Boot Review - Scheels Crispi Summit

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Scheels has the West River line on sale for $250. Does anyone on here have a pair? If so what are your thoughts? Looking to replace a pair of old Pronghorns.

Look 2 posts above your own.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me know when you are able to roll your ankle in the kenetrek. I've tried everything possible with them and have yet to have that issue anymore!!

They have been great boots. I wear them for everything that involves off road walking.

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased the Crispi Summits at the end of summer 2017. They started out awesome but as I kept wearing them my toes were starting to hurt and they felt too narrow. Thankfully Scheels and Crispi have great customer service as I took them in a few weeks ago and they recommend I try a size up, so out of the store I went with a new pair of Summits. After wearing these around the house and town they are too big and I get too much heal lift. So now I'm starting my search over. Not sure why my original ones were getting worse as I wore them? Never had boots do that before, usually they get more comfortable.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased the Crispi Summits at the end of summer 2017. They started out awesome but as I kept wearing them my toes were starting to hurt and they felt too narrow. Thankfully Scheels and Crispi have great customer service as I took them in a few weeks ago and they recommend I try a size up, so out of the store I went with a new pair of Summits. After wearing these around the house and town they are too big and I get too much heal lift. So now I'm starting my search over. Not sure why my original ones were getting worse as I wore them? Never had boots do that before, usually they get more comfortable.

Meindl Denali. Can be ordered in D or EE width.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meindl Denali. Can be ordered in D or EE width.

i hope with bass pro buying out cabelas and firing the guys who had the deal with Melinda to make boots for them doesn’t mess up that line as they are excellent. Talk on Rokslide of that happening

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the perfect hikers and they are great buddy has the hunters he went and bought another pair just to make sure he has one if they quit making them

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about the Perfekt Hunters? Looking for something with a little insulation in them.
They are called "Perfekt" Hunters for good reason, second best pair of Meindls I have owned, My Taiga's are/were the best pair, cant get them in the US anywhere, they are available in Germany and Australia tho..... Also have a pair of Denalis, a good boot, but not as comfortable as the Perfect Hunters or Taiga's, for my feet anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish Scheels had them. Hate order boots without trying them on first.
I had to order three pairs of the Perfekt Hunters to get the fit right, Go to Meindls website, they have a sizing guide there, trace your foot on piece of typing paper,(unless you are something like a size 12 or larger), then using freezer paper. Measure the length and width of both feet in MM I believe, email the pics to Meindl, BOOM, perfect fit! Worked for me anyway, didn't realize I needed a EE(wide) in there boot until I did this..

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are called "Perfekt" Hunters for good reason, second best pair of Meindls I have owned, My Taiga's are/were the best pair, cant get them in the US anywhere, they are available in Germany and Australia tho..... Also have a pair of Denalis, a good boot, but not as comfortable as the Perfect Hunters or Taiga's, for my feet anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to order three pairs of the Perfekt Hunters to get the fit right, Go to Meindls website, they have a sizing guide there, trace your foot on piece of typing paper,(unless you are something like a size 12 or larger), then using freezer paper. Measure the length and width of both feet in MM I believe, email the pics to Meindl, BOOM, perfect fit! Worked for me anyway, didn't realize I needed a EE(wide) in there boot until I did this..

Do you have the extremes or just the regular ones? For me I don't see much need for the extremes unless they are a better boot.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the perfekt boots. Only one full season on them, but that includes everything from early season upland, bow hunting in the badlands, and late season goose and upland. They have been awesome boots. I was able to try them on at EGF cabelas and bought them so I can fit a liner and good hiking sock in them. The socks really help to fill out the boot and get a great snug fit without being too tight in one area.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been a Mendel guy for years. This year purchased ultralight uninsulated.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/foo...abelas-ultralight-hunter/2498565.uts?slotId=1

Major disappointment. Slipped them on and began walking around and said to my son something is wrong. No insole what so ever. Bottom flat as a 2x4. Took 'em off and looked at the tongue label. Made in Vietnam.

Stopped at Redwing and picked up some inserts. You know the one where a fellow stands on the screen and it measures your needed weight distribution. Most excellent.

However, this shoe comes with broke-in leather flexibility. On side hill terrain, your foot can extend/roll/slop over the side of the sole. Ridiculous.

Hope Mendel keeps the rest of their production line in Germany.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep the ultralights are the cheap boot i have a pair of them and for the price they have done what i expect but no where in the same field as the german made ones

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the regular, not Extremes.

- - - Updated - - -

Have been a Mendel guy for years. This year purchased ultralight uninsulated.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/foo...abelas-ultralight-hunter/2498565.uts?slotId=1

Major disappointment. Slipped them on and began walking around and said to my son something is wrong. No insole what so ever. Bottom flat as a 2x4. Took 'em off and looked at the tongue label. Made in Vietnam.

Stopped at Redwing and picked up some inserts. You know the one where a fellow stands on the screen and it measures your needed weight distribution. Most excellent.

However, this shoe comes with broke-in leather flexibility. On side hill terrain, your foot can extend/roll/slop over the side of the sole. Ridiculous.

Hope Mendel keeps the rest of their production line in Germany.
I ordered a pair of the Ultralights also, sent them back, got the Denalis, MADE IN GERMANY, no comparison...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would seem that no two feet are alike. I like soft-sided boots as I've never had an issue with rolling an ankle.

For the life of me, I can't imagine ever wanting to order boots online with the differences between manufacturers in sizing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabela’s/Meindl is doing a bit of what danner did. Make a limited line of fantastic boots. Then, when the name grows, throw in some Asia/Pacific made dogshit and hope most people buy the name and don’t notice.

The Made in Germany stuff is still excellent. You have to look @ the descriptions online though. “Made in Germany” is listed as such. “Imported” likely means Asia/Pacific crap.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another good shoe was Ecco. Handmade in Portugal. It's a dress shoe not a hunting boot and walking through buckbrush will eat away the thread holding the top on. So I poured orilla glue over the seam. Bubbled up and made a nice seal but looked like shit. We were hunting pigs in Texas and the landowner said you guys think we are the rednecks.

Was in Scheels talking about this very thing. Why do companies hook us with a great product and then outsource? Started bragging up Ecco and the salesman laughed. Look here......made in Czechoslovakia.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have been buying Ecco's for 5 years now. First ones last 3 years, next ones lasted a year a piece and am do for another set... I guess its time to find another dress shoe.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88