Butterfly Your Bluegill

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of bullshit for a bluegill. Let them bulls swim and fry pike or walleye… imo

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some guys just have to complain about anything. Some lakes you can fish all day and gills are all you’ll catch. Seems like a good way to make use, especially when kids want to bring fish home. We’ve had bluegill tacos for dinner many nights at the camper.

My gramps used to fry whole sunnies and crappie, you get a lot more meat that way than you’d think.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scale'em, cut the head and pec fins off, gut'em, pull the dorsal fin, and deep fry the rest. Ate LOTS of panfish that way with my grandparents and loved every one of them. Nothing wrong with a wire basket full of 8-9 inch bluegills and a pan full of fried potatoes. Now I'm hungry.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When we catch a load of sunnies the wife scales and I cut head off and drop the guts and then I take a heavy scissors and cut off all the fins. When you fry they open up along the back and you just peal the meat off. Just need to be careful of the top fin bones. Delish. They call them pan fish for a reason.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread has me fish hungry

My old age,lazy ways,fillet with electric knife, totally boneless,sometimes ill use a spoon to scale fish in the sink half full of water to keep scales from going airborne...cold water gills,perch,crappie ,the best,skin on even better,

Another take,Asian friends use the entire fish,lop the headoff,couple swipes with meat clever removing scales,fishhead ,egg sacks into a big pot for soup,they dip fish in to a tempera for a tasty coating,i pass on the fishhead soup...watching them suck the eye balls out...nope,that dog won't hunt.

Last edited:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I've ever eaten a bluegill. We take the kids to one of the bays in town and let them catch bluegill nonstop and they have a blast, but we've never kept them. However, I do make a few ice fishing trips to the Jamestown Reservoir for some Crappie. Those make some dang good fish tacos and they are fun catch.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back 50 years ago in central minnesota ole 12' or 14' lund boat wooden seat basket clipped in ore hole limit was 40 take back to farm scale with spoon, cut head, filet, leave tail fins fry in oil fin gets crispy nothing better period.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a video somewhere where they used a clipboard and then descaled them with a pressure washer. I wonder if that actually works?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back 50 years ago in central minnesota ole 12' or 14' lund boat wooden seat basket clipped in ore hole limit was 40 take back to farm scale with spoon, cut head, filet, leave tail fins fry in oil fin gets crispy nothing better period.
I 100% second the "crispy tail" as the best part of a whole-fried bluegill. Doesn't seem right, but it is.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
LMB taste good. Bleed/ice. Don't kill over 2lbs.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I saw some kind of stainless basket you put them in and turn it on must have sharper edges inside scales them?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88