something to do some river fishin in and an occasional lake or two. would probably never be more than 3 people on board, just want something reliable that isn't going to break the bank.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too, have the sickness. It's easy to start to justify craziness. I have friends who have VERY nice boats, and I feel like I should too. Then I start to think/realize that this is not their first boat, and they have traded up a few times.

I think the number one thing to consider, first and foremost, is your honest budget. If you sucker yourself into a big payment, and a long payment, you're going to be sorry. Or, at least I would be. As much as I love fishing, I don't love macaroni and cheese for the next 10 yrs.

Secondly, boats (along with most recreational activities) take big hits in value during the first year or two. A two year old boat can be a LOT less money than brand new.

And like it's been said above, the fish don't know or care what you're fishing out of. As long as you have something safe and reliable (there's the old man in me talking) everything else comes after. If the boat is constantly in danger of sinking (leaking), or is a bugger to start, you're not going to have much fun.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks fellas, always nice to read different perspectives on a topic. wasn't wanting a big flashy glass boat. I would be perfectly content with a 17 ft aluminum with a 90 horse on it, just something to do some river fishin in and an occasional lake or two. would probably never be more than 3 people on board, just want something reliable that isn't going to break the bank.
Lund Fisherman series for boats in the 2000s
Lund Impacts are their replacement also nice boats
Crestliner Fish hawks are that size and nice boats as well
Ive heard decent things about the newer Trackers but be wary of the older ones.
A look on bisman or walleyecentral will give you lots of options. Some very nice buys out there right now

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lund Fisherman series for boats in the 2000s
Lund Impacts are their replacement also nice boats
Crestliner Fish hawks are that size and nice boats as well
Ive heard decent things about the newer Trackers but be wary of the older ones.
A look on bisman or walleyecentral will give you lots of options. Some very nice buys out there right now

^^^^this^^^^

for what you are looking at doing try to get a 4-stroke...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49