Calling All Boat Mechanic/ Armchair Mechanics Motor Problems

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW I always try Sea Foam before I pull a carb , Lots of people don't like Sea Foam but I sure do.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had used nothing but stabil in the boat until last year and used it after seeing it bring a pawn shop Jiffy auger back to life.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 93 merc will not start unless the motor is relatively level with the water and has done that since it was new. Steep ramp i tilt the motor up so the top is parallel with the water surface

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lot's of good ideas posted. It'll probably be something simple by the time you get it figured out.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect the Angle of the dangle.

Chris Skager

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks everyone!! Now I have another question. Everything you guys have said makes since but I don't know the difference between a fuel filter and an impeller. LoL clueless on motors! Who can look it over for me or who should I take it to?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes when my stuff isn't working right I find it helps to swear at it, and even yell at my wife a bit. Never fixes the problem, but sure makes the vein in my forehead look cool.

I am guessing your best bet is a trip to the mechanic shop, they can hook it to the scanner and see what the issues are. Seems its always ended up cheaper for me to have a mechanic look at it, and then fix it, rather than me spending a bunch of time and money fixing stuff that maybe isn't broken, then breaking stuff trying to fix it. Plus you are wasting fishing time working on it.

Good luck, if you are out west Paul at Dakota Sports does excellent work.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect the Angle of the dangle.

Very possible the angle of the dangle and the motion of the ocean are the culprits here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes when my stuff isn't working right I find it helps to swear at it, and even yell at my wife a bit. Never fixes the problem, but sure makes the vein in my forehead look cool.

I am guessing your best bet is a trip to the mechanic shop, they can hook it to the scanner and see what the issues are. Seems its always ended up cheaper for me to have a mechanic look at it, and then fix it, rather than me spending a bunch of time and money fixing stuff that maybe isn't broken, then breaking stuff trying to fix it. Plus you are wasting fishing time working on it.

Good luck, if you are out west Paul at Dakota Sports does excellent work.

Key factor here, if you ain't yelling at the wife and blaming it on her, you ain't doin it right.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very possible the angle of the dangle and the motion of the ocean are the culprits here.

I was meaning to agree with the folks who said to level the motor when trying to start it independent of ramp-angle. Jumpin' Jiminy Crickets, I'm speaking "Svnese".

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Johnr said.... my brother in law refuses to take his vehicles to a mechanic until he has wasted at least 20 hours driving back and forth to the parts store/junk yard, 100 hours on line doing what we are doing here (haha) and a minimum of 500 bucks on stuff that was just fine to begin with.... if you guys are not familiar or mechanicaly inclined you will prob be better off in the long run going that route.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check the coils and make sure they are producing goood spark, get fresh non ethanol gas, clean carberatur and inspect.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it will be awhile before it gets fixed, I have never fished Darling and can fish 3 in mine...

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Ran this question by a mechanic buddy of mine. He said that there may be a ground wire goofed up. So when u put the motor into the water, it is grounding itself. When u have the boat in the water check to see if u have spark. If not, there is a ground wire loose or rubbed thru somewhere.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Darling is insane right now by the way people. Go shallow, and then a bit more after you think you're there. Happy slammin.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
skager I go on days off Thursday at 6 am. pm me your number and next time I get into minot I will stop by n have a look at it for ya.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a quick connector for the fuel line right at the back of the motor, they have been known to let air in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84