Boy and I double up this weekend

7mmshooter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weekend started with my boy and I going to our food plots shooting house. It is his first yr bow hunting and his 4th sit this yr. The nite was winding down and we just got busted by a doe and fawn and small forkhorn. So I decided to start packing up but told him to keep his arrow nocked we still had a few min but no deer in sight. I no more than turned around and a good buck is standing at 14 yds where he came from I don't no. I crawled across the floor below window. Wispered to do what we practiced. I had no idea if deer still there but he pulled walked slowly to window I was behind him and sure enough deer still there. I said right behind shoulder and shoot. He made a good shot and deer expired under a 100 yds. I wasn't sure if he fell over or bedded so I made him wait 2 hours. That was a long wait for his first deer. Needless to say I was a happy dad and he a happy boy. The weekend and season were made. It happened so fast We still weren't sure which deer it was but it ended up being the one he wanted to shoot. He said he just wanted a 4x4. Not bad for a first deer just missing P&Y.

Now Sat. I get to go after my dream buck. I've got quite a history with. I actually found the deer 3yrs ago I stuck a camera in the middle of a dry slough bed in middle of nowhere pretty much. I got 1 pic of a goofy looking deer with a bunch of small pts kind of all over may be 18 pts. He didn't really get my attention to much that yr. So following yr I take cam back to that spot and there he is and he has about 18 pts again but this time a 9.5 in. Drop. So the hunt is on its almost season at this point. I get a stand hung first nite out nothing but as I'm approaching my pickup there he stands with just enough horizon lite to see him bad his drop right by my truck. I figured I screwed it up bumping him but 2 weeks into season here he comes. Full velvet 9 in drop coming perfect. Last min. He changes path and I gotta lean back and shoot straight down. For some reason my nock flew off when I shot and ended up 30 yds in the corn. And the arrow sticking in the grass with nothing but hair on it. I was pretty depressed at this point. He went nocturnal for 2 weeks then was gone. 2.5 months later I find him again 3 miles away. It is Nov 30 I believe about 0 degrees with 20mph wind. I made a make shift blind on the ground and here he comes. But he never comitted I took a shot to this day yell at myself for taking in thoughs conditions he was broadside at 50yds out of my comfort zone but it was cold and I was frustrated. Luckly a clean miss and I was done hunting him for the year. Come spring I found half of his shed and neighbor other half so new he was alive. I told my self I bet he grows a double next yr. So this yr take cam out first pic I get a double drop. The hunt is on again. First encounter opening Sunday he come from a 1000 yds just to hold up at 80 yds for 45 min. With not much for daylite cam photos I decided to hunt a old rotten stand I built a long time ago with a lawn chair screwed in it this stand is very close to his bedroom. . It was a bit scary but on cue here he comes and sensed no danger held up for couple min but then resumed and came by at 22 yds. I thought made perfect shot he was quartered to a bit but tucked behind shoulder. I had some guts on arrow so left him over nite. Long nite for sure but a 5 min. Recovery in morning made it worth it. He is a bucket list buck for sure for me. His drops are 11.25 and 6.25 with a total of 32.25 inches of nontypical. He scored roughly 147 to 153gross . He's a tough one to score but that means nothing on this deer. He also field dressed at 210pounds what a beast my biggest bodied buck I'd say. My boy just says best weekend ever I'd have to agree. I hope I can upload the pics.

Attachments

0919151012a.jpg 0920150803b.jpg 5691.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is one gnarly looking buck. Congratulations to you and the boy. Fresh backstraps!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Excellent, congratulations.

I hope to someday do the same when my boy ages some like a fine whiskey.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That story will be passed along at least for a century. This is beyond awesome.Thumbs Up:cool:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's likely to take a good long time before the 2 of you or any other 2 man team will top that, but it'll be fun trying.

Well done.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
A really nice story and great memories for you both. :;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54