Boots - i want good ones

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried the Danner boot dressing? Use that on my pronghorns that I've had for about 5yrs with no issues. I clean them up good before I start wearing them in the fall and give them a good coating of the boot dressing and wear them well into winter until it gets to cold.(not insulated) Scheels should carry the boot dressing, maybe give that a try. From what I understand a lot of the water proofing/sealers plug up the gore tex and won't allow it to breath where the Danner stuff doesn't.

http://www.danner.com/product/accessories/waterproofing-spray.html

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously the best pair of boots I've ever had was a pair of Georgia boots that I got from a Rocky Mountain Elk banquet. They lasted forever,were warm when they needed to be not to hot for early season use and I swear you couldn't get your feet wet in them if you wanted to. When they finally wore out I went to find another pair and all I could find was work boots from them. If I could go back in time to when I got them I'd buy about 5 pairs my size and never need boots again

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had the cabelas perfekt hunters by meindl for the past 3 years and they have held up well so far, and I think they a really comfy. I like yourself was tired of leaky boats after a year of use glad I upgraded.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kennetreks are not overkill

however I am now wearing Meindels.

Meindels can be worn brand new on a mountain hunt. U would cry if u did that with Kennetreks.

Love u

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It takes a lot of steps to get Kennetreks to feel closer to a hunting boot over a ski boot. They seem like they will last forever and are descent after broken in. That said, I have a portion I have to tape on my heal to not heat up on long treks badlands style. I never had to do that with my Danner Canadians. Those have been my favorite so far.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought the Danners about 16 years ago and wore the brass eyelets right through so they started eating laces like tic-tacs. I wonder if Danner would re-eye them for me?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the Danners about 16 years ago and wore the brass eyelets right through so they started eating laces like tic-tacs. I wonder if Danner would re-eye them for me?

I'd take/send them to Gartner's in Bismarck

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
It takes a lot of steps to get Kennetreks to feel closer to a hunting boot over a ski boot. They seem like they will last forever and are descent after broken in. That said, I have a portion I have to tape on my heal to not heat up on long treks badlands style. I never had to do that with my Danner Canadians. Those have been my favorite so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the shoe repair shop in the South Forks Plaza. That guy can work some magic.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's nothing I went through 2 pairs of Pronghorn in 6 months, one pair after 3 weeks were as waterproof as flip flops. I've had Krispi for almost 3 years now and will gladly shell out $400 for another pair again someday when need.

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunting upland game will wear out boots fast. The leather gets wet right away in the morning then the grass beats up and cuts the leather. Since upland boots need to be light, all the companies started to thin the leather out which makes them blow out like crazy. I use my pronghorns for upland cause they are cheap and comfortable. I have Danner trophys for deer and elk hunting and they are awesome. They did take like 3 years to break in but now they are my favorites.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my kenetrecks. Best boots I have owned after I got them broken in. If I had one bad thing to say about them is you need 100 miles on them before they are really broke in. Other than that they wear like iron. I have been on 3 elk hunts a caribou hunt 1 high country mule deer hunt 4 antelope hunts and countless upland and whitetail hunts in our great state and still look like new

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prior to early season elk hunting last year I purchased the Wolverine uninsulated hunting boot. Very light and 100% waterproof. I had several spots where I was walking in ankle deep water and they stayed 100% dry. Really a great, comfortable boot. I also purchased the 400g thinsulate for deer hunting and that has worked great as well but I only have about 10 miles on those boots. I think Wolverines are overlooked, but well worth the $$.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with Sub Elect, I've got different boots for all different applications. Danner Mountain Hunters in 11" and 7" and Cabelas Elk Hunters which are basically worn out. I don't think either are made anymore. The Danner's get their last elk hunt this year.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kenetreks were 20 percent off with free gators at scheels last fall. If u can get that deal it wouldnt suck.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're looking for a taller boot, lowa or crispi is the way to go. Personally, I would stay away from kennetreks. I still wear my danners late in the season, but from August until December I've been wearing salomon quest 4d gtx. They are a mid hiking boot that is very comfortable and durable.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of all the hunting stuff i have bought, the kentreks are just amazing. I can do hill runs like a jackalope with them.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya im a kenntrek guy for sure, but what they say about the break in period they are not kidding, and i would add some miles to that also i think they claim a 30 mile break in... i would do 50 but i was wearing mine to work and everything before hunting season, never any issues with water good support, i got uninsulated so i wear them for pheasants and upland game they are still perfect, except for where a puppy chewed into the tongue of one of them... :mad:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82