Broken boat windsheild

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey everyone. I had the pure joy of breaking a window out on my boat last weekend and will finally have the chance to go out and get estimates tomorrow. Of course its the curved piece that wraps around the drivers side of the boat. Anyways its on a 2001 champion fishhunter 194. That probably won't help me too much as they dont make that boat anymore but was wondering where some of you have gone for estimates in the Bismarck/Mandan area.

Thanks
Rob

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ugh, feel for you man. My dad broke out the curved port side one last year and when my mom was towing it this year, she busted out the middle section.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can install a piece of plexi glass and you won't know the difference. I did it on my curved window. buy a piece at menards that is a little bigger than the whole opening. then clamp the end of the glass top and bottom by the middle door. Then clamp on top midway between there and where the curve starts. Then get a couple heat guns and get a guy on the outside and one on the inside. Heat at the start of the curve and as you heat it it'll curve and you just work your way around the curve. You can clamp along the top as you go if you need to. Once it's all bent to shape, take a dry erase marker and trace the opening onto the glass. Then determine how deep the glass sits in the weather stripping and cut it out that much beyond the marks. you can cut it with a jig saw with a metal blade in it. Cut about medium speed if you have a variable speed saw. Then peel off the protective coating and take the frame apart and install it. Works like a champ. sounds harder than it is. you'll have to measure the opening in the rubber to determine the thickness. Mine was 3/16 I think.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
No shock(but I know what you are saying) I have heard already about this travesty and just not looking forward to having to deal with it.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told by a friend that had his windshield on a Skeeter WX1880 get busted out that it was $1700 and he had to buy the entire windshield. He couldn't just buy the piece he needed. I think TaylorMade makes all the full windshields on boats now so you shouldn't have a problem getting one.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
As crazy as this sounds I had just won a tow protector that goes on the hitch at a silent auction over at Kupper this last weekend and installed it that night. This is the one that fits around the hitch and has a bunch of bristles hanging down with a metal rod on the back side of the bristles for added support. Went fishing the next morning made it to the lake just fine no breaks yet. Got done fishing and headed home and didn't even realize it had broke till I pulled in my Fathers driveway. Not a good add on to a day as fishing sucked and dropping some cash on a rock guard that either didn't work or someone else got me. Either way my disappointed looking faced turned to extremely unhappy attitude. Oh the joys of boat ownership
passerby get you or does the super tundra just not have mudflaps

- - - Updated - - -

all honesty try giving these guys a call https://www.updplastics.com/windshield-manufacturers/champion-boat-windshields/
unless insurance is covering, then let them get one shipped in and installed

Big Tiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just replaced my port side windshield on my Skeeter this week. Glass was $495 plus tax and shipping!! All could have been prevented by using the windshield protector laying on the garage floor!!( Lesson Learned!! Until I get lazy after washing it) I think the labor estimate was around $200, did it myself because I didn't want to tow it for 400 miles round trip to the dealer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote for my lund 1900 windshield was $2500. every boat I know of you have to buy the whole thing if you buy from manufacturer/dealer. If it's a flat piece a glass shop can do it for cheap. Curved pieces your screwed. I have seen some for sale recently on various places on the net for various boats. one side or the other or whatever.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought a TruXedo windshield cover for the boat this year...takes an extra 2 minutes to cover before heading home...best $130 insurance I've ever spent!

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey everyone. I had the pure joy of breaking a window out on my boat last weekend and will finally have the chance to go out and get estimates tomorrow. Of course its the curved piece that wraps around the drivers side of the boat. Anyways its on a 2001 champion fishhunter 194. That probably won't help me too much as they dont make that boat anymore but was wondering where some of you have gone for estimates in the Bismarck/Mandan area.

Thanks
Rob

I have a portside curves taylormade windshield in the classifieds on here I do belive

- - - Updated - - -

Screenshot_20170915-180254.jpg

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a taylormade spontaneously explode into trillions of nearly invisible barefoot slicing pieces, while trolling a few years back, replaced the whole thing with plexiglass and will never again buy a boat with a walk through wind shield from that scam company. Taylormade, walk away.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
dealers/taylormade should be required to sell pieces/parts to these damn things

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
dealers/taylormade should be required to sell pieces/parts to these damn things

No shit.... on my 2004 Crestliner that model and year was already discontinued and I pretty much had to buy a whole complete brand new setup and when I got it it looked exact same as the old windshield

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a portside curves taylormade windshield in the classifieds on here I do belive

- - - Updated - - -

hotspotfl_17_11_2017_9_51_46_748.jpg

Man so close to bad i broke the other side. Mine has a little seperat window on the side behind the curve.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No shit.... on my 2004 Crestliner that model and year was already discontinued and I pretty much had to buy a whole complete brand new setup and when I got it it looked exact same as the old windshield
it's a scam

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate all the input. But I still am wondering who people have used in the past to get their replacement windsheild. I am still having troubles even getting a quote from a local shop here in town(Bismaeck). I keep hearing the same excuse over and over. Decided to contact the company myself hopefully I get a reply.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
dwaynes body shop off of expressway has a boat and camper shop that should at least be able to get you a quote

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33