The Problem Facing ND Waterfowl Hunting

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Complaining is when you aren't offering solutions, since you didn't notice that's what we are doing. In fact I asked suggestions in my very first post where I talked through all I researched. Care to contribute something useful? Or is shut up and deal with it the best you got even though the general consensus is that there is a problem?

3 solutions: 1. Pay somebody to hunt in Canada. 2. Hunt in the spring. 3. Do more due diligence and shoot way more birds than the next guy.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not only are the NR numbers getting bad but some of them are starting to tie up a bunch of land. This is going to ruin hunting as we know it and pretty soon we will be like Texas where only the rich man can hunt

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not only are the NR numbers getting bad but some of them are starting to tie up a bunch of land. This is going to ruin hunting as we know it and pretty soon we will be like Texas where only the rich man can hunt

It isn't just Texas. SD has sold it's soul to pheasant hunting. The land purchasing, leasing, and commercial operations are slowly killing the resident hunter here. The only thing keeping this from happening with waterfowl hunting is the license cap. But as I said, that is slowly being eroded as well.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know the number of SD non resident hunters per year so we can compare apples to apples?

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure you're not serious about that. That is just a bad idea. Don't make hunting a rich man's sport more than it already is.

As a fkn heart attack, not a rich man's sport, we live here we should come first but were sold out by Hoeven and the rest of the leftists for the sake of economic development.

- - - Updated - - -

You could have coffee with local farmers right now and they would call you when they see birds.

Some might but it's a pretty tight knit group, we're prety secretive especially when our kids hunt. We get along all year and come November it's like classified information.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pay to hunt mindset is an ice covered mountain. Once it started sliding there's no way to stop it. You're going to have a few farmers that will let anyone hunt but those guys are getting smaller and smaller. I don't blame a farmer for getting some cash in exchange for the animals he's fed. But, the days of walking up to a door and asking for permission are quickly going away. It sucks but it's the reality of all hunting. Why do you think you see more fisherman these days? Or more people hunting public land? I know if I had some land and someone was willing to pay me to hunt, I'd probably hold out for those type of people as well.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Small town economies benefit from NR hunters, capping the number of them would be stupid

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I'm sure you're not serious about that. That is just a bad idea. Don't make hunting a rich man's sport more than it already is.
When a dozen decoys can cost upwards of $400 and every Tom Dick and Harry is pulling around an enclosed trailer full of them, I have no problem making the price of a NR lisc go up at least another hundred bucks or so.
If you've done any waterfowling whatsoever you know that the lisc is the cheapest part of if by far.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It isn't just Texas. SD has sold it's soul to pheasant hunting. The land purchasing, leasing, and commercial operations are slowly killing the resident hunter here. The only thing keeping this from happening with waterfowl hunting is the license cap. But as I said, that is slowly being eroded as well.

you think its that bad i live in the heart of pheasant country and can go as much as i want and have never been told no to hunt waterfowl.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every duck I kilt last year was shot on land open to the public. 13 trips and me and the boy were the only public we saw, except for some road pheasant hunters my 1st day out.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every duck I kilt last year was shot on land open to the public. 13 trips and me and the boy were the only public we saw, except for some road pheasant hunters my 1st day out.

Granted, you aren't exactly in big time waterfowl country as far a NR traffic goes.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I do think it's that bad. I hunt in the same general area as you and it's the best for access in the state. That said, I've seen enough guys Go south or east and access becomes tough. And without living there or local connections it can be hard for guys to get their foot in the door to find a rooster to shoot. It's still who you know. Waterfowl access thank goodness has remained really good in a lot of areas. The cap has not allowed the commercial operations to pop up. I have been very fortunate to maintain access. Unfortunately I've seen access disappear for nearly all of my friends in the past 5 years for pheasant hunting. And, after marrying into a family that has great pheasant land in the south central part of the state, I now know what commercialized hunting is. You WILL NOT find a place to hunt by knocking on doors there. Ever. Period. It's sad.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up in Watertown so I know about east. 2 years ago was in Mitchell for a family thing in December asked at 4places 2 let me on and they did not know me. Deer hunting is where I see no getting on unless you are really in the know and not because of guides but because people like big deer for them selves.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88